Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:14 AM

8 posts, read 36,610 times

Advertisements

I looked up info on the NDRB. It seems like it would be a bit of an extensive process, which I would expect. It also seems like the site jumps around a lot. I did put a few calls into the NDRB, and hopefully I can get a call back to start the process. I'll keep the thread updated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 11:30 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyballin86 View Post
I looked up info on the NDRB. It seems like it would be a bit of an extensive process, which I would expect. It also seems like the site jumps around a lot. I did put a few calls into the NDRB, and hopefully I can get a call back to start the process. I'll keep the thread updated!
it sounds like an extensive process, but it's actually not a big deal

once you request a review , they will let you know when the next one will be in your area

you may need to contact an organization like Disabled American Veterans or something to represent you at the hearing, they usually do it free of charge

the hearings are usually very short probably not more than 30 minutes, then they will send you a letter within about 30 days and let you know what their decision was, the people that interview you will be military officers usually about 4 or 5 officers, it's similiar to a job interview, they ask if anything has changed since your discharge, why they should upgrade your discharge, what you have been doing since the discharge, why do you want to serve in the military,etc

if they decide to upgrade your discharge, they will send a copy of the new RE code to attach with your DD214 , might take about a year total from the time you wait for the hearing until you get the upgrade

dont listen to the recruiters if they tell you you will never get back in the service

my friend was able to enlist in any branch after they upgraded his RE code

Last edited by mr bolo; 04-23-2012 at 11:42 AM..

Old 04-23-2012, 01:46 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,218,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
dont listen to the recruiters if they tell you you will never get back in the service

my friend was able to enlist in any branch after they upgraded his RE code
The problem is that most are not taking prior service applicants regardless of what your RE code is.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
The problem is that most are not taking prior service applicants regardless of what your RE code is.
the OP say's he wasnt in long enough to be classified as prior service

sounds like he has the Entry Level Separation (ELS) discharge less than 180 days

it's better to get the RE code upgraded asap, it would be more to his advantage when he tries to reenlist, then he wont need a waiver

Old 04-27-2012, 08:23 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,324,862 times
I am a recruiter for the Air Force and I just got a waiver approved for an RE 3 from the Navy Last month. It was SUPER EASY to get approved, but I recruiter officers.

There is a Huge Difference with officers and enlisted. With officers, we can take as many prior service as we want. I can put in 100 Prior Service a month.

With enlistments, the Air Force severely limits the amount of prior (or previous) service that can come back. Last year we had about 250 slots world wide. That is what makes it so hard for you. The slots are sort of first come first served, and sort of competitive.

It will take about 20 hours of the recruiters time to process you and all those waivers. That is 20 hours the recruiter can be working on other applicants, visiting schools, or home with his/her family. We don't have set hours. We work how long it takes to get our job done. A recruiter won't want to take 20 hours to work on something he/she knows won't get approved.

Honestly, if you can find a way to get a degree, you would have no problem getting waivers to come in as an officer. (assuming GPA and other requirements were in line with what we are looking for).

Old 04-27-2012, 08:26 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,324,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
the OP say's he wasnt in long enough to be classified as prior service

sounds like he has the Entry Level Separation (ELS) discharge less than 180 days

it's better to get the RE code upgraded asap, it would be more to his advantage when he tries to reenlist, then he wont need a waiver

Actually, we don't currently take Previous service at all. If they are an entry level separation from basic training, they can come back in under regular enlistment processes if they have an RE 1. If they don't have an RE 1, it becomes very very difficult. If they graduate basic training, but don't make it to 180 days, they have zero chance of coming in. The previous service program is closed.

The recruiter might not realize that as the AFI (Regulation) doesn't state it is closed. There is a PS PGM (program message) that states the programs is closed indefinitely. I found this out the hard way trying to work a discharge from tech school.

Entry level can rejoin, graduated basic but didn't hit 180 days can not, 180 days and over can rejoin under the limited Prior Service program.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:11 PM

mr bolo: I went into RTC on 7/7/2011, and was medically discharged (ELMS) on 8/2/2011 due to hyperthyroidism. I've since been tested by my personal doctor, and the test results show that my thyroid levels are well in the normal range.

dmarie123: I've been in contact with AF/AFR/ANG recruiters, and they all have said that because of my discharge code (RE-3E), I cannot come back in, unless I go before the NDRB and have it changed. No offense, but NONE of them would give me the time of day. I've also been in contact with Army Reserve and Army National Guard recruiters, and they are willing to work with me. My med docs are up at my local MEPS (Ft. Dix), and the recruiters said that it'll take a week or so until the paperwork comes back down with an approval or denial. I spoke with Navy and Navy Reserve recruiters, and they wouldn't work with me either, although they were eager to take my paperwork and make it seem as such.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:33 PM

UPDATE: I keep up with some guys from the RTC days, and one guy said that he's getting back in/processing with the SAME discharge code (RE-3E), and he submitted his med docs to his local MEPS, which is the same thing that I did.

Now, having said that, three weeks ago I stopped a Navy office in my area, and talked to a recruiter, handed him my med docs, and he said that it'll take a week or two for them to get a yay or nay from the MEPS doctors. I called him today, three weeks later, and asked him about the status of everything. He simply said 'I haven't heard anything yet, but when I do, I'll let you know', sounding like he was rushing or something. I called the Army recruiting office, which is right next door, and they said that my paperwork was submitted (at the same time that I dropped off my med docs to the Navy recruiters, I saw him fax it up to MEPS), and I should be okay to process this week. I stopped in today to talk to the Navy recruiter in person about this, and I happened to run into the Zone Supervisor (Chief Petty Officer), and while shrugging me off/walking away from me, he said that they're not taking anybody right now, and they're overstaffed.

Long story short, I'm looking into the Navy Reserves, Army Reserve, and the Army National Guard. Whichever service is willing to work with me, and has what I'm looking for, I'm going to go with.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:55 PM

If you get your discharge upgraded after your NDRB hearing, you will be in a whole different ball game, by having your RE code changed it gives you more power, you will be in control, no more red tape, you will be good to go

the reason the recruiters wont even give you the time of day is because it's beyond their control, your a waste of their time with the RE-3E

remember to follow through and get it done

Old 05-08-2012, 05:06 PM

mr bolo: I'm still looking into that. I placed a few calls into the NDRB, and haven't heard anything yet.

UPDATE: I spoke to a Navy RinC in Huntington Valley, PA, and they said that my profile hasn't been freed up by the Pittsburgh MEPS. So, while at her office, I filled out a paper to do so, and she faxed it over to the Ft. Dix MEPS while I was sitting there. She said that it'd take three days for her to hear that my info has been received by Ft. Dix. Today was the fourth day, and I called her, and she said that Ft. Dix has my stuff, and to allow them three days to decide if I should go through more medical testing, if my existing med docs are good and I can process, or if I'm denied to go into the Navy, which would be this Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues