Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 01:00 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of valid information available. Here is just a small portion which may help you understand some issues.

Rich

---------------------------------------------------------

"Did You Serve in the U.S. Military? - The Department of Veterans Affairs has determined that certain illnesses have been associated with military service. Please check the lists of illnesses and health concerns that have been identified with service during the wars listed. If you served during one or more of these periods of war and have any of the highlighted diseases, you may be eligible for compensation, benefits and health care":

Veterans Health Council

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: CDC - National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities Home - NCBDDD

CDC - Veterans Health - Gulf War Studies - Birth Defects
Birth Defects

In 1994, CDC collaborated with the Mississippi Department of Health and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to investigate reports of adverse birth outcomes among members of two Mississippi National Guard Units that served in the Gulf War. This investigation found no increase above expected rates in the total number of birth defects or in the frequency of premature births and low birth-weight babies.

CDC - Veterans Health - Gulf War Studies

Gulf War Studies:
Health Effects of Exposure to Smoke from Oil Well Fires
Birth Defects
Air Force Study
Health Assessment of Gulf War Veterans from Iowa
Iowa Asthma Follow-Up Study
Cognitive Function and Symptom Patterns in Gulf War Veterans
Defining Gulf War Illness
Assessing the Potential Health Impact of the Gulf War on Saudi Arabia National Guard Members
Epidemiologic Study of the Occurrence of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Among Gulf War Veterans
Deployment to the Gulf War and Subsequent Development of Cancer
Gulf War Research Planning Conference
Web Based Central Library (Medsearch)
Listen to/view CDC podcasts on your computer or download them for reliable health and safety information when and where you want it. Deployment Health: Family and Child Issues
CDC - Podcasts

GulfLINK was established in August 1995 to provide on-line access to medical, operational, and intelligence documents from the 1990-1991 Gulf War. Its purpose was and is to provide Service members, veterans, and any interested person with information on what happened during that war that might have affected the health of those who served. Our new-look GulfLINK contains all the reports, documents, and links of its predecessor and continues our commitment to our Service members:

GulfLINK

8 studies of birth defects
00-69 DoD tracks military birth defects
GulfLINK - Birth defects study of veterans’ children shows no linkage to service in the Gulf.

If you go to GulfLINK and serach the term birth defects there are over 200 reports you can go through, the above were the first 3...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-17-2012 at 04:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 02:33 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,238,832 times
To determine whether deployment has increased the rate of birth defects, studies have been done to compare birth defect rates for groups who were deployed and similar groups who were not deployed:

For Iraq:

MMS: Error

The above study did not show an increase in birth defects, but it was criticized because it did not include pregnancy losses such as miscarriage or stillbirths or terminations of pregnancies with defects.

This study was done in the UK to address those concerns:

Miscarriage, stillbirth and congenital malformation in the offspring of UK veterans of the first Gulf war

This was done using a survey, and the discussion points out some of the biases that can result from doing that.

The conclusions:

"Offspring of male UK veterans of the first Gulf war were not found to have increased risks of stillbirth, chromosomal malformations, or syndromes.

Fathers' service in the first Gulf war was associated with an increased risk of miscarriage and some groups of malformations.

These results need to be interpreted with caution and we cannot at this stage conclude that the associations are causal.

For female veterans there was no increased risk of miscarriage in pregnancies conceived since the war. Stillbirths and malformations were too few to analyse."

Birth defects prevalence among infants of Persian... [Teratology. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI

No increased risk was found.

For depleted uranium:

http://www.nature.com/jes/journal/v1.../7500551a.html

"Veterans and civilians who did not occupy DU-contaminated vehicles are unlikely to have internalized quantities of DU significantly in excess of normal internalization of natural uranium from the environment."

At this point, there is no strong evidence that deployed veterans are having large numbers of children with birth defects. The possible increased risk of miscarriage is undergoing further study, but that increased risk may just be due to the biases associated with surveys.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:53 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,345,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt nani View Post
I didn't give any statistical conclusion, I asked for statistics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt nani
It appears the problematic birth diminishes as time away from the service increases
That second line would be what's called an inference...a statistical conclusion. It is phrased exactly as if the evidence is already there and you are interpreting it as X indicates causation to Y. Perhaps a better way to put it if you weren't trying to come to a conclusion:

"Does problematic birth diminish as time away from the service increases? Are there any studies on this?"

Old 03-21-2012, 11:14 AM

37,109 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt nani View Post
Since I first posted my issue with my daughters child I have read so many posts from mothers, fathers, grandparents all saying the same things. I wonder why the army is looking for the birth defects so early in pregnancies? The testing alone makes me believe they know something is wrong and are looking for specific problems because they know the problems exist. That said why don't they let the soldiers know before they go through the pregnancy? It is historically proven almost impossible to put blame on one thing one event one cause of a birth defect/cancer/toxic substance. The armed services should be relatively insulated from liability. So why not let the soldiers know the statistics that we all are seeing now and save them the heartache of these births? It appears the problematic birth diminishes as time away from the service increases but that presents another problem and that is the cost of caring for the babies. This situation sucks for these kids/young adults and the only advise I can give my daughter is to stay in the army so they can shoulder the cost of the child's needs.

Looking for birth defects is the standard of care for any pregnancy. Right now the statistics do not support the thesis that soldiers and wives of soldiers who were deployed are having more problems than soldiers and wives of soldiers who were not deployed.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,931 times
My fiance was deployed over seas, he said he was given tons of vaccines. i had a child before I met her, she was born healthy with no birth defects. We now have 2 beautiful girls. They both have heart murmurs, they both are tongue tied. really how can you explain both children having the same defects. Not one person in our families has these defects. I'm just praying that they do not find any other defects or illnesses in the future. PLease Please do your research before you let the drs. poison your children. Just because there drs doesnt mean they are god, they get paid to pump you with drugs an poisons open your eyes an mind.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:16 PM

48 posts, read 86,221 times
I conceived my first while stationed in Baghdad. She was born with a small heart defect that corrected itself. She also has autism. There is no way to know if these are a consequence of the environment.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:18 PM

48 posts, read 86,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI Wife View Post
I'm wondering if any of you soldiers, sailors, airman or marines who have been deployed to Iraq have come home and since your return had babies be born with any kind of birth defects. My hubby returned from Iraq in 2006 and in 2007 we had a son stillborn with numerous birth defects. Of course we've heard how it's just a fluke and has nothing to do with the immunizations he received or anything he was exposed to so we tried again only to lose that baby at 16 weeks. So at this point I have to wonder if the exposures he encountered during his deployments contributed to these devastating events. I also have to mention that we have two other healthy children who were conceived before his deployments. I truly hope the answer to my question is that no one else has had to go through this, but if you have I really would like to know what your experiences have been. I also should mention that there were two other military wives I knew of who lost babies in the last trimester around the same time that we did. There just seem to be too many signs that point toward these deployments. I'd also like to mention that I'm very proud of my hubby's service but I hope that losing these babies aren't sacrifices we've made for our country.
So sorry for your losses.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:55 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,761,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesshahn30 View Post
My fiance was deployed over seas, he said he was given tons of vaccines. i had a child before I met her, she was born healthy with no birth defects. We now have 2 beautiful girls. They both have heart murmurs, they both are tongue tied. really how can you explain both children having the same defects. Not one person in our families has these defects. I'm just praying that they do not find any other defects or illnesses in the future. PLease Please do your research before you let the drs. poison your children. Just because there drs doesnt mean they are god, they get paid to pump you with drugs an poisons open your eyes an mind.
Heart murmurs are extremely common, especially in newborns and children. In fact the rate is about 90%., with less than 1% of those being caused by a congenital defect.

Most grow out of it and it's no big deal. I'm 36, have had one since birth and I'm fine. No one else in my family has a murmur or any congenital heart defects.

By "tongue tied" do you mean a speech delay or an physical abnormality with their tongues? Speech delays are the most common developmental delay among children.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,644 times
Default Deployd 04-07 birth defect!!!!!

My husband was deployed between04-07 i have two healthy kids from previous relationships.Then Cheyenne was born my husbands first born.... She was born without a limb, missing rite forearm, no mention from the military base doctors after a 2 an half sonogram that she was missing a limb or that it wasn't growing!!! she was born and that's wen we found out she was missing it..!!! Complete shock, sadness, confusion, disbelief, heartache, stress. Then depression manic depression. !! so much for lackland air force base hospital being one of the best around.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,450 times
im an iraqi vet, 2004-2005, and my wife and i had a child 5 yrs ago. his face is deformed with no answers from a childrens hospital. ive done searches online for US soldiers returning to have deformed children and there is very few.
if anyone has deformed children you think from being in iraq or ft hood, Tx. please email me and we can share thoughts or research. thanks.
naucole@hotmail.com (wifes email)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues