Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,150 times

Advertisements

I am 30..I have 6 kids..I wAnna join military that's my dream..since I was akid.. what can I do.. I really wanna join military..pleaseven help..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 02:54 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
The Air Force has much stricter recruiting requirements at last I knew.

I know a mother of 3 that just enlisted in the Army and is shipping off to basic this week. Should have no issue with the Army and 6 kids. I think you have to show who will care for them though while you are deployed or in basic and school, tech school in the AF, not sure what the Army calls it.

I have no idea about the Marines and the Navy.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:06 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizataray1983 View Post
I am 30..I have 6 kids..I wAnna join military that's my dream..since I was akid.. what can I do.. I really wanna join military..pleaseven help..
Most of the dreams stay dreams if you decide to have 6 kids. Why would you want to put so many into this world and then join the military and get deployed all the time? That doesn't make sense. Stay home and take care of your kids. Did you ever watch a youtube video how children suffer when their parents get deployed or when they return? HEART BREAKING.

I worked for a daycare where some military kids went to. They suffered many months when their dad left them, they felt guilty and wondered if they did something wrong to make him leave. When they finally started to behave normal again, their dad came back and messed their mind up again. Same scenario then half a year later when he left again.

Do not put 6 (!!!) children through that. If you wanted to join and fullfill that dream, you should have kept your pants closed.

Also, the pay is not that great if you are just enlisted. You will have problems feeding your whole family. Get a "real" job that has you home in the evenings.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:57 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I know a mother of 3 that just enlisted in the Army and is shipping off to basic this week. Should have no issue with the Army and 6 kids.
You are wrong...

Old 10-28-2014, 05:01 PM

This is not from an official U.S. Military site.
From: http://www.project10.info/DetailPage.php?MainPageID=215
Dependents

Army
and Marines: Single parents are not eligible. Married applicants with more than two dependents are not eligible. Three or four dependents may be accepted with a waiver.

Air Force: Single parents are not eligible. Married applicants with more than one child are not eligible.
Coast Guard: Single females with dependents are not eligible. Single males with one dependent may be eligible if someone has custody while enlisted. Married applicants with more than two dependents are not eligible.

Navy: Single parents and those with more than one child are not eligible.

National Guard: Not known.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-28-2014 at 05:37 PM..

Old 10-31-2014, 08:16 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
You are wrong...
She has three kids and she's shipping out this week to basic. My step mothers daughter. Sorry, thats right. I don't know about 6 kids, but with three, there isn't a problem.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
She has three kids and she's shipping out this week to basic. My step mothers daughter. Sorry, thats right. I don't know about 6 kids, but with three, there isn't a problem.
I meant with six kids.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:00 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
She probably had to sign over her rights. Even back in the 1980s I remember one single mom in my basic that had to do that before they let her in.

I guess they can get them back later?? Maybe she is going guard or reserve?

Old 10-31-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
She probably had to sign over her rights. Even back in the 1980s I remember one single mom in my basic that had to do that before they let her in.

I guess they can get them back later?? Maybe she is going guard or reserve?
Probably?

They have to guarantee that there is someone to take care of the child in the event the parent is not able due to assigned duties, etc. It is common. It's not like you make it sound. Someone has to take care of the child. It is up to the parent to declare who will take care of the child in the event.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:07 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Probably?

They have to guarantee that there is someone to take care of the child in the event the parent is not able due to assigned duties, etc. It is common. It's not like you make it sound. Someone has to take care of the child. It is up to the parent to declare who will take care of the child in the event.
Not exactly signing away your rights. There is a document that has to be filled out and signed with a short-term care-giver (30 days or less) and a long term care-giver (over 30 days). Kids are no excuse for fulfilling your military duties.

Somehow I don't even believe you. 30 with 6 kids and you've always dreamed of being in the military? Or have you always dreamed of someone else taking care of you financially. It's not exactly a walk in the park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues