Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 11:11 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Why not try meeting real people.
This seems like a good place to jump in. Several many reasons.

First of all, often it is a case of being upfront with what you are without being in the situation where you reveal it to the world. Hence the reason for being on line when you do it. Secondly to that, on line you don't need to have all your physical shields up from making sure that no one is spiking your drink to looking around for where the fire escape is if you need to bug out.

But online one often runs into a situation where the man's description says he is in your area only to get to a point where he suddenly drops his veil and says, Yes, he lives in your town but he has been deployed and won't be back for several months.

It, the approach, has happened to me several times and by now, I am quite fed up with it and have very little patience to it. They play on one's hope, making you think that he is the one, so you are tempted, in the early days, to stay with it, keep talking to them.........but sooner or later, one realizes that he is a JERK and whatever you think might happen isn't going to happen at all.

Sometimes, it isn't some story about being deployed. I had one a few weeks ago where things were going great and then he says, "Can you give me $50 for groceries?". I might have said GOOD BYE as I dropped and blocked him.

Fate is on my side that the scams of the world are protected by being paranoid and being on the Frontier. They want to communicate in an instant off the site and in email. Well, that falls into the ball park of "Please, Sir, seduce me a little before you take my clothes off." (actually, that is my line when they want pictures immediately but it works here, too). They want to continue talking on some web site they want me to sign up for. Not going to do it because I have enough Shadow Copies of myself on the net, sites that I only used once, and I am not looking to add more. Plus, there's another element or two to it.

First, more in connection to this thread, is staying in an environment, if electronic, that is familiar to you and not letting them take you to one where the deck might be stacked, one way or another, in their favor. This philosophy may be a sound one to follow both in E Space and in the real world.

Secondly, I talk my contacts to death, over two nights at least, for two main reasons. First, to see how much in reality they actually are. When, for instance, I talk about willingness for a threesome and they immediately shift to being a Paul Snyder and seeing me as a way to make money, I know they don't have a grip and drop them. Secondly, I know I am pretty intense so I give men a night to think about it, not jerks or jerks.

They want my cell phone number. They don't believe me when I say reception sucks out on the frontier and it is probably just as well.

No money sent, no nude pictures given (is that the modern version of "he slept with me & now he doesn't call me"?), no additional comm circuits past where we met (I do use a zero security email that is used only for that).

Geeee, what a conniving world we live in....but that's the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 04:02 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post
I realize now that it is a scam, but you have to understand that this does not happen right away, I have been communicating with this gentleman for quite a while. He was respectful, endearing, funny, very-knowledgeable about the world and life, in general. Sixty-one years' old, he said, with beautiful white hair, no wrinkles, rosy cheeks, and the most beautiful dimples on his cheeks, I have ever seen in anyone, classy, sophisticate, envisioning everything a woman would want in a man that age. Although, I have taken into consideration that perhaps, his photographs may have been retouched. And he must have a PH.D in Romance Languages , because he is so loving, caring, and understanding. So sure, one can easily fall in love with someone that they do not even know, anyone can fall for that......have I send him any money? No, instead I try to at least get the opinions of people who are knowledgeable with the Military System, something that I do not know anything about, but thanks to you all, now I know a lot.

A lot of these scammers or catfish, as detailed in the AARP leaflet, portray themselves as SURGEONS, of all categories, because they figure that is what women want to hear. But, I have my own money, worked very-hard for it. I do not need anyone's money. At least, I was able to get the opinions, and thinking process of many people here, rather that just taking my own feelings into perspective. And yes, Facebook is full of Scammers or Catfish men. But more and more, I will eventually become an expert on deciphering such men. I am a woman who is hungry for all type of knowledge, and I welcome everyone's opinion, good or not so good. But, most of all, every one that reads my entries, will learn from me, and that is PRICELESS.

And if my present and past tenses may seem a little-out of focus to some people, here, that is because I am an American- born, yet raised, and educated in another country. No apologies for that.
do a reverse picture google search. You will find it was probably scooped up from some other site

I did that for my classmate that was being catfished. Found the guys picture in several places. She still didn't believe me - so I just gave up and let her do whatever.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:27 PM

300 posts, read 238,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
do a reverse picture google search. You will find it was probably scooped up from some other site

I did that for my classmate that was being catfished. Found the guys picture in several places. She still didn't believe me - so I just gave up and let her do whatever.

Thank you so very much, Clemencia, greatly appreciated.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:30 PM

300 posts, read 238,638 times
Default Jasmine Basmati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

Thank you so very much, Clemencia, greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues