Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 04:18 PM

49 posts, read 126,715 times

Advertisements

So i was looking at joining the air force reserves once my Marine commitment is over and hopefully getting into fighter jet piloting. I will be an officer, so i am eligible to fly. i do have some questions so if someone can answer them that would be great.

How long is the contract?

If i fly fighters, is it required that i live near a certain base?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 05:50 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,915 times
1. Are you an officer now? If you're currently enlisted, have you been selected for Marine OCS or USAF OTS?
2. What's your current MOS? Have you taken the AFOQT? Flight Physical?

Be aware that right now the USAF is being extremely selective in who gets in. I'd recommend going over to the Base Ops Forums: Baseops Military Aviation Forums They have an entire section dedicated for people trying to become USAF pilots.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:00 PM

1) entering NROTC MO in September.
2) MOS- hopefully infantry, recon if i'm lucky

Old 11-22-2011, 09:02 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
You'd have an easier time just becoming a pilot where you are at. Almost 30% of the Corps Officer's are pilots or flight officers. In addition, it's RESERVE Officer Training Corps for a reason. You can transfer to the reserve once you AD obligation is done. What are your reasons behind being infantry? If it's just the hi-speed training you are going to get that at TBS regardless of your MOS. Also, you can go to SERE school as a pilot as well.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:01 PM

i could but I want to be the best of the best, so after bulldog and OCS, i'm gonna see how i stack up among the others and try to get a spot in recon school. it's also a big part of my family's tradition to strive to be the best in there respective branches, and i want to be a part of that tradition.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:40 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
But sometimes there are no slots for the best, they are full... The military offers a lot of options but they are not always open. Sometimes it's just your luck.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-23-2011 at 08:20 PM..

Old 11-23-2011, 02:23 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMarine View Post
i could but I want to be the best of the best, so after bulldog and OCS, i'm gonna see how i stack up among the others and try to get a spot in recon school. it's also a big part of my family's tradition to strive to be the best in there respective branches, and i want to be a part of that tradition.

I understand the strive to be the best, but you are going to feel that way just by being a Marine. Though Recon are the most highly trained Marines at what they do, but so does every other Marine feel like they are at what they do. Other Marines don't have that same reverance for their special forces of as other branches do. Airmen look up to PJs, Sailors look up to Seals, and Soldiers look up to Rangers. They are just other Marines with a different job. Maybe it's part of the Marine arrogance, but every Marine feels like he is the best at whatever does and like his job is the most essential part of the Corps. In truth they all work together to make the machine work. Still you see your ordnace guys with their IYAOYAS license plates, your infantry guys calling everyone POGS, your Admin guys thinking their better than everyone else because they work directly for the CO. Even I, as a supply guy feel that my job is essential as there is absolutley nothing that happens in the Corps, as my old Gunny used to put it, "without supply having it's sticky fingers in it." Things that your average Marine doesn't even realize.

A big part of this is likely steeped in Recon history as well. The Marine Corps did not become a part of SOCOM until around 2005. When SOCOM was stood up in the eighties the Marines opted out. Then Commandant General Gray, one, did not like the idea of their being Marines that were considered more "elite", as he considered the Corps itself an elite force, and two, he did not like the idea have having a component of Marines not under Marine control. So though they did all the same training and went to the same schools, officially Recon was not "special forces". Along those same lines, even though every MEU is SOC certified, and the Corps would do SOC missions,the Marine Corps was never part of SOCOM. The only real reason the Marines became part of SOCOM was b/c the leadership of the Corps felt slighted when they were unable to be part of the initial actions in GWOT after September 11 b/c they weren't a part of SOCOM.

Along the same lines as Recon not being "revered", the Recon and Scout Sniper Marines that I know are actually some of the most humble Marines I know. Your average grunt is actually more full of themselves. Also, the ones that go out for MARSOC see it as more of a way to push and challenge themselves than a thing that will put above any other Marine.

Go for Recon if that's what you want to do, but make sure you're doing it for the right reasons.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:19 PM

^ yea definitely, i feel i have good reasons, and i understand how tough it is, but its worth a shot. i have a good amount of time to think it through while i work through NROTC anyway.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,976 times
I am Prior Service Air Force Active Duty I got medically ELS Honorable discharge i got a 3A reentry code , Reserves saids it okay but my els saids i had a back injury in security forces , reserves saids they cant except back injuries but i have no back injury cant they they medically clear me at meps or submit a medical waiver . or cant i get cleared by a doctor and show prove to them i have no injury? Any thought?

Old 06-13-2014, 02:23 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,137 times
If you want to be a pilot, then be a pilot. If you're plan is to go from active Marine Officer in an infantry billet to Air Force Reserve pilot, you're going to be disappointed since it won't happen. The USAFR or USANG is probably not going to take an Officer that's an O-3 and send them to flight school. If flying is your thing, then you need to start flying as an O-1. I have seen Marine and Navy pilots go to the Air Force reserves after their service commitment. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by being an infantry or Recon Officer is your end goal is flying.

I'm guessing you're a 1st year college student in NROTC. Concentrate on graduating and getting commissioned before you worry about becoming a reserve pilot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues