Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 04:06 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,352,813 times

Advertisements

It might be confusing to MEPS that you said your son had asthma, and the doctor said he didn't. Inconsistencies are a huge problem for MEPS. However, I have a decade of recruiting experience, including as a supervisor, and I can tell you what MEPS is asking for is COMPLETELY normal. I'm actually surprised the recruiter didn't tell you to withhold the information, but that shows the recruiter has integrity so that is good. Word to the wise, I've seen people disqualified for PFTs that the doctor said didn't show asthma, but that were also not completely normal. Do you have a copy of his PFT? Can you google normal PFT vs Abnormal, and compare the graphs on your son's to the ones you google? There is this weird middle ground where a PFT doesn't show asthma, but also doesn't show completely normal.

Have faith, the records will be sent to the SG, and he has an excellent chance of getting in based on what you wrote here. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 932 times
Unhappy Bad Mom 2

Hello Bad Mom, Please dont feel as if you are the only one out there I live in Arizona and just yesterday the same exact situation almost to the tee is happening to my son. He was told by the recruiter to lie but he got nervous at MEPS and when he gave his story on medical history it got mixed up and over exaggerated and to make things worse when filling out forms i misread his documents with his sisters and put down wrong information so now we are playing this same exact game and trying to correct all of this so that he can join the boy has never been to the doctor other than checkup and vaccines other than when he was born a few weeks early and had jaundice and they gave him some medicine to treat wheezing as "asthma like" symptoms. He relayed on a ventalator and had asthma diagnosed at birth NO TRUE statement but now we have to prove everything. I feel your pain and will keep you posted thanks for your post it feels a ltttle better knowing that I am not the only one out there. I take blame that many storeis between him and sister are combined and confused and thus end result is this so I am trying to keep my head up and hope for the best as something he doesnt and or has he ever had should disqualifiy him due to not knowing the real circumstance and or the wording for the medical he got in return. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMommaL View Post
My 19 year old son has been trying to enlist for almost a year now. I was completely honest with the recruiter when he asked if he had ever been prescribed albuterol in his life. I told him he had allergy induced asthma two months out of the year in early elementary school and I thought possibly albuterol had been prescribed. - Bad mistake Mom!

1. We have provided his medical records for the last 8 years.
2. We have provided a letter from his Dr stating she has never treated him for Asthma. We live in a small town with 1 Dr.)
3. We had a PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) done at the hospital 2 towns over & above average results for his age group - completely clear.
4. We have provided the last 6 years of pharmacy records (that's as far back as CVS goes) - no asthma or breathing related scripts. Only 2 antibiotics. Its the only pharmacy in our town.
5. Now we are being asked to submit a letter to MEPS stating he does not have asthma and that the records are all correct.

I feel like my son has wasted an entire year trying to join.

My son is healthy and scored above average on his ASVAB. He does not have any criminal history. It's disappointing that it's this difficult to enlist.

Old 06-19-2020, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 932 times
Thumbs up Meps

In my situation they gave my son back his paperwork and just asked him to provide birth records and actions plans or any medications that may show he was considered asthmatic. I am fourtunate that he had jaundice and was in an incubator which he relayed into ventalator with our birth records and all others showing this kid never went to doctor for anything and a parent statement i think we are fine it was his sister that had the asthma and born early over the years as parents i think confusion in stories begin to link them selves and thus the statement his recruiter is not doing anything to help him.. He has had the Presidents award on three occasions and also cleared for sports form the age of 6 till present and even cleared to pcs to okinawa when he was 10 with no issues while his sister and i were efmp members so that we could clear to travel i will keep you all posted cross your fingers wish us luck thanks.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:13 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,352,813 times
How exactly do you think the recruiter could help???
This is on you all to straighten out. Good luck!

Old 06-24-2020, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMommaL View Post
My 19 year old son has been trying to enlist for almost a year now. I was completely honest with the recruiter when he asked if he had ever been prescribed albuterol in his life. I told him he had allergy induced asthma two months out of the year in early elementary school and I thought possibly albuterol had been prescribed. - Bad mistake Mom!

1. We have provided his medical records for the last 8 years.
2. We have provided a letter from his Dr stating she has never treated him for Asthma. We live in a small town with 1 Dr.)
3. We had a PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) done at the hospital 2 towns over & above average results for his age group - completely clear.
4. We have provided the last 6 years of pharmacy records (that's as far back as CVS goes) - no asthma or breathing related scripts. Only 2 antibiotics. Its the only pharmacy in our town.
5. Now we are being asked to submit a letter to MEPS stating he does not have asthma and that the records are all correct.

I feel like my son has wasted an entire year trying to join.

My son is healthy and scored above average on his ASVAB. He does not have any criminal history. It's disappointing that it's this difficult to enlist.

Was he ever able to join? My son is nearly in the same boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues