Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Michigan: social programs, parenting help, advice, lawyer, news.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:12 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,414,197 times

Advertisements

So some reject buys his 7yr old a bottle of "Mike's Hard Lemonade." The guy takes him to a baseball game or something and a guard spots it.

The kid gets taken by ambulance to a hospital and the parents lose custody.

Think about this: The guy took the kid into public. It's not very obvious that the stuff has alcohol. The kid drank half a bottle of beer... and the state took away these people's kid.

Chock another one for reasons not to live in MI.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:26 AM

550 posts, read 2,052,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
So some reject buys his 7yr old a bottle of "Mike's Hard Lemonade." The guy takes him to a baseball game or something and a guard spots it.

The kid gets taken by ambulance to a hospital and the parents lose custody.

Think about this: The guy took the kid into public. It's not very obvious that the stuff has alcohol. The kid drank half a bottle of beer... and the state took away these people's kid.

saying that that is another reason not to live in michigan is ridiculous!!!
You have NO idea what social services in another state would do! and i'm sorry, it is obvious that mikes HARD lemonade has alcohol in it.......doesn't mean that as a small kid i wasn't given a sip of beer every once in a great while-but that was at our home and it was a SIP!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
saying that that is another reason not to live in michigan is ridiculous!!!
Okay... but if someone's considering two states and a news segment comes on speaking negatively about one, I guarantee it's going to make a difference.

Quote:
You have NO idea what social services in another state would do!
True. However, I'd prefer to play a game which gives me a chance to win rather than one I'm guaranteed to lose. Get it?

Quote:
and i'm sorry, it is obvious that mikes HARD lemonade has alcohol in it
Mike's was out for years before I tried it because I thought it was lemonade. Not until a bunch of women at a barbecue were drinking it did I know there was alcohol in it.

Why it's obvious to you, I don't know. Why it wasn't obvious to me? It looked like soda.

Another one! Can you believe this? Michigan in the national news twice today.

Taylor, MI, a whack-job spraypainting graffitti on his house and using a toilet in his front yard.

National news? Twice. What's up with that?

Last edited by One Thousand; 04-30-2008 at 09:59 AM..

Old 04-30-2008, 10:10 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,200,598 times
Quote:
Okay... but if someone's considering two states and a news segment comes on speaking negatively about one, I guarantee it's going to make a difference.

True. However, I'd prefer to play a game which gives me a chance to win rather than one I'm guaranteed to lose. Get it?

Mike's was out for years before I tried it because I thought it was lemonade. Not until a bunch of women at a barbecue were drinking it did I know there was alcohol in it.

Why it's obvious to you, I don't know. Why it wasn't obvious to me? It looked like soda.

Another one! Can you believe this? Michigan in the national news twice today.

Taylor, MI, a whack-job spraypainting graffitti on his house and using a toilet in his front yard.

National news? Twice. What's up with that?
Have you ever lived anywhere else? I lived in Ca and some moron stole a tank and took it for a joyride around San Diego, my parents called me from MI asking what was up with the weird people in CA. Stupid things happen everywhere and are reported on everywhere. That hard lemonade incident WOULD happen anywhere, america is freakish about "the children." Is the entire state of Texas filled with weird cultists because of one compound?

Can you move? It might help.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:12 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,765,752 times
I think bad stories about the Detroit area make the national news so often because it confirms their bad opinion/expectation of Detroit and Detroiters. It makes people in other places feel better about their own lousy behavior (which I'm sure is no different from what you see SE MI); "Well, at least we're not acting like those twerpezoids in Michigan." That's why Orange Taylor III made Court TV; it was hardly a groundbreaking case.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:16 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:

Quite possibly the most RIDICULOUS thing Ive read here on C-D. Really, thats utterly ridiculous.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Is the entire state of Texas filled with weird cultists because of one compound?

Can you move? It might help.
Oregon and Colorado.

Texas? It's indicative of problems within the culture. The Davidiens (sp?) and now FLDS chose Texas. Why? Because they perceived the state to be inviting?

The local government's powerholders invaded the private property on a bogus phone call. Why? Because they value the welfare of the individual more valuable than upholding the law?

Yes, the cult is indicative of the culture.

Each state has a different culture. Why is the West coast hated by most people? Because of the culture. Why do West coasters complain that East coasters are rude? Why do they say the South is polite?

Every story that comes out of MI is indicative of the culture and confirms or combats the perception of that culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Quite possibly the most RIDICULOUS thing Ive read here on C-D. Really, thats utterly ridiculous.

I gather you guys have pretty limited experience. The law has the power to ruin your life. If, as in the first example, there's a demonstration of abusive laws, you sure don't move there. If, as in the second example, the law fails to protect your property, you don't move there.

Call it what you like, but as a guy who's looking to move in a couple months with his business and his fiance's business, I guarantee that these two examples scare people off. Maybe if there wasn't Detroit, KK and, of course, Jennifer "add-a-tax" Granholm, people might over-look it. However, these do, as another poster stated, add to the perception that MI is bass ackwards.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:21 AM

418 posts, read 1,785,391 times
Quote:
Texas? It's indicative of problems within the culture. The Davidiens (sp?) and now FLDS chose Texas. Why? Because they perceived the state to be inviting?
I'm from Texas, and I'm not FLDS nor was I a Branch Davidian. And honestly, if you REALLY think that crap like that isn't going on in many, many states, I think you are sorely mistaken. Also, I don't think the Branch Davidians "chose" Texas. David Koresh was FROM the area. So to say that wackos perceive the state to be "inviting" is ridiculous. Texas has some of the harshest laws around.

As far as the Mike's Hard Lemonade dad goes, he's a professor at U of M, so I hardly think he's a reject. And he has stated, over and over, that the signage is different around the stadium. The sign at the particular concession he went to only said "Mike's Lemonade". To someone who doesn't really drink, they would have no idea what "Mike's Lemonade" was.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:09 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,919 times
Quote:
Oregon and Colorado.

The local government's powerholders invaded the private property on a bogus phone call. Why? Because they value the welfare of the individual more valuable than upholding the law?

Each state has a different culture. Why is the West coast hated by most people? Because of the culture. Why do West coasters complain that East coasters are rude? Why do they say the South is polite?

Every story that comes out of MI is indicative of the culture and confirms or combats the perception of that culture.

I gather you guys have pretty limited experience. The law has the power to ruin your life. If, as in the first example, there's a demonstration of abusive laws, you sure don't move there. If, as in the second example, the law fails to protect your property, you don't move there.

Call it what you like, but as a guy who's looking to move in a couple months with his business and his fiance's business, I guarantee that these two examples scare people off. Maybe if there wasn't Detroit, KK and, of course, Jennifer "add-a-tax" Granholm, people might over-look it. However, these do, as another poster stated, add to the perception that MI is bass ackwards.
wow!
that is really a crazy statement....how can you guarantee that these "scare" people off?! i come from a family of lawyers and i can state that laws in all states can be interpreted in many different ways!
there are CRAZY things that happen in every single state! i mean come on really!
Detroit is really working hard (minus KK) at turning itself around-holding more festivals downtown etc....and jennifer granholm does not do EVERYthing to this state-there are other lawmakers you know...and you also know that she came to the helm after Engler who really really messed things up!
now i can understand the uofm professor-if he has a good lawyer which i am sure he does then it will be all worked out-the guard or whoever was just doing their job!

Old 04-30-2008, 12:27 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,200,598 times
Quote:
Oregon and Colorado.

Intelligent people do not judge an entire state by any one or two incidents, they look at a number of factors when considering moving to a new place. I have moved a few times so I am familiar with the mindset. Detroit's corrupt mayor is an issue. The hard lemonade incident has nothing to with Michigan aside from simple location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan