Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:10 PM

58 posts, read 162,338 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a brand new member here. Need some help from those of you who know more about the UP than I do. My husband and I have begun the search for our retirement home, and we are seriously considering buying land in the UP, probably on the western side.
The other option is Kentucky.
So, help me out. Give me the pro's and con's of life in the UP. I live in Northeastern Ohio right now, are the winters THAT much worse up north?
What other info can you share?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 03:00 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Dont live there, but I would say the winters are MUCH worse! Of course you will hear from the experts I'm sure. Good luck!! I would give anything to live in the U.P!!

Old 05-29-2009, 03:04 PM

749 posts, read 2,772,321 times
oh yeah, Winters ARE that much worse!

Old 05-29-2009, 03:30 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Some folks like the cold and snow.

Nuthin' like sittin' 'round the fireplace on Christmas.

After that, I'm pretty much done. I do enjoy ice fishing, cross country skiing, etc., but I'm used to palm trees now.

A two hour drive "up north" now gives me my winter fix.

The U.P. ain't for everyone, neither is Phoenix.

Kentucky is really nice.

But that KY jelly isn't very good with peanut butter.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:23 PM

56 posts, read 195,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
But that KY jelly isn't very good with peanut butter.
I dont know why, but I laughed for a good 45 seconds.. (probably because I had to look at it for a little to realize you used Kentuckys abbreviation..)

And yes, UP Winters are awful.. one weekend my moms friends and I went up to Kewadin (I swam they gambled) and We got snowed in (Bridge was actually closed) and I had to miss 2 days of school!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:09 PM

119 posts, read 284,795 times
Here in da U.P. we have two seasons. Winter and getting ready for winter. If you are not familiar with the term "summer wood" you will be if you come here. Where I live 300 inches of snow in a season is not unheard of. So to answer your question, yes the winters ARE a lot worse in the U.P.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:40 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedlady View Post
Hello, I am a brand new member here. Need some help from those of you who know more about the UP than I do. My husband and I have begun the search for our retirement home, and we are seriously considering buying land in the UP, probably on the western side.
The other option is Kentucky.
So, help me out. Give me the pro's and con's of life in the UP. I live in Northeastern Ohio right now, are the winters THAT much worse up north?
thanks
If I were to retire, I think I'd get a nice RV-trailer to live out of and go anywhere I felt like at the time.

You can spend a few months enjoying the waterfalls and beauty of the Great Lakes and when you want a change, move down to Florida and enjoy the salty breezes and palm trees. If Florida gets old, then you can pack it up and head over to some place like Montana and enjoy that for a while.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:11 AM

50 posts, read 174,021 times
No, you really don't want to live in the U.P.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:52 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Default Thats what I'm thinking too

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If I were to retire, I think I'd get a nice RV-trailer to live out of and go anywhere I felt like at the time.

You can spend a few months enjoying the waterfalls and beauty of the Great Lakes and when you want a change, move down to Florida and enjoy the salty breezes and palm trees. If Florida gets old, then you can pack it up and head over to some place like Montana and enjoy that for a while.
I've gone from the little hobby farm/wildlife preserve up north to very similar thoughts for my retirement.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:25 PM

760 posts, read 2,441,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedlady View Post
thanks

You live in Copley, OH?? I have a dear friend that lives about 30 miles northeast of you (Valley City) with whom I chat almost daily.
She is often apalled and in disbelief when she hears my tales of winter storms and how looooong winter lasts up here.
In my area, we recieved over 200 inches of snow last winter. The snow that fell on the ground in mid-November was still on the ground 'til the second week of April. We had snowfall in October and we just had snow in the air two weeks ago in May....... so yes, winter really is THAT different

She and I are also both avid gardeners. She's already starting to eat some fresh produce, I've just finally been putting my seeds in the ground this past week. Didn't dare do it before then and we have a frost/freeze advisory in effect tonight.

If you are serious about considering living up here, I highly recommend you rent a place for a full calender year first Some people love it, many people leave asap after their first winter or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan