Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:38 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,421,449 times

Advertisements

Both my wife and I have told a police officer that we thank them for their service.

Recently, my wife and I were in a flower nursery looking at flowers to buy. The guy helping us had a hat on that said 'Vietnam Vet'. My wife thanked him for his service and gave him a hug. He was very receptive. He said that she was the first person to thank him. This was in about 2005. 30 years after the Vietnam War ended. Sad, indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 04:40 PM

26,003 posts, read 22,192,881 times
I was in supply in the AF in the 70's, not any great feat compared to what many do as they serve the country so I just feel awkward but I appreciate the comment and see it more as an across the board "thank you" to all that have served. I do appreciate that they have thought that many do deserve a "thank you".

Old 04-16-2014, 04:42 PM

28,694 posts, read 18,846,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The soldiers I know don't want to share their combat experiences with random folks.
True enough.

All the older men in my family are combat veterans, and none of them even shared their real experiences with me until they were in their 80s...and I was a decade beyond my own 26-year military career. I suspect the reason even then was because in their old age they began to feel a need to unburden themselves.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:44 PM

51,659 posts, read 25,891,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Just because your nephew is annoyed by the thank you for your service, doesnt' mean everybody out there are. as long as people respect boundaries, don't know why is it such a big deal?

"taking your anger out on civilians doesn't really work out for you, does it? "
I'm not sure what the last sentence is all about. I've had a number of reps and comments, so I'm thinking I might not be the only one who sees things this way. But if I am, so be it. Wouldn't be the first time.

You bet I'm angry that we treat vets so poorly. We all ought to be ashamed of the way our nation treats them. I don't understand why those folks who are so appreciative of their service aren't angry as well.

IMO, the best way to thank soldiers for their service is to see that they are treated well both while they are in the military as well as afterwards.

Those who want to pick up the tab for the soldiers eating or drinking across the room, feel free to do so. I'm sure it will be appreciated.

If you feel strongly that you need to thank soldiers for their service whenever you see one, go for it. I'm sure there are those who bask in the glow of adoration by strangers.

However, many find this practice odd and self-servicing.

Just saying.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:47 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,968,527 times
I am an odd duck. I talk to people all the time. People I've never met, or expect to meet again. I say silly things like, "Excuse me"; "Let me help you"; "Thank you for your service". I have spoken to many random people and none of them have ever indicated to me that I need to shut up. Until now. But I'm such an Odd Duck that I'm not going to change my ways at this late date.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
True enough.

All the older men in my family are combat veterans, and none of them even shared their real experiences with me until they were in their 80s...and I was a decade beyond my own 26-year military career. I suspect the reason even then was because in their old age they began to feel a need to unburden themselves.
I think so too.

Invisible wounds of war.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:53 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,951 times
@GotHereQuickAsICould

Different strokes for different folks. I also served. I remember hearing stories from WW2 veterans being looked at and treatted as heros comming home by our society and people were greatful. Big parades, public honors etc. So what has changed? Our service men are still making the same sacrifices, doing the same honorable thing. So if societies attitudes have changed? It still doesn't change the sacrifice, we maynot have the big parades anymore but at least we can say thank you. Its on us as civilians to show it.

Personally, it was an honor to serve and i never required a thank you, but today its worse, public opinion is bad. Maybe if we changed society values, then maybe it would be exceptable to say thank you again like we did with WW2 vets.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I am an odd duck. I talk to people all the time. People I've never met, or expect to meet again. I say silly things like, "Excuse me"; "Let me help you"; "Thank you for your service". I have spoken to many random people and none of them have ever indicated to me that I need to shut up. Until now. But I'm such an Odd Duck that I'm not going to change my ways at this late date.
If you have such a strong need to strike up conversations with random strangers, go for it.

I had an uncle like that at one time. He'd go up to kids and pretend he'd stolen their noses. But it would really be his thumb stuck between his two fingers. He'd walk up to a woman and tell her that he'd fight her for her coat. He thought he was quite the card and believed that everyone enjoyed his antics.

Alas, I believe he was mistaken a good deal of the time.

But don't let that slow you down.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@GotHereQuickAsICould

Different strokes for different folks. I also served. I remember hearing stories from WW2 veterans being looked at and treatted as heros comming home by our society and people were greatful. Big parades, public honors etc. So what has changed? Our service men are still making the same sacrifices, doing the same honorable thing. So if societies attitudes have changed? It still doesn't change the sacrifice, we maynot have the big parades anymore but at least we can say thank you. Its on us as civilians to show it.

Personally, it was an honor to serve and i never required a thank you, but today its worse, public opinion is bad. Maybe if we changed society values, then maybe it would be exceptable to say thank you again like we did with WW2 vets.
I think it would be great to treat soldiers and vets as heroes. Welcome home parades would be a great idea. My Dad told of coming home in the second wave and missing all the women throwing their arms around soldiers in grateful appreciation. Now that's a welcome home that beats a "Thank you for your service," any day of the week.

If you think you are doing a good deed by going up to strangers and thanking them, then go for it.

But I and other people here are telling you that not everyone appreciates it.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:08 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If you have such a strong need to strike up conversations with random strangers, go for it.

I had an uncle like that at one time. He'd go up to kids and pretend he'd stolen their noses. But it would really be his thumb stuck between his two fingers. He'd walk up to a woman and tell her that he'd fight her for her coat. He thought he was quite the card and believed that everyone enjoyed his antics.

Alas, I believe he was mistaken a good deal of the time.

But don't let that slow you down.
Theres a difference between approaching a complete civilian stranger and a military stranger. The other day i approach a army soldier at starbucks and commented on his combat boots because they looked so comfortable compareed to the old hard boondockers we had when i served and told him that he smiled said "oh i remember those and agreed, we made small talk and i told him "I know its an honor to serve our country and most guys don't need a thank you but really thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues