Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 07:31 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I must live in a different part of Detroit, huh?
Sorry, im not in detriot. I live in nw michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 08:04 PM

6 posts, read 25,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavinMI709 View Post
I am not sure that people in the south refer to Michiganders as Yankees. That is reserved for folks in New England. I do know that people in NC are loyal to their state just as we are to Michigan. We love our home regardless of where it is. North Carolina is a beautiful state, just as Michigan is. If we are transplanted to another state, whether we are happy about the move or not, the last thing home grown folks want to hear is how great another place is. NO one wants to be trashed. So the chilly response may not be that they do not like outsiders, so much as they do not like it when people tell them how mush nicer someplace else is or how much better other sports teams are. I love Michigan and it will break my heart on all levels when I leave in a few months. But I also know I have to move on, make new friends and start anew.
Well I'm pretty sure they consider Michiganders yankees! I know from first hand experience. And I agree the last thing they want to hear is how much better it is somewhere else (something that I do not do)...but you ARE labeled no matter how hard you try and fit in! I just find it a shame that labels have to be given...We all live in the USA...anyone should be welcome anywhere and everyone should respect the state they live in and the people who live there!

Old 05-26-2009, 03:39 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
I found that after a few beers, some chaw, and a NASCAR race or two, I was just one of the boys here in Nor Carolina...
Of course the Fall line (where the coastal plains and the Piedmont meet) may be different from the mountain area west of here. Here a yankee is someone who moves in and never lets go of their northern attitude and thinks standing in line at a store waiting while the conversation ahead of them wraps up is wasting their time.
Like I say, maybe it is different other places. I am pretty sure that Mississippi, Alabama. Arkansas, and some rural areas of Georgia have no tolerance for northerners.
To be sure there are places south of the Mason-Dixon line where the civil war is still being fought figuratively.
But that is not to say is the case throughout the south.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:45 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,890 times
When most people hear of Michigan, they think of Detroit, the automobile industry which is yoyoing, crazy unemployment rates, a harden winter, and an all around not so great place to live. Furthermore, Michigans don't paint a better picture either. I know so many people from Michigan and the stuff they tell me; it's almost like they're happy on being viewed in such a negative light, yet they come down here in Texas. It seems like some people are ecstatic of wearing a badge of horrid city of the year or decade, and some even fight over it. But I digress, I know many Michigans that put down the very place they live and they have relocated from. I came to visit Michigan during the summer one time and the weather took a horrible turn; worse than Texas! I did enjoy seeing Michigan Lake, didn't see anything else that was worth an ooo and ahh though.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:30 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
I did enjoy seeing Michigan Lake, didn't see anything else that was worth an ooo and ahh though.
I guess you didn't see a whole lot then.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:33 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
I did enjoy seeing Michigan Lake, didn't see anything else that was worth an ooo and ahh though.
I'm also guessing you didn't get very far north in the state, like staying down near the cities.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:41 PM

5,585 posts, read 984,981 times
Same thought here too, they didn't see much. A person can't visit just one place & say ho hum on an entire state. Michigan has a lot of beauty, and a lot to offer, as far as recreation and adventure and plus some.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:53 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
I like MI, much nicer than IN.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:46 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
I know history and rust belt stuff, has impacted Michigan very badly, but sometimes wonder why Michigan is not more popular.
Too top heavy. The auto manufacturers aren't what they were, but the government hasn't realized that it can't dominate a huge, unintelligent workforce and charge that workforce for the courtesy.

It'll take decades to overturn decades of MSC rulings built on Big 3 success and just as long to push back legislation. Even in the current state of affairs, modifying the helmet law required a tremendous heave against paternalists.

I'd probably stay away from Michigan just because I don't want to relearn the habit of minding other people's business. I miss the work ethic and the respect for one another, but the aggressive sense of right to interfere with others is absurd.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:47 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
Is it the cold winters? The economy?

I just do not understand why people do not want to live in this state.

To me Michigan is the most beautiful state in the country. {I have lived in Illinois, Virginia, Maryland}. Even when I lived in Illionois, and thank God I was near the lakefront there which made things tolerable, I missed even natural beauty of Michigan.

I know history and rust belt stuff, has impacted Michigan very badly, but sometimes wonder why Michigan is not more popular.
IF global warming ever comes into full gear, than Michigan would be great.

I think the #1 reason is the winters are too cold, and too long. The older you get, the less you want to be there. The extremely short Falls and Springs in Michigan are amazing though! As is the Summer. It's just the long, long, long winters waiting for them that is the hard part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan