Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 06:47 AM

8 posts, read 36,642 times

Advertisements

UPDATE: The Army/Army Reserve office has not been moving forward with anything, despite me calling and e-mailing them once or twice a week. The ANG office has everything prepped and ready to send to MEPS, and the Navy office got a reply from the MEPS doctor, but the report was not legible, so the recruiter sent it back for it to be deciphered. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,810 times
Red face I may be a bit late on this...

...But i was discharged from the Navy 5/15/2012 - 28 days into training with an RE-3E. It had to do with Hypothyroidism. I do have it and it was disclosed but my meps cleared it with a local waiver when meps said i needed one from cnrc. So i got discharged because no one could figure out what i needed, nothing to do with my health. I am not in yet but i have gone through processing through meps and got the thyroid waiver i needed along with the tattoo one i already had and i was cleared to ship. The only thing i am waiting on is my RE3 waiver. And i know the chances aren't great but they are there! Don't let them tell you its not possible, they just don't get anything out of helping you. And i'm going / was Active Duty

Old 08-07-2012, 07:39 AM

8 posts, read 36,642 times
I still have my Navy paperwork ready to send up to Ft. Dix MEPS, but I'm talking to the PA ANG, and seeing what they can do for me first. My ANG paperwork is up at the Harrisburg MEPS, and I have to wait a month and get the okay from the doc up there, and see what waivers I need. I should have battled the discharge at RTC, which would have been a wise decision on my behalf, but I was so pissed because I was told that I have hyperthyroidism, which I never did in the civilian world.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,353 times
My son is in Air force boot camp in Texas and is doing awesome and is ahead of his class on schedule to graduate in November. He went in to do his fire fighter training and he came out diagnosed with WPW syndrome. Wow! We were shocked. We had never heard of this and has never had any previous symptoms. If he is discharged can he ever reenlisted....will they help him find something. He is going to be devistaed.. Not sure what comes next HELP

Old 10-22-2014, 04:26 PM

109 posts, read 287,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emorton View Post
My son is in Air force boot camp in Texas and is doing awesome and is ahead of his class on schedule to graduate in November. He went in to do his fire fighter training and he came out diagnosed with WPW syndrome. Wow! We were shocked. We had never heard of this and has never had any previous symptoms. If he is discharged can he ever reenlisted....will they help him find something. He is going to be devistaed.. Not sure what comes next HELP
emorton, you'll get a much better response if you start a new thread. This thread is really old and the topic doesn't fit your situation.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:53 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,349,061 times
I think they're getting very careful about cardio stuff. I'm glad he's okay. I spoke with a guy today who's been in the Army Reserves 30 yrs who has a defibrillator device implanted. But he's had a couple of episodes recently and is being processed out medically. But really, don't give up hope. Everything for a reason. Better to know it's there. (I'd still take him to your doctor for a 2nd opinion)

Old 10-23-2014, 04:29 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,340,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyballin86 View Post
Hi!

I was discharged from RTC (US Navy) for medical reasons in August 2011, receiving an RE-3E discharge code. I was told by the LT who recommended the ELMS (entry level medical seperation) that I would be eligible to re-enlist after six months (February 2012). Since then, I have spoken to Army and Navy recruiters. Recently, I have spoken to a USAF recruiter in the Philadelphia, PA area (Cheltenham Mall), trying to explain my situation, and she seemed like she wouldn't give me the time of day. I even called her twice, and she still wouldn't talk to me more than a few minutes just because I didn't have an RE-1 discharge code. I brought up wavering as well, and she said that it can't be waivered.

A day afterwards, I spoke to a recruiter in the USAF - Pittsburgh (Monroeville Mall) recruiting office, and he seemed like he wanted to try and help me. He asked me questions regarding my discharge, which he verified that the discharge code (RE-3E) can be waivered, which I knew beforehand (but is up to the recruiter or their boss [I've heard] to approve it). I would need a waiver for the medical discharge as well, which has to be submitted to the doctor (s) at MEPS to get a preliminary yes or no. I would need one more waiver because of a life situation from way back in the hayday (juvenile). After all of that, he said that it would be VERY unlikely that I would be able to get all of the waivers approved, and recommended me joining the Army or Navy, if I'm able, which to me seemed like he didn't want to at least submit my paperwork to get a definite answer. Also, I'm considered PREVIOUS service, not PRIOR service, because of the amount of time, which I have told the recruiters that I have spoken to.

From researching situations as close to mine as I can muster, it seems like I would be able to get into the USAF, pending waiver approval. I would very much like to be able to enlist, but with the recruiters that I have spoken to so far, it seems really discouraging, and it's making it tough to find a recruiter anywhere in the state of PA that would try and help me.

Would anybody be able to help me with this, and possibly guide me in the right direction?

Your AF recruiter might be wrong, frankly. We can take prior service (with a lot of restrictions), we can not take previous service. Your recruiters have something called a PGM (procedural Guidance Message) that prohibits Air Force recruiters from recruiting previous service at this time. Recruiters can't always remember everything (there are literally hundreds of pages of regulations) so the recruiter who told you yes, it was possible, may not be aware of the PGM guidance stating no previous service can join at this time. I'll see if I can find the specific PGM number tomorrow at work.

I'm a recruiter. I know this because I once got very invested in a previous service applicant and spent hours upon hours working waivers (entry level separation for hemorrhoids). When I sent up the waiver, it was immediately denied and the PGM was sent to me and quoted. I was made to feel pretty stupid for not knowing the PGM existed and that I couldn't recruit previous service.

Perhaps it has changed in the last two years (this was two years ago), so again, I'll check tomorrow.

But, with the amount of waivers you need, it's highly unlikely that it would get approved. It's really hard to even just get one approved, I'm sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues