Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Michigan: social programs, parenting help, advice, lawyer, news.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:47 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,414,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
No one has said places aren't different, I have lived all over the country, of course there are different cultures. There is good and bad everywhere.
When the government has gone wrong, that is beyond "good" or "bad." That's oppressive. We're not talking about heavier than normal snow, mosquitos or humidity. We're talking about a culture that has gone crooked... whose moral compass has shaken from a righteous direction.

There is good and bad everywhere. However, the point that matters is that we choose where we live based on how severe the bad compared to the good. Michigan is worse than most states right now and these articles reaffirm it.

Quote:
If that story is the tip of the iceberg, please post something showing the rest of the iceberg in Michigan.
Come on. You can't hear because your hands are over your ears?

Oh, I don't know... Kwame Kilpatrick and the city council. The demise of the former Big 3. Jennifer Granholm and her pathetic leadership through, rather than out of, a one-state depression. The government near-shutdown. The statewide, pathetic failure of the education system to deliver a competitive workforce for thirty plus years. People running for their lives from Michigan as if the whole state was on fire.

These are the manifestations of that iceberg. Little stories like the lemonade kid are like the sun glistening against the snow... it grabs your attention to see it more clearly.

Quote:
I'd also like to see why it is that it could only happen in Michigan, .
I disagree with the premiss of the first question. I'll answer it in this rephrase: Why is it more likely to happen in Michigan than another state?

Because the people of Michigan have lost their sense of independance. They look to the government to fix everything rather than taking responsibility for themselves. The citizens of Michigan look to people who are good at getting elected to fix the problems that only they, themselves, are qualified to fix.

Quote:
show me what other states are doing so differently
Check that link talking about the VW plant possibly locating to AL in the "union" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bydand
Quote:
Originally Posted by OT
I could go on for an hour about the differences between the cultures of CO, OR and MI. I could spend some time on cultural differences between the East and the South I've experienced visiting family. And the cultures aren't just a little different; it's not just a prevalence of certain foods or accents; they're vastly different.
So just visiting an area makes you know all the nuances and the entire culture of that area now?
No and how you distill that conclusion from my post is an impressive fight against reason.

Last edited by One Thousand; 04-30-2008 at 06:55 PM..

Old 04-30-2008, 07:04 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,200,598 times
No they aren't, I am not naive, I simply don't complain, instead I act on problems. I am involved politically and I spend my life doing what I can to make the world a better place.

Oh, I don't know... Kwame Kilpatrick and the city council. The demise of the former Big 3. Jennifer Granholm and her pathetic leadership through, rather than out of, a one-state depression. The government near-shutdown. The statewide, pathetic failure of the education system to deliver a competitive workforce for thirty plus years. People running for their lives from Michigan as if the whole state was on fire.

Some real problems, some challenges and some your opinion.

These are the manifestations of that iceberg. Little stories like the lemonade kid are like the sun glistening against the snow... it grabs your attention to see it more clearly.

I'll say it again, the lemonade story could have happened anywhere.

I disagree with the premiss of the first question. I'll answer it in this rephrase: Why is it more likely to happen in Michigan than another state?

Because the people of Michigan have lost their sense of independance. They look to the government to fix everything rather than taking responsibility for themselves.

Bull, Im surrounded by people working to make a difference

Check that link talking about the VW plant possibly locating to AL in the "union" thread.[/quote]

Last edited by detshen; 04-30-2008 at 07:14 PM..

Old 04-30-2008, 07:38 PM

26 posts, read 47,839 times
Default This is crazy

Yep Detroit is going to the dogs and everyone has moved-- please someone tell me why I-94, I-96, I-75, I-275 and 696 is a freaking parking lot every morning!! That must be everyone leaving the state in droves!!

The hard lemonade incident happened- as stated the sign said mikes lemonade-- did you read the full article? The dad is an archeologist and does not spend much time in the states and has no idea about half of the novelty alchoholic beverages out there.

According to One THousand -- daddy has done it a hundred times and just got caught!!

Hey go find something and just beat it to the ground!!

Nobody even mentions how Detroit was one of the cities that put this country let alone the state, on the map during the industrial revolution!! Henry Ford, Charles Brady King, William Durant, Ransom E. Olds, David Dunbar Buick -- can go on and on!!

Later came the UAW, one of the strongest organized labor organizations, sure they shot themselves in the foot, and many other incidents happened to contribute to the slow death.

I believe that this state will revolutionize the energy sector and most of us will be surprised!! There are ALOT of folks here that are very passionate about this state and love it-- many even come back because it is HOME!!!

Bash all you would like and enjoy your life of digging dirt on your neighbor, county and government it really wont fix nothing!! Being kicked while down just makes one smarter and tougher!!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:39 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,414,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Some real problems, some challenges and some your opinion.
More of the tip of the iceberg. Michigan is in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentshen
I'll say it again, the lemonade story could have happened anywhere.
Again. "Could" implies a big range of possibilities. For example, yes it could happen anywhere if a group of elitist dirtbags got together to take a man's parental rights away. You see? That's why I don't like "could."

The reality is that it happened in Michigan while the government-- again, the manifestation of the people-- is crooked at the highest levels, in the largest city and now it's being demonstrated nationally that the crookedness is at the bottome too.

That's the significance of this story. Not just that a few people colluded to steal a person's child, but that it speaks to the amazing breadth that the immorality has penetrated the government.

It could of happened anywhere... but if lightning strikes more than once, I'm going to start looking for a lightning rod. Michigan's lightning rod is it's culture.

Quote:
Bull, Im surrounded by people working to make a difference
Depending on how you're making a difference, Michigan may need more of it. Denying the sun is coming up when I'm blinded by the light, however, isn't exactly what I'd call "making a difference" for the positive.

tah tah

Old 04-30-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
More of the tip of the iceberg. Michigan is in trouble.

Again. "Could" implies a big range of possibilities. For example, yes it could happen anywhere if a group of elitist dirtbags got together to take a man's parental rights away. You see? That's why I don't like "could."

The reality is that it happened in Michigan while the government-- again, the manifestation of the people-- is crooked at the highest levels, in the largest city and now it's being demonstrated nationally that the crookedness is at the bottome too.

That's the significance of this story. Not just that a few people colluded to steal a person's child, but that it speaks to the amazing breadth that the immorality has penetrated the government.

It could of happened anywhere... but if lightning strikes more than once, I'm going to start looking for a lightning rod. Michigan's lightning rod is it's culture.

Depending on how you're making a difference, Michigan may need more of it. Denying the sun is coming up when I'm blinded by the light, however, isn't exactly what I'd call "making a difference" for the positive.

tah tah
Do you know anything about social services? It' a mess in all states because of the US nanny government. I have a social worker friend in another state whose stories would blow your mind, in many states he could have lost his son for months and ended up in AA or jail. You aren't showing that you have any real understanding of places outside MI if you think that's a MI thing.

I do a hell of a lot more than talk and write, can you say the same? Are you involved in political causes? do you go to the capitol and speak on behalf of things you want changed, do you spend you free time educating others on problems? I do. I am not naive, far from it, but I don't use that as an excuse to complain.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
The only thing for you to say about this situation is "Yes, it's a screwed up story and all parties involved over-reacted and infringed on the rights of the parents because they chose not to use some basic common sense. We do have problems here. In regard to this one, this is how I've been active: A, B, C. The organization I'm involved in to make these changes is X."

That'd be the end of the story between you and I. However, you spent your day trying to deny reality.
I did not deny, I said we had problems here,did you even read my posts?

we clearly don't understand each other, the whole point of my posts are that we have problems, but that's no excuse for always being negative about Detroit and michigan and spreading it around.

Last edited by detshen; 04-30-2008 at 08:31 PM..

Old 04-30-2008, 08:32 PM

88 posts, read 343,832 times
Why is this thread 5 pages long?? One Thousand wanted to make a point...most on here disagreed and that's it!! 1000 is entitled to his opinion and everyone else is too. Why are you taking the bait?? Damn, move on....

Old 04-30-2008, 10:03 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,797 times
Red face Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjefftrain View Post
Why is this thread 5 pages long?? One Thousand wanted to make a point...most on here disagreed and that's it!! 1000 is entitled to his opinion and everyone else is too. Why are you taking the bait?? Damn, move on....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan