Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 02:47 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times

Advertisements

Lived in Maine for a while and nobody over there had ever heard of Vernors or Squirt. Just moved back home a month ago and they still didn't have it before we left. They may have been bought out by a larger company, but it seems the distribution is still about the same as it ever was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 03:30 PM

469 posts, read 1,452,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Do you mean Mexicantown?
Yes, that's what it was called. There was one place, Xochimilco, that had good mexican food and margaritas. Of course, this was about 6 years ago.
To the Houston transplants, you've got to go to HEB. The BEST grocery store here. They make their own tortillas daily, and have great pico.
Also, if you're close, go eat at Lupe Tortillas off of I10 & Hwy 6. The best beef fajitas you will ever have!

Old 07-18-2008, 03:41 PM

362 posts, read 1,503,243 times
Default Vernors

I'm in South Carolina and the foods I miss from Michigan are:

Vernors (I did find it in South Carolina at Krogers -- however it's in the drink MIXER aisle, not with the soft drinks -- I guess they think it's a mixer like quinine water, etc.)
Jet's Pizza
good Chinese food
the BEST cherries in the world (the ones they pass off for cherries here would end up in preserves in Michigan)
EXCELLENT apples (the ones in South Carolina are too soft)
Cider mills
Sanders ice cream topping
Shatila baklava
Better Maid chips

Stores I miss:
Meijers -- sorry, WalMart just doesn't compare

A note about Krogers: it's an Ohio company and perhaps that's why they carry Vernors, but the locals here don't know what it is.

Last edited by trinkit; 07-18-2008 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: note about Krogers

Old 07-18-2008, 06:54 PM

418 posts, read 1,785,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
Yes, that's what it was called. There was one place, Xochimilco, that had good mexican food and margaritas. Of course, this was about 6 years ago.
To the Houston transplants, you've got to go to HEB. The BEST grocery store here. They make their own tortillas daily, and have great pico.
Also, if you're close, go eat at Lupe Tortillas off of I10 & Hwy 6. The best beef fajitas you will ever have!
I love H-E-B! You transplants should also try out Central Market (Dallas, Austin, San Antone, Houston). It's owned by H-E-B, and it is a fantastic store. Wonderful meats, seafood, vegetables, breads...I could go on and on!

Old 07-18-2008, 08:36 PM

227 posts, read 795,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinkit View Post

Vernors (I did find it in South Carolina at Krogers -- however it's in the drink MIXER aisle, not with the soft drinks -- I guess they think it's a mixer like quinine water, etc.)
Jet's Pizza
good Chinese food
the BEST cherries in the world (the ones they pass off for cherries here would end up in preserves in Michigan)
Cider mills
Shatila baklava
Better Maid chips

Stores I miss:

A note about Krogers: it's an Ohio company and perhaps that's why they carry Vernors, but the locals here don't know what it is.
Where is there a Krogers in SC? I've seen Kroegers but it's not a grocery store. (I think I spelled that right, its just oen letter different)

Old 07-18-2008, 08:55 PM

695 posts, read 3,411,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
they don't even really have Fazolli's out here-i know it is a chain and from ohio too i think-but for a fast food place i love it!
oh and a wisconsin thing, but you can get it in michigan is frozen custard! no culvers or anything like it here!
There are actually a number of Culver's in MI, namely Westland, Taylor, Clarkston, Birch Run, and a few others. They are great!

And there still are some really great frozen custard places around.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:57 PM

695 posts, read 3,411,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinkit View Post

Jet's Pizza
good Chinese food
Cider mills
Shatila baklava
Better Maid chips

Stores I miss:

Shatila baklava? I go to school with kids of the owners of Shatila bakery.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:04 PM

103 posts, read 344,776 times
This isn't a good thread to read so late at night. I'm hungry!!

To the newbie Houstonites. Try The Goode Company for some tasty BBQ, and does anyone know if the House of Pies is still there? YUMMMMMM....

As for some fabulous Michigan food... I adore Shatila. Thank God I don't live it Dearborn, I'd be huge. How about Erma's Frozen Custard in Utica...and has anyone here had Uncle Ray's Coney Dog flavored potato chips?

Old 07-19-2008, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbear View Post
Where is there a Krogers in SC? I've seen Kroegers but it's not a grocery store. (I think I spelled that right, its just oen letter different)
Where are you in South Carolina? Perhaps I can help.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
Shatila baklava? I go to school with kids of the owners of Shatila bakery.
Shatila baklava is the best I've ever had. Being in South Carolina I need to get online and order some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan