Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 04:11 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,191 times

Advertisements

Every single town north of Saginaw is wonderful. Sault Sainte Marie is a beautiful town. Just be positive and everything will be fantastic. If it isn't, you're just not being positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 06:08 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Every single town north of Saginaw is wonderful. Sault Sainte Marie is a beautiful town. Just be positive and everything will be fantastic. If it isn't, you're just not being positive.
Shut up Scolls. If you have nothing except sarcasm, then you have nothing to add.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:22 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad5555 View Post
Forgive my lack of knowledge..but is a Soo another name for a ships lock like the panama canal? Thanks Dansdad
The Soo locks are in Sault Ste. Marie. But, the Soo is what locals call the city, just quicker and easier than the whole name. The name comes from the French description of the area. The first word is Sault which is pronounced "Soo" and roughly means"jump" or waterfall or rapids in Old French. Sainte Marie is the name of the river that divides the US from Canada. So Sault Sainte Marie really is translated "Rapids of the St. Mary's" which is how the area got it's name way, way back. The Soo which was already a gathering place for trappers, and Indians was renamed in 1668 by Pere Marquette (Father Marquette) a Jesuit priest to what it is now.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:36 PM

358 posts, read 1,063,051 times
When you go to the Soo, have some respect for its history, it is one of the oldest cities in the US.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:47 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
When you go to the Soo, have some respect for its history, it is one of the oldest cities in the US.
Yes and actually I have always love the Soo, but after reading some history on its beginnings, I came to appreciate it even more. Some fantastic history!

Old 03-22-2010, 08:47 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinesdaughter View Post
Thanks Dansdad!! And this is not a trolling thread!! In fact, I am moving to follow my boyfriend who has been stationed in Sault Sainte Maire, from the San Francisco Bay Area . I'm not a yuppie, i'm a progressive with a political background. Is there anything out there for me to do?

I lived in the Soo for just shy of 10 years, and I love the Soo. The scenery is beautiful, Lake Superior is beautiful. Canadian border is right there, lots to do acrost the river. Having said that, I will warn you that someone from the West Coast will face MAJOR culture shock going from San Fransisco to Sault ste Marie. In fact, SF to anwhere in Michigan is likely to be culture shock, but the Soo is considered a remote area even by Michigan standards. If you are a big progressive liberal type, that spells more trouble. Are there democrats in the Sault, yes there are (Stupaks district), but most of them are not the progressive types you find in California. You may find people openly hostile toward things like animal rights, gun control, and gay rights. I know these causes are popular in San Fransisco, but it you support them I would not talk about it too much in Sault ste Marie ( or anywhere in Mi) and not expect an angry response. Things you can expect in the Soo are a huge hunting and gun culture. People are into the outdoors, hunting, fishing, camping, snowmachines, and ice fishing. Dont expect that jobs are easy to come by, and wages are low. You should also know that Michigan winters are very severe compared to what your used to. Winter lows can reach 20 to 30 below zero real temprature. Snow comes down by the foot in most of Michigan, especially Sault ste Marie. Many of us love the winter and the snow, some dont. On the plus side the cost of living is low, houses are cheap. I dont want to discourage you, but want you to come here with your eyes open. There is alot to love about Michigan, especially the UP of Michigan but you need to know what your getting into before you move here. People are friendly and welcoming, and if you come here willing to live the midwest lifestyle you will enjoy life here.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:46 PM

6 posts, read 24,504 times
All you folks are really helping her to understand her life is going to change and who knows she might turnout to be one hell of a shot!!!lol. All I wanted as a friend was to let her become aware of differences but since we have a great deal of that in the S.F. Bay Area, and she is an open thinker, I really don't think she cant overcome any hurdles. This much I do know....in my own travels 30 years ago, I left Ca. for a few years and went to western Nebraska...Sidney to be exact and found people were very friendly and kind. Maybe politics were different but that went aside as I made wonderful friends and honestly I really miss the place. With her charisma and undeniable charm..you folks will love her.She will always have ALOT to say but you will never be bored. Thanks Again..Dansdad

Old 03-23-2010, 05:51 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad5555 View Post
All you folks are really helping her to understand her life is going to change and who knows she might turnout to be one hell of a shot!!!lol. All I wanted as a friend was to let her become aware of differences but since we have a great deal of that in the S.F. Bay Area, and she is an open thinker, I really don't think she cant overcome any hurdles. This much I do know....in my own travels 30 years ago, I left Ca. for a few years and went to western Nebraska...Sidney to be exact and found people were very friendly and kind. Maybe politics were different but that went aside as I made wonderful friends and honestly I really miss the place. With her charisma and undeniable charm..you folks will love her.She will always have ALOT to say but you will never be bored. Thanks Again..Dansdad
I'm gonna guess a young girl coming from CA. especially if she has lived there her whole life, is NOT gonna like the Soo. The U.P of Michigan is often compared to Alaska... without the mountains. However....Michigan is full of beauty, and she will be real close to one of the most amazing lakes in the world in Lake Superior.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:34 AM

I have been to the Bay Area in California and she will be horribly dissapointed with the Soo. Only advantage is cost of living but that doesn't do you any good when you have to work at Walmart. Think of the Soo as a desolate neighborhood in Oakland minus the crime.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:33 PM

I forgot, I'm going to the Soo on the 30th. I'll take pics for you while I'm there if I remember my camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan