Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 12:50 AM

72 posts, read 126,296 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to Michigan to study Electrical Engineering and wondering which university to choose.I am looking for a school that has the best rating and makes powerful professionals.
I have a BS degree in Mechanical Engineering from Iran and really need to know how to transfer some of basic courses that I have passed ( like some basi Math and Physics units) so that I wont need to pass them again.
Sorry I have a lot of questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 06:11 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Lawrence Tech would be good for you as there are many Middle Easterners in the area (at least 500,000).

Michigan Tech might be the best though.....

Old 10-30-2008, 08:26 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
The University of Michigan in Ann Arbor is by far the best school for engineering in the state.

If you can't get in there, then Michigan Tech or Western Michigan University are good choices too.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:42 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShahramTaba View Post
I am planning to move to Michigan to study Electrical Engineering and wondering which university to choose.I am looking for a school that has the best rating and makes powerful professionals.
I have a BS degree in Mechanical Engineering from Iran and really need to know how to transfer some of basic courses that I have passed ( like some basi Math and Physics units) so that I wont need to pass them again.
Sorry I have a lot of questions.
UofM, Michigan Tech and Lawrence are all good schools. There is also State (not sure about their engineering program though). GMI (Kettering?) is also good but really pricey. I have a BSME and have worked with engineers from all of these schools. I can' speak for the school's overall ratings only the end product (graduates). Personalities aside they were all top notch professionals. Of course you get the bad apples anywhere (I would have to include myself )

Having a BSME you should not have trouble getting an EE But some schools will have a minimum numbers of credits you must take at their school (around 60 or so?).

You went to school overseas but since you have a BS I would not think you will need any math or science. It should be core engineering all the way as long as the school takes most of your pre-req's. Re-reading your post it say's you only have basic math and physics?

Most BS programs (doesn't matter ME or EE) will require calc 1 through 3, probably differential equations and one other math (linear Algebra or engineering math maybe), college level physics 1 and 2, and Chemistry. You should be able to avoid most non-engineering courses if you can get some of your classes transferred in as general education credits or something similar.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:57 PM

915 posts, read 1,505,924 times
U of M, MTech, or Western MI

Old 10-30-2008, 08:38 PM

195 posts, read 972,780 times
I've heard Northern Michigan University has a fairly decent engineering department. If you don't mind the 114" of snow a year.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike0000 View Post
UofM, Michigan Tech and Lawrence are all good schools. There is also State (not sure about their engineering program though). GMI (Kettering?) is also good but really pricey. I have a BSME and have worked with engineers from all of these schools. I can' speak for the school's overall ratings only the end product (graduates). Personalities aside they were all top notch professionals. Of course you get the bad apples anywhere (I would have to include myself )

Having a BSME you should not have trouble getting an EE But some schools will have a minimum numbers of credits you must take at their school (around 60 or so?).

You went to school overseas but since you have a BS I would not think you will need any math or science. It should be core engineering all the way as long as the school takes most of your pre-req's. Re-reading your post it say's you only have basic math and physics?

Most BS programs (doesn't matter ME or EE) will require calc 1 through 3, probably differential equations and one other math (linear Algebra or engineering math maybe), college level physics 1 and 2, and Chemistry. You should be able to avoid most non-engineering courses if you can get some of your classes transferred in as general education credits or something similar.
Thank you for this complete answer.
I have passed Calc1-3 and Differential Equations and Engineering Math and also Physics of Electricity and Heat and General Chemistry and Heat Transfer and so on.But will I need to do tests to have these passed?or what? Is there some type of entrance test or something like that?Tuition is another important matter,do all these schools that you and another people mentioned have expensive tuitions?Is there any possibility to have some sort of help by having good grades?

Old 11-01-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windfarmer View Post
I've heard Northern Michigan University has a fairly decent engineering department. If you don't mind the 114" of snow a year.
Oh man ! I LOVE that ,The snow totally rises my mood exponentially ! actually when it snows I can study very efficiently.It has some kind of special effect on me ! I hate here because of its sick culture and terrible weather and ...

Old 11-01-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Lawrence Tech would be good for you as there are many Middle Easterners in the area (at least 500,000).

Michigan Tech might be the best though.....
I do not care that much for Middle Easterners thing,I already have enough of them here.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The University of Michigan in Ann Arbor is by far the best school for engineering in the state.

If you can't get in there, then Michigan Tech or Western Michigan University are good choices too.
It is best for me to have a opportunity to buy a chip house near the school, so how about that? is there any chance to do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan