Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 04:11 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,359,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalva321 View Post
This is not true, discrimination signifies a class of people, its not just about race.
You missed the entire point of my post. I never said that discrimination only applied to race. I was using it as an example. Maybe you should educate yourself on the art of conversation and not inserting meaning or words where there are none. Please show me where I said discrimination only applies to race, versus where I used race as an example? When giving an example of discrimination, I do not have to list every conceivable example in existance.

They are not treating some people within a class of people different than others. They are not restricting anyone's rights. They are saying 100% disabled people get a benefit that other people who are not 100% disabled do not receive. In no way are partially disabled people being denied a right. I freaking know that discrimination involves more than race, I was just illustrating that they are treating ALLL 30% disabled people the same, which makes it hard to cite discrimination.

100% disabled people and 30% disabled people aren't required to be extended the same benefits. Not offering 30% disabled people special license plates does not amount to any legal definition of discrimination. If you tried to take them to court for discrimination, you would lose. It is not discrimination to only offer special license plates to certain people. Even having a small handicap doesn't automatically beget you handicap plates. You have to reach a certain threshold. My myopia does not get me handicapped plates- that isn't discrimination though. I have anxiety, it doesn't earn me handicapped plates. Does that mean I have been discriminated against? No. It does not.

Not getting a senior discount doesn't mean a 32 year old faces age discrimination. Not being allowed to drink until 21 doesn't mean an 18 year old faces age discrimination. This is sort of the same way that not giving a special license plate to a 30% disabled vet is not discrimination. (yes, I know age isn't the only way someone can be discriminated against, just an illustration).

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-14-2019 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: Edited quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 04:50 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,892,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
You have no way of knowing if the person you see is disabled or not. You can't tell by looking. They don't have to be staggering around to be disabled. Perhaps they have a heart condition, or spine condition that keeps them from walking very far.
The ones I have seen are sure NOT disabled.

It is easy to see if someone really has a walking problem or something akin to it.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:17 PM

7,811 posts, read 6,441,100 times
50 states, 51 different sets of rules. Your state makes up the rules for you. You could start by filling in the state where you live.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:06 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,900,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
50 states, 51 different sets of rules. Your state makes up the rules for you. You could start by filling in the state where you live.
Agreed!

Old 07-09-2019, 02:03 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,088,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCashman View Post
I have had DV plates since at least 1991. At that time, I was only rated 10% disabled. I was fighting the VA for other disability ratings. It took many years, bit I am currently rated 100% disabled.

I would like to point out that having DV plates does not give you any privileges or benefits.

DV plates are not Handicap plates. They are two different things!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It's amazing how many people don't understand this. In Alaska, DV plates alone do not allow parking in handicapped spots. Only after you have met the State of Alaska's criteria for getting a handicapped license plate will you be issued DV plates with the wheelchair symbol, assuming you already meet the VA's criteria. Getting DV plates without the wheelchair symbol simply means you meet the VA's criteria for being disabled. And the VA's criteria is totally different than the state's criteria.
It depends on the state, and depends on which DV plate you get.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:04 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,088,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
The ones I have seen are sure NOT disabled.

It is easy to see if someone really has a walking problem or something akin to it.
That's ignorant. Even a doctor could not tell if everyone has a disability just by looking at them walk, how can you? There are more reasons to have a classified disability than just bad knees.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:12 AM

958 posts, read 2,137,163 times
Here in Texas the qualifications to receive Disabled Veterans tags is to have a 50 percent service-related disability, or 40 percent due to amputation of a lower extremity.

Last year the VA assigned me a disability rating of 60%. My service officer at the VA Hospital told me I should get DV tags, they're free but there is a $3.00 fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues