Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 05:16 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times

Advertisements

I think your being deliberatetly disingenuous. No Alpena doesn't have the same amenities that TC does. But the OP was asking about ALPENA amenities. Trashing Alpena is not providing information. Its only different than TC. The west side of the state is inarguably more developed in terms of population and all that comes with it. The east side is less developed which suits nature lovers more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 10:42 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I think your being deliberatetly disingenuous. No Alpena doesn't have the same amenities that TC does. But the OP was asking about ALPENA amenities. Trashing Alpena is not providing information. Its only different than TC. The west side of the state is inarguably more developed in terms of population and all that comes with it. The east side is less developed which suits nature lovers more.

There are none. Ok OP here is Alpena's amenities, Walmart, Kmart, JC Penny in a mall that looks worse than Eastland. I live in Gaylord and people drive from Alpena to Gaylord for amenities. What is disingenuous about that? The people who are being disingenuous are the ones on this forum who always say how wonderful things are in northern Michigan and just come on up here with a happy smile and positive attitude and everything will take care of itself. I drove to Alpena before Christmas and the town looked run down and dreary, but wait, since I'm not glowing with praise of an ordinary, random, northern Michigan town, I'm being disingenuous.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:13 AM

550 posts, read 2,052,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
There are none. Ok OP here is Alpena's amenities, Walmart, Kmart, JC Penny in a mall that looks worse than Eastland. I live in Gaylord and people drive from Alpena to Gaylord for amenities. What is disingenuous about that? The people who are being disingenuous are the ones on this forum who always say how wonderful things are in northern Michigan and just come on up here with a happy smile and positive attitude and everything will take care of itself. I drove to Alpena before Christmas and the town looked run down and dreary, but wait, since I'm not glowing with praise of an ordinary, random, northern Michigan town, I'm being disingenuous.
your definition of amenities could be a little different than the OP's......I am from cheboygan, but alpena has to have the same if not better amenities such as personal tailors, small bakeries where you know the person by name who is baking your wedding or anniversary cake, auto garages where they are honest, children's programs at the library, adult eduction (there is a community college there with a good reputation!), grocery stores, butchers, farmer's market, good family doctors, other small businesses to cater to your needs.......LIke i said, I don't know specifics today, but this is all pretty much guaranteed there...

these are all great amenities in my opinion!!

Old 01-10-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
your definition of amenities could be a little different than the OP's......I am from cheboygan, but alpena has to have the same if not better amenities such as personal tailors, small bakeries where you know the person by name who is baking your wedding or anniversary cake, auto garages where they are honest, children's programs at the library, adult eduction (there is a community college there with a good reputation!), grocery stores, butchers, farmer's market, good family doctors, other small businesses to cater to your needs.......LIke i said, I don't know specifics today, but this is all pretty much guaranteed there...

these are all great amenities in my opinion!!

Yea Traverse City doesn't have Munson Medical Center which is regarded as one of the tops in the country. It also doesn't northwestern community college.

Next time I'm in a bakery, I'll wear a name tag so they know my name.

Alpena is wonderful. It's north of Saginaw so it has to be. Northern Michigan towns are all better than any random small town in any other state. We're not being disingenuous by saying northern Michigan has quality health care.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Yea Traverse City doesn't have Munson Medical Center which is regarded as one of the tops in the country. It also doesn't northwestern community college.

Next time I'm in a bakery, I'll wear a name tag so they know my name.

Alpena is wonderful. It's north of Saginaw so it has to be. Northern Michigan towns are all better than any random small town in any other state. We're not being disingenuous by saying northern Michigan has quality health care.
okay, let's not be a Negative Nancy.....I never said TC didn't have great amenities, but the OP wanted to know specifically about Alpena, they never asked about TC

as i've said before, EVERY place has negatives...but why spend our lives or posts FOCUSING on the negatives?! just a question.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
okay, let's not be a Negative Nancy.....I never said TC didn't have great amenities, but the OP wanted to know specifically about Alpena, they never asked about TC

as i've said before, EVERY place has negatives...but why spend our lives or posts FOCUSING on the negatives?! just a question.

So when people ask about a town we'll only post positive information and ignore the negative. Got it. Does this include the city of Detroit as well?

Old 01-10-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
So when people ask about a town we'll only post positive information and ignore the negative. Got it. Does this include the city of Detroit as well?
not sure why I am responding, but no not ONLY positive, but they did not ask about the rest of northern michigan..and since you are not totally aware of everything alpena has to offer why say anything at all especially if it is just negative...
and i wish people would focus more on the POSITIVEs of detroit because I know they are there!!!

Life is too short!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (as proven by the loss of a good friend in his 30's in a snowmobile accident last night )

Old 01-10-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
not sure why I am responding, but no not ONLY positive, but they did not ask about the rest of northern michigan..and since you are not totally aware of everything alpena has to offer why say anything at all especially if it is just negative...
and i wish people would focus more on the POSITIVEs of detroit because I know they are there!!!

Life is too short!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (as proven by the loss of a good friend in his 30's in a snowmobile accident last night )

What does Alpena have that I'm not aware of? A bakery that knows my name?

Old 01-10-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
What does Alpena have that I'm not aware of? A bakery that knows my name?
like i said people's views of amenities vary, some need certain things and don't need others........alpena has a lot of what a person might need........i would like to hear from someone who spends more time than either you or I in alpena..........
plus there are some beautiful inland lakes there as well as huron....

Old 01-10-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
like i said people's views of amenities vary, some need certain things and don't need others........alpena has a lot of what a person might need........i would like to hear from someone who spends more time than either you or I in alpena..........
plus there are some beautiful inland lakes there as well as huron....

Well I live in Gaylord and people come from Alpena to Gaylord for amenities. I don't understand what is so special about Alpena? You have Lake Charleviox, Walloon Lake and Lake Michigan in the west, plus better skiing and better amenities. Not too mention the town looks run down, dreary and past its prime. It just blows my mind that everytime someone asks about a northern Michigan town, it always sunshine and roses. When someone brings in some reality, it's immediately shot down.

Here's how this forum works. Detroit-Flint-Saginaw are terrible. Any city that borders said city is bad. Grand Rapids seems ok and every small town is just great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan