Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 6,411 times

Advertisements

I am interviewing in the Lansing area and I was wondering what areas are safe for a young woman and not? Some apartments are in East Battenfield, and south closer to holt, others are north of MSU by Groesbeck. Are there safe areas of Lansing? I am not familiar with Lansing at all!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 4,002 times
Hi everyone,

My cousin and I have just arrived East Lansing to attend MSU since last Fall (so completely strangers to MI). It would make more sense for us to buy a house than to rent one, as we are going to be here for at least 5 years. Okemos and East Lansing are too pricey for us, so we have been considering some houses in Lansing. I am so glad finding this thread, as safety is one of the concerns.
Farrand St, Lansing 48906 (We are concerned with this one the most. The house looks okay, although some repairs are needed. However, the price is so low and that is suspicious. It is an estate sale. Does it explain the price?)
Clifford St, Lansing 48912
Walsh St, Lansing 48912
Fenton St, Lansing 48912

When we went out to look at those houses, the neighbors look ok (although not great, except for Walsh), but the spotcrime.com shows some fightings and burglaries reported on streets nearby. I'm confused and will definitely call the Police Department to ask about them. Meanwhile, I would appreciate if any of you can share your information, opinions or advice. I have no experience of buying a house, so don't really know what to ask the real estate lady who shows us around. Thanks a bunch!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,888 times
I'm moving to msu from iowa and was looking at a home on hillcrest avenue right by the college and off of grand river. Any input on what that neighborhood is like?

Old 03-14-2013, 08:09 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
It's a decent area, often blocked off though during festivals and events where they use Valley Green Park. Neighborhood is safe, will be a mix of residential and college students. Great location, walkable to downtown, coffee shops and campus. Close enough to East Lansing police that they'll have a presence for the parties, celebrations that might get out of hand.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:37 PM

33 posts, read 80,161 times
The neighborhood that runs north off of Grand River west of the Michigan Ave split is VERY VERY nice....pricey..but very nice. My mother insures many people that live back in there and many, many professors own homes. I would NOT go south of Grand River unless students and parties are your thing.

Now..ON Hillcrest near the park, as PP said, you will run into students. MANY Frats are back there and I am sure it's not so quiet Aug-May! Though I am 40, I would rather live in the ghetto than near party-city. But that may be my age showing

If you go further west on Grand River and past the Frandor Shopping Center (not very far), there is a neighborhood that is HIGHLY desired: GROESBECK. It's just west of 127 and just north of Grand River AWESOME area!!!

Old 03-19-2013, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,831 times
Can anyone tell me about neighborhoods in Lansing that tend to hold their value well? I am thinking of buying a house but want to stay under 100K, in an area where homes are well maintained and crime is low, and where I won't lose lots (preferably any!) money on when I sell in 3-4 years. Advice appreciated!

Old 03-23-2013, 12:01 PM

359 posts, read 758,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardRail View Post
us2indaup. The security of the neighborhood has not improved. The street name has changed recently and you may not be aware of it. Currently, it's referred to as Martin Luther King Boulevard. Personally, I believe the former name of Logan was more appealing.
If it were even possible to measure, I would wonder how much (if any) negligible benefit has come from renaming Logan. Am I less likely to be a victim of crime because the name MLK made somebody feel better about himself?

Old 03-23-2013, 02:25 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renterwantstoown View Post
Can anyone tell me about neighborhoods in Lansing that tend to hold their value well? I am thinking of buying a house but want to stay under 100K, in an area where homes are well maintained and crime is low, and where I won't lose lots (preferably any!) money on when I sell in 3-4 years. Advice appreciated!
Groesbeck, off of Grand River and the subdivision between Grand River/Saginaw/Michigan Avenue. I believe it's called LaSalle Gardens~Francis Street, Kipling, La Salle, just west of Holmes. Charming older homes, well established, safe neighborhood. Stay as far east as you can (closer to Frandor). Once you get to Foster, the houses tend to be a little more run down. Foster school is sort of the community center for the neighborhood and has some awesome programs.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:58 PM

893 posts, read 1,206,815 times
I haven't read most of the thread, but most of Lansing is just fine. I lived* on Hillsdale Street (between Pine and Walnut) for a few years and had no issues at all. That is only a few blocks from downtown. In fact, I loved living there because you can walk to so many places. Living out in Waverly or something would suck, you pretty much would have to drive everywhere.

*Past tense because we recently moved to another city due to my girlfriend getting a teaching job there. I wish we were still in Lansing. :/

Old 01-30-2016, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,369 times
I have been reading all these posts and I'm really worried bout the Lansing area
Me and my wife are moving from northwest suburbs of Chicago to Lansing in March, mostly because of my job and now when I read all these post makes me really worried..
We are moving to new development building At Vista Heights where all new shopping center..
So please if anyone one could tell me what areas we should avoid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan