Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:25 AM
rlt rlt started this thread

86 posts, read 152,714 times

Advertisements

Anybody hear about the "Water Battle" about to happen???

It's going around that soon (I don't know how soon though), that all out West (Arizona, Nevada, Utah, etc), are going to start wanting the Great Lakes Water pumped out there.

I don't know about you, but I don't want our water ruined by this, do you?? It'll ruin our fishing, recreation, etc.

Any opinions, thoughts, any information you wanna' add?

Anything at all?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 10:35 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,683 times
We can tell them that if they take the water, they have to take the sea lampreys, zebra mussels, and Asian carp too!

Old 03-07-2010, 12:23 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
This has been a hot topic for a while now. One of the main proponents of the building of a huge pipeline to steal the Great Lakes' water to divert to the desert SW has been Bill Richardson, governor of NM. Pretty bold and arrogant, to expect the Great Lakes states to willingly siphon off our abundant water supply to feed their desert, isn't it? Hey, here's a thought: if you run the chance of running out of water, don't build cities in a desert that can't sustain a large human population. Duh...

Sometime in the past year or two the governors of the Great Lakes states got together and formed some kind of pact and passed legislation to protect our greatest asset and to prevent other states from trying to steal it. I don't know the details, but I hope that it is good, solid legislation and will truly protect the Great Lakes and keep the water here where it belongs. To allow the theft of our water would be the biggest mistake that any of our leaders could ever make. Our water is our trump card and one of the biggest keys to a bright economic future.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:55 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,683 times
I agree with you, Canudigit. Maybe we could just send them the sea lamopreys, zebra mussels, and Asian carp in leiu of the water?

Old 03-07-2010, 03:42 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
That is why we have a Great Lakes Czar now. To take the water.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:51 PM

150 posts, read 405,506 times
This is really old news. They've been talking about deverting water from the Great Lakes for some time now. There are at least 4 states on the lakes that are fighting it tooth and nail. We in MN are watching a decline in the water levels as it is. With the harbors here shipping out iron ore, we need all the water we can get.

Susie

Old 03-07-2010, 03:56 PM

121 posts, read 175,469 times
In my opinion, if those various states hadn't squandered all their water resouces to begin with then they wouldn't be in the position of having to beg, steal or con us out of ours. And if it is allowed to happen it is going to change the Great Lakes forever. The wildlife will not be the same. It is going to affect their habitats..... We're suckers if we let it happen....

Old 03-07-2010, 05:05 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
I say not one drop, they get nothing. People out west are some of the biggest midwest bashers, especially slamming michigan. I cant wait to here thier toon change. They choose to live in that desert, I think they can conserve water. No one can force us to give them our water, although Wi, Il or Ontario could sell it too. I think all the states/provinces of the great lakes basin need to stand together on this. Our greatest asset is our water resource, one day companies and jobs will be returning here from the sun baked west to gain access to our water. Those desert states are no paradise and soon they will realize it. Michigans economic rebirth will come because of our water, so giving any of it away would be like shooting ourselves in the foot.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:31 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Water levels will drop, no one will be able to dock a boat, lakes, rivers and waterfalls will dry up. property values will plummet. Complete devastation.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:14 PM

749 posts, read 2,438,569 times
The State of Michigan already owes the rest of the nation water. They should have directly tied all the bailout money of GM and Chrysler to your water. The highest unemployment in the nation, handouts out the ying yang in the form of UIA benefits, bailout, etc. and for what the feds pay for all that it would be cheaper to buy water from China.

And you all are wrong that you'll just be giving it away........more like it will be taken from you whether you like it or not. It's not just your water,it's the USA remember or are you all just good Americans when it's time for the bailout trough to be filled?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan