Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 06:16 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times

Advertisements

Press the play Icon.....might be handy for those looking to relocate.

http://tipstrategies.com/archive/geography-of-jobs/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 11:25 AM

32 posts, read 79,561 times
I laugh so I don't cry, are we all doomed !?

Old 05-02-2009, 01:08 PM

These time line series are an extraordinary way of looking at this nation. The thing to note is that the first signs of trouble manifested in Detroit, in around mid to late 2004, when other parts of the country were beginning to have strong job growth. With the exception of the Hurricane Katrina event in Louisiana, New Orleans, the first signs of trouble in our economy manifested in Michigan, Detroit. For people who know economic history, Detroit, Michigan, has been bell weather for the national economy. When people started noting that Michigan was in a one state recession, I started telling people that such would not last and that the country was heading for a big economic downturn. So goes Michigan…..so goes the nation eventually. Michigan represents the REALEST economy in the nation. There is nothing artificial about it. It’s a microcosm of the TRUE health of the nation’s economy…..more than any other state in the nation.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:37 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Press the play Icon.....might be handy for those looking to relocate.

The Geography of Jobs - TIP Strategies
Now I'm really depressed. I don't know if I have a job next year and I'm living in a BIG RED BLOB!!!!

Anyone want to hire a chemistry/physics/math teacher?

Old 05-03-2009, 11:06 AM

693 posts, read 2,257,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Now I'm really depressed. I don't know if I have a job next year and I'm living in a BIG RED BLOB!!!!

Anyone want to hire a chemistry/physics/math teacher?
Oh come now, its not that bad, the state you live in only has to borrow money to continue to pay unemployment to 13% of its residents. So you shouldn't feel that bad...they could probably use your teaching skills in math!

Old 05-03-2009, 11:25 AM

864 posts, read 1,720,468 times
Everybody should be very scared. The 90's had the Internet bubble which masked the economic troubles of this nation. The Internet bubble got replaced by the real estate bubble which has now burst. During these bubbles, manufacturing was moved out of this country to such a degree that we don't make anything now. Where are jobs going to come from? The answer from the present administration appears to be the government and I don't know of anybody that thinks this is sustainable.

I predict a much higher level of sustained unemployment than this country is used to and stagnant to declining wages. The only good news is that illegal immigration won't be as large of problem with the lure of employment gone.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:44 AM

693 posts, read 2,257,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
Everybody should be very scared. The 90's had the Internet bubble which masked the economic troubles of this nation. The Internet bubble got replaced by the real estate bubble which has now burst. During these bubbles, manufacturing was moved out of this country to such a degree that we don't make anything now. Where are jobs going to come from? The answer from the present administration appears to be the government and I don't know of anybody that thinks this is sustainable.

I predict a much higher level of sustained unemployment than this country is used to and stagnant to declining wages. The only good news is that illegal immigration won't be as large of problem with the lure of employment gone.
Very true, most people are under the impression that this recession will past as others have. Although that is true, the landscape will be much different after the fact, American industry must virtually be re-invented on large scale. There most likely will be an upturn, but it in no way will rebuilding our country's infastructure provide a living wage for the millions of unemployed. I believe the future holds a new way of living for most of us, which means living with less and working for less regardless of our qualifications. This transition will not take months but years.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:04 PM

866 posts, read 4,257,455 times
It looked like 2005 was good year for the entire country, even Detroit had a very small loss of jobs during that year.

When you scroll to 2009, it almost makes you sick to see all of those red bubbles everywhere.

THANKS FOR THE MAP!! It's very interesting!

Old 05-03-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post

Things will get better before they get even worse. What I mean by that, and I pray that I am wrong, is that there will be a transition period between deflation and hyper-inflation. Things will stabilize oh so momentarily at that inflexion point between deflation and hyperinflation. The hyper inflation will be the resultant of the “Fix” that the White House, Treasury and the FED are applying. That inflexion point will manifest just in time for the next election. However, by 2012…….both Political parties will lose a lot of their support…..as people start rebelling against the two party construct.

The really scary thing is the impact of a 1918 type flu outbreak from H1N1. Of course, the worst thing is the loss of life, but secondarily, it will subdue commerce enough to manifest an abrupt collapsing of the economy…..and chaos will ensue. The pattern of the 1918 flue that killed millions is said to have patterns similar to H1N1. Back then it appeared in the spring as mild, dissipated during the summer, and then returned in the fall with a vengeance. I pray that such does not happen, but everyone should be making a trip to your nearest Cabela’s and stock up on supplies…..just in case you have to avoid public places in the worst case scenario.

These are some truly frightening times……

Old 05-03-2009, 02:39 PM

19 posts, read 95,444 times
Thank you for the map, that was both enlightening and frightening!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: