Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 02:46 PM

11,148 posts, read 9,789,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post
This happens to me because I am on F/B PUBLIC.......becaue i wanted to meet people men and women from different countries, but not scammers......
OH BROTHER! No wonder! My FB is private, and even I get a few of these a-holes. Stop putting yourself out there to be scammed. Right now you are a potential victim of every scam artist on FB. ANYTIME anyone asks you to do them a favor before ever meeting you in person, IT'S A SCAM. Just know that. In your heart, you must accept that people who've never met you in real life and ask for ANYTHING are scammers, period, end of subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 03:21 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,067,063 times
Quote:
This happens to me because I am on F/B PUBLIC.......becaue i wanted to meet people men and women from different countries, but not scammers......
Based on your posts and lack of….experience, you may want to re-think your methodology to meet others.

Old 07-24-2021, 06:57 PM

6,589 posts, read 7,101,323 times
Quote:
I made a friend through Facebook, who is in Yemen, with the Military. We have been friends for over a month, and he will be returning to the USA in two months. He asked me, if I could do him a favor. He stated that he is paid in Yemen money, and that he cannot get a bank in the USA that he can do business with until he returns home. He claims that he has no money to be able to buy anything there, and because he is in the frontline fighting, he is not allowed to leave the base.

All the money he has been paid through the Military, and he has been myriad of years with them, is in different countries currency. He wants me to say that I am his wife, and receive the money at my home, for him. He mentioned that the United Nations Department, will bring it to me directly to my home, and that all I have to do is accept it.

I have not given him my ultimate decision because I do not know much about Military Laws, or currency from other countries. Is that considered Money Laundering? Can I be arrested for it? How will that affect me directly with the Internal Revenue Service, in the USA, since my name, address, and telephone number will have to be provided before hand. I have never been involved with the Law in any way. I am a law-abiding citizen, and want to make sure, if what he wants me to do is legal, and if I can be prosecuted for it. Thank you for your help. And have a great day.
RED FLAG do not under any circumstances agree. You do not want to go to jail. It is you are going to be on the line here. Your life and livelihood and possibly your freedoms.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:52 AM

12,064 posts, read 10,294,429 times
catfish

Old 07-25-2021, 09:14 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,181,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
I think you should stay off of social media. You seem to attract nuts, enjoy a fantasy life here or…who knows. I’ve never seem one person with so many claims. I’m sure there are many more but this was a two minute review of your silliness.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rela...you-judge.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/coas...e-records.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/non-...r-opinion.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rela...ld-you-do.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rela...ould-help.html

OP is either the most naive person I've ever encountered, or a troll with too much time on her hands so she invents these outrageous stories for the entertainment they provide.

I'm guessing troll, because it's hard for me to believe anyone would fall for so many scams.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:18 AM

6,473 posts, read 4,001,851 times
Quote:
Sounds like it's time to give that up. How many real, genuine people have you met through this? (And why, in all of your posts, is it always men you're meeting if you're interested in meeting anyone?) Why not try expat forums or State Department employees if you want to talk to people who live in other countries?

I think it's time for you to talk to some of your friends and family-- real-life friends and family-- about how you can learn to not be gullible. (This article is actually not too bad on giving you ideas to think about, even though it's on Wikihow.) And possibly do some reading on common scams-- this is one that is pretty well-known and many people would (and as you see here, did) recognize it right away.

One question I always tell people here with these kinds of situations to ask themselves is: why you? Why would someone you have never met and barely know ask you to help them with a financial situation rather than their family or close friends? The fact that they do ask you rather than people they're close to suggests it's because they have to. They likely have to for one of two reasons: 1. they're not actually legitimate, or 2. their family/friends will not help them financially and there's probably a reason for that--IOW, they've been burned and won't let it happen again, or know the person too well and know they'll be burned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I've not heard of this specific scam before, but my guess is that the next step is going to be that they can't deliver the money in person, and instead are going to deposit it. You give him an account number, someone deposits money, you mail a check or buy a gift card and give him the number, and then they reverse the deposit on the funds and you are screwed.
Oh, I've heard of this scam many times. They don't always say they're in the military, although scammers claiming to be in the military is a common one (across many such scams. To the point that if I met someone online and they said they were in the military, I would immediately be suspicious, sad to say. Sometimes they say they're clergy instead).

It's a broad scam. Sometimes it's as in this case-- they're in another country and not getting paid in USD and need help. Or there's some kind of political unrest or problem with their employer and they haven't gotten paid and need a loan. Or there's a problem with their bank account and they need money until it gets sorted out or need money to get back to the US to sort it out because they can only do it here. Or need money to get back to the US to visit their dying grandmother. Or their Yemeni friend's goat is dying and the friend needs money for the vet but they (the scammer) can't give it to them because it's not payday yet. Or whatever. Whatever it is, it's likely to be a sob story.

Then there are the ones where they're in the military and moved overseas and want to sell you a car that's on the other side of the country from you and all you have to do is wire them the money and the car will be delivered to you. There's a version of it where they're a buyer claiming to be in the military & etc. etc.; I can't remember how that works but I remember a few years ago when I was used-car shopping and one guy I called about his car told me about the other guy who was interested and it was this story (I hope I convinced him the dude was a scammer but I'm not sure I did; I was just a stranger on the phone who turned out to not even be interested in his car)-- that's probably the one where they send you a check but oops, it's for too much so all you have to do is return the extra, and then right after you do, the check bounces...

Old 07-25-2021, 09:54 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,732,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
OP is either the most naive person I've ever encountered, or a troll with too much time on her hands so she invents these outrageous stories for the entertainment they provide.

I'm guessing troll, because it's hard for me to believe anyone would fall for so many scams.
This! Based on the grammar and wording in the other posts, this reads just like the Nigerian Prince that has contacted me!

Old 07-25-2021, 12:17 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,248,949 times
Quote:
I made a friend through Facebook, who is in Yemen, with the Military. We have been friends for over a month, and he will be returning to the USA in two months. He asked me, if I could do him a favor. He stated that he is paid in Yemen money, and that he cannot get a bank in the USA that he can do business with until he returns home. He claims that he has no money to be able to buy anything there, and because he is in the frontline fighting, he is not allowed to leave the base.

All the money he has been paid through the Military, and he has been myriad of years with them, is in different countries currency. He wants me to say that I am his wife, and receive the money at my home, for him. He mentioned that the United Nations Department, will bring it to me directly to my home, and that all I have to do is accept it.

I have not given him my ultimate decision because I do not know much about Military Laws, or currency from other countries. Is that considered Money Laundering? Can I be arrested for it? How will that affect me directly with the Internal Revenue Service, in the USA, since my name, address, and telephone number will have to be provided before hand. I have never been involved with the Law in any way. I am a law-abiding citizen, and want to make sure, if what he wants me to do is legal, and if I can be prosecuted for it. Thank you for your help. And have a great day.

Sure - sounds like a reasonable request.

Are you really as naïve as your posts suggest? are you twelve years old? or are you bored?

k7baixo is right. But as long as we are all having fun with hypothetical situations, why not?

Old 07-25-2021, 12:21 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,248,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
This! Based on the grammar and wording in the other posts, this reads just like the Nigerian Prince that has contacted me!
Do you think that this is a possibility that may have occurred? I have heard that the senior secretary of the interior has asked her to assist with a problem with cash and the local government. If some of the funds can be moved to another country, international aid will be available to help their poor countrymen. There is of course a fee that will be paid if she helps the secretary find a way to achieve this.

Old 07-25-2021, 03:51 PM

22,308 posts, read 19,277,553 times
friends? for a month? met on line?

SCAM

also ask yourself, what is your own personal motivation in even considering doing this? to get a boyfriend? to get some money yourself?
what motivates you to lie to the federal government about being married to someone from another country whom you have never seen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues