Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:47 PM

4 posts, read 5,904 times

Advertisements

Quit bashing California! We are hoping to move to MI in the near future. We currently live in Southern California-close to LA and Hollywood. The only bad mouthing that I hear about MI are from the people that used to live there and have moved away.

My son is on TV-an average Joe who has worked extremely hard his whole life to be able to have his own reality show. If we move to MI and I have to do some filming in MI with him, should I say forget it? Michigan doesn't need the tens of thousands of dollars in permit fees and rentals to be able to film there? Please....Give me a break!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 09:55 PM

4 posts, read 5,904 times
The problem with doing a show for PBS is that they have limited advertising. Also the majority of the shows on PBS and similar networks are that the production companies are independent meaning they have to raise their own money for all expenses related to filming. If you are serious about this, you should try contacting the Discovery Channel or the National Geographic Channel and pitch your ideas to them.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:43 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacer View Post
Quit bashing California! We are hoping to move to MI in the near future. We currently live in Southern California-close to LA and Hollywood. The only bad mouthing that I hear about MI are from the people that used to live there and have moved away.

My son is on TV-an average Joe who has worked extremely hard his whole life to be able to have his own reality show. If we move to MI and I have to do some filming in MI with him, should I say forget it? Michigan doesn't need the tens of thousands of dollars in permit fees and rentals to be able to film there? Please....Give me a break!
Where is the CA bashing in this thread? I just read the whole thing and there is 1 reference to CA which is 100% true if you look through these boards. That isn't "bashing" by any means.

Back on topic though, this area just had 2 movies wrap-up filming scenes over the past week or so. One in Manistee, and the other was in Ludington. Not much, but it was interesting.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:35 PM

If anyone is interested in seeing the quality of movies that are being filmed in Michigan, check out your local theater this week-end. Being released today is the movie "What if..." that was filmed mostly in Manistee, with the city shots filmed in Grand Rapids and the "Pacific Coast Highway" shots filmed by the Ludington State Park. There was a nice write up last night in the Ludington Daily News and here is the trailer for the film. This was shot by "10 West Studios" in Manistee in partnership with a couple other studios for release.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:00 PM

910 posts, read 2,984,137 times
I have always thought that Michigan should have it's "own" Hollywood. Look at some of the "smaller" suburbs, you have Royal Oak, Birmingham Farms, Franklin, Bloomfield, tons of flourishing areas off of small lakes, You can even make a beach scene off of Lake St. Clair, you can make a small town scene going to Chelsea, you can make a College scene going to Ypsalanti or Ann Arbor, you could make an urban scene, perfect example by watching "8 Mile," you can make almost every scene you want! There are mountains in the UP as well! Not to mention, Detroit has a suburb called Beverly Hills!!!!! I thought all those suburban names that are familiar to some of LA's suburban names was very ironic. But there are so many opportunities for filming in South Eastern Michigan, a lot of young producers that have never been around there have no idea what is at stake for them.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:31 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,350 times
I drove past a set in Milford last week. They were filming for a comedy staring Mathew Lillard. He was standing out front when I drove past on my way home. I plan to take some shots of the bar they converted for the film. It was a closed down Irish pub but they changed the name of it to Big Al's I think the sign read. Wish I would have had my camera in the car I could have taken some shots right from the red light and still made it home on time. LOL

Old 09-04-2010, 04:03 PM

Now that you mention it, I should drive by the bank they used for the robbery scenes in "30 minutes or less" in Ludington and see if the name of the fake bank is still up. Probably not.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:40 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Now that you mention it, I should drive by the bank they used for the robbery scenes in "30 minutes or less" in Ludington and see if the name of the fake bank is still up. Probably not.
I was chatting with an old friend from high school and she told me her friend who works in Milford told her they would be filming again this week. She offered to take me on to the set because she knows some students and some of the security on set. I told her no thanks I'm not one of those people who ooooh and ahhhh over celebrities and want my picture taken with them. I would prefer a candid shot from a distance over a posed shot right next to them.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I was chatting with an old friend from high school and she told me her friend who works in Milford told her they would be filming again this week. She offered to take me on to the set because she knows some students and some of the security on set. I told her no thanks I'm not one of those people who ooooh and ahhhh over celebrities and want my picture taken with them. I would prefer a candid shot from a distance over a posed shot right next to them.
Same here. I've met enough people that were/are "famous" to be more interested in the overall project than the people involved. I didn't even bother to go over to Ludington when they were filming, best to stay out of their hair and (for me) away from the starstruck crowds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan