Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 01:41 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,007,648 times

Advertisements

Even though alot of military people joined because they didn't know what else to do or it was their last resort - they still risk(ed) their lifes for their country for a sometimes ridiculous pay. That's what I am thankful for. Because somebody has to do it and i don't want to. I highly respect those who do.

If i think back, my ex was an E6 - the work he did and the amount of timehe put in, even if it was just standing watch for many hours, eating the ships crappy food, not sleeping for days, plus the constant danger - was in no comparison to the little pay he received. That's what i am thankful for as a civilian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 01:48 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,021,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I am a disabled veteran from the Viet Nam era. As such, I use my ID Card for a variety of things, including, for instance a discount at certain retail locations. Many times when I show the card, people thank me for my service. It is a little awkward...because....

During the time which I served, we were the lowest form of life. We were fighting a war (it was our job) that the people hated, had no interest in, and therefore anyone associated with it was the lowest form of dirt. We were told to NOT wear our uniform outside of military functions, and to 'blend in' with society and not draw attention to ourselves. People spit on us, burned the American Flag, and generally made us feel like scum.

Now, we have just the opposite: People saying "Thank You". I know they mean well. I wonder sometimes how sincere they are, or whether it is just a "popular" thing for the moment, and come another difficult military struggle which the 'people' don't embrace will they turn on us once again?

So, I take it for what it is worth. A little awkward. A little humble. A little twinge of remembering those around us who never lived to get any sort of thanks. A little angst over the pain I feel every day (fractured spine) which they can't possibly share, nor appreciate.And a little curiosity that the person
offering the thanks doesn't really have any idea what they are saying but if it makes them feel better, it makes me feel better as well.

We're all people. It is just one way for us to be friends and get through the day. It's okay.
I've noticed it is the Vietnam era veterans who are leading the charge to ensure today's generation of troops are treated well. What happened to Te Vietnam vets is shameful. Dissent is one thing. Cultural revolution...whatever you wish. But to treat people, many of whom were drafted, the way our country treated Vietnam vets is as big am embarrassment to this country as any. But like many of our embarrassments, America takes steps to better itself. Today our troops are treated with a tremendous amount of public honor and dignity, and I believe it is the work of many of the Vietnam vets that has enabled this transition.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:39 PM

5,854 posts, read 5,295,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I've noticed it is the Vietnam era veterans who are leading the charge to ensure today's generation of troops are treated well. What happened to Te Vietnam vets is shameful. Dissent is one thing. Cultural revolution...whatever you wish. But to treat people, many of whom were drafted, the way our country treated Vietnam vets is as big am embarrassment to this country as any. But like many of our embarrassments, America takes steps to better itself. Today our troops are treated with a tremendous amount of public honor and dignity, and I believe it is the work of many of the Vietnam vets that has enabled this transition.

It was the Vietnam vets who started the "Support Our Troops" movement during Desert Shield/Desert Storm. They didn't want what happened to them to happen to others. I remember seeing them with their signs outside the Post Office everyday.

Cat

Old 04-14-2014, 02:40 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
I say "thank you" and move on. Certainly better than what we got after Vietnam--and I was in then, too.

I guess the current troops don't have being called a "baby-killer" to compare it to.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:02 PM

893 posts, read 887,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
It's nice that your dad is grateful when someone shows him a kind word.

My dad is a WWII veteran. My husband a veteran of Vietnam. My nephew is back and forth to Afghanistan on six inch centers.

Dad's gone now, but neither my husband nor my nephew appreciate strangers approaching them with a "Thank you for your service." They think it is intrusive and awkward.

They want decent medical care, decent pay, they want to be treated like the honorable men they are. My husband still feels betrayed by Vietnam. We were there for bogus reasons. Sound familiar?

Our soldiers signed up to defend our country, not Halliburton. There was no evidence that Afghanistan attacked us on 9/11 or that Iraq had WMDs for that matter. This whole thing has been a huge mess, cost a lot of lives, left countless people with injuries that will never heal.

$100 donation to the Disabled American Veterans, picking up a bar tab, or a teary-eyed thank-you doesn't cover it. Not by a long shot.
Leave your self righteous political crap out of this.

You obviously watch too much MNBC

Old 04-14-2014, 03:14 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,692,612 times
It always makes me feel uncomfortable. I think I feel that way since I never saw combat, having served at the tail end of a conflict. Maybe I think those thanks should be reserved for those who actually risked their lives. That's my guess, anyway.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:38 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,247,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
But your kidding yourself if you think I'll walk up and thank some 19 year old sailor who went in to be taken care of and never served a day in war time.
Trust me, he doesn't want or need your thanks, either. It's just as much that 19 year old sailor's commitment that allows you to sleep nice and sound at night and get to voice your opinions freely here as it is the marine who's on the front lines. You can deny that all you want, but it won't change the fact that it's true.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:52 PM

586 posts, read 831,920 times
It's only ever been said to me once and that was by an American, in Paris.

I think he said it almost automatically as when I grinned at him and what he'd said he started laughing. He seemed a nice man, he had a good line in dirty jokes too.

Tanking the military is not something we do.

Last edited by Mr Blue Sky; 04-14-2014 at 05:02 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 04:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,640,387 times
I think the people who are of the "Well, I'll thank you if you were on the front lines in a war zone, but other than that, nah," persuasion lack a fundamental understanding of military service.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:08 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,484,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Well then PLEASE allow me to be the 1st to take the time to SERIOUSLY, COMPLETELY THANK YOU AND THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN THANKED!!!

We are fortunate enough to live in San Antonio...each and every week we graduate a new batch of Airmen. My DH served in the AF 24 yrs, all but one of our 6 kids have served, and everytime we see a new Airman out on town pass with his family (mostly while dining out on the weekends when they have town pass) my DH and I walk up and shake their hand and THANK them for their service for us and our country! While traveling and dining at an airport eating establishment, we make it a point to look for someone in uniform and purchase their meal without their knowledge and "pay it forward". Do the same for police, anywhere we see them eating, but then my only brother was shot and killed in the line of duty, so the sacrifices made by people in uniform is something so very heartwarming and touching to us.
We know people personally that did not come home one day, both in service TO their country and IN their country. GOD BLESS THOSE WILLING TO PUT OTHERS BEFORE SELF!
What's amazing is many of these folks WANT TO do it. When talks of reinstating the draft back around mid 2000's, many in the armed forces didn't want this, as they'd much prefer to have people serving alongside them who are also into their duties as much as they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues