Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 03:23 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,735,060 times

Advertisements

Cool story, best of luck to the future Infantryman!

Also, for those nitpicking, yes the headline is a bit misleading as I'm sure he could have kept his long hair until reception/basic where he'll get it all buzzed off. But he wanted to donate his hair first.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...182640972.html

Quote:
Reynaldo Arroyo is looking like a new man in his preparations to serve his country.

After growing out his hair for 15 years, 23-year-old Arroyo decided that it was finally time to get the big chop done in order to serve in the U.S. Army.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 05:10 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,124,661 times
Dude has great hair! Both before & after the cut & an awesome personality too.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:11 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,831,987 times
He he he... Hope he does well!

Old 08-20-2019, 09:35 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,068,561 times
The Army doesn't cut it all off initially? Still seems long for basic training so maybe this was just to capture it for donation purposes before he actually enters basic and gets buzzzzzzzed.

We had a guy in our basic training squad who joined with hair down to his waist. This was July 1976. Man, he was impossible to recognize after we all got our 30-second hair cuts. Gone in a flash.

It was funny to watch everyone walk out feeling their head after the haircuts. Good times!

Old 08-20-2019, 09:46 AM

I think those pictures were before the haircut and immediately after the haircut, perhaps before he entered the service...

Here is a video: https://www.khq.com/national/he-cut-...8632bebc2.html

Old 08-20-2019, 03:18 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,068,561 times
I think you're right. Good on him for using his hair to help someone else.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:04 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,720,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
The Army doesn't cut it all off initially? Still seems long for basic training so maybe this was just to capture it for donation purposes before he actually enters basic and gets buzzzzzzzed.
I'm pretty sure someone let him know that showing up at Basic with several feet of hair would bring him unnecessary and unwelcome (and enduring) attention.

One look at that hair, and he's going to be some Drill Sergeant's 'favorite' for the whole ten weeks.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:18 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,607,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I'm pretty sure someone let him know that showing up at Basic with several feet of hair would bring him unnecessary and unwelcome (and enduring) attention.

One look at that hair, and he's going to be some Drill Sergeant's 'favorite' for the whole ten weeks.
When I went to Marine Corps boot camp I got my hair cut within a few hours of my arrival. I never even saw a drill instructor until that evening, and they were just the ones watching over us while a new series was being formed up (four platoons) in the receiving area. I didn't see my actual drill instructors until about two weeks after I arrived. Doesn't the army have a similar receiving area where recruits wait until their platoons are fully formed up?

Old 08-21-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
When I went to Marine Corps boot camp I got my hair cut within a few hours of my arrival. I never even saw a drill instructor until that evening, and they were just the ones watching over us while a new series was being formed up (four platoons) in the receiving area. I didn't see my actual drill instructors until about two weeks after I arrived. Doesn't the army have a similar receiving area where recruits wait until their platoons are fully formed up?
Yes, the army had a similar receiving area, but in 1968, when I went in it was one day of waiting...

Old 08-21-2019, 01:04 PM

8,507 posts, read 6,926,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I went through during Vietnam. Haircut within an hour or so. Few hours of sleep. Started training next day with our assigned DI’s. We had a speeded up training period of only 8 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues