Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 04:41 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
I cannot imagine why you would think that a teenager who has an educated parent is not military material?
Because there are a lot of stupid people in the military?

Actually I also can't believe you're taking an active interest in his future or that he's respecting your opinion/involvement. After all, teens know everything! If he was a "real man" (and we all know all male teens are), he'd grab his leather jacket, jump on his Harley, drive to NYC, join up and send you a postcard from an Iraqi foxhole: "weather sucks and bullets are flying; having fun, more later."

HUA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 04:42 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Sorry mom...was not being negative on the parents being educated or questioned it.

After 5 yrs of Military service and combat experience my viewpoint will be considerably different then that of a 17 yr old still in high school although may be intellengent but still wet behind the ears.

Graduating from high school early is no big deal...I did that in 3-1/2 yrs as have others.

My reference to not being military material was inferred to a mother speaking to the recruiter on the sons behalf.

He needs to speak as a "MAN" on his own. That is what the military needs and stands for.

I do believe the $1000 factor is what is going thru his mind...later on buying some nice set of wheels to ride in and not saving towards a college education. Here in San Diego do see some young men driving late model cars ( the hair cut speaks words) and can tell they are Marines or Navy (sticker on the window).

ROTC is a good disipline factor...sounds nice...not the same as crawling on the stomach thru mud with bullets flying over your head. Have him ask some vet about the obstacle course.

If I were in his shoes...I would finish high school and take two yrs of College for a AA degree. He would be 19 or 20...a little more mature and would have a better chance for advancement be it in the ranks or via military training school. A high schooler is at the bottom of the list for anything in the military as there are many more above him in age... more educated and mature. Need I say more.

I was 19 and turned down a chance for a commission because I did not want to make the military a career. Of course that was decades ago and today things and needs are a lot different. Not every person has that chance. Education today will dictate any chance in your sons case.

I do wish him well in what ever he chooses. Steve

Old 03-13-2009, 06:11 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
My reference to not being military material was inferred to a mother speaking to the recruiter on the sons behalf.
Steve I get the impression that she isn't doing that, rather simply accompanying him and they are both asking questions. At least I hope that's how it is. And in fairness, keep in mind that the avg kid today isn't nearly as "adult" or ready to face the "real world" as kids the same age were back then. I'm not trying to put them down, it's just a reflection of our society now. We're much more sheltered and coddled now then we used to be.

Quote:
He needs to speak as a "MAN" on his own. That is what the military needs and stands for.
Actually I think the intent for the military is to MAKE him a man, not get one going in. They full well know they are mostly getting wet-behind-the-ears kids.

Quote:
I do believe the $1000 factor is what is going thru his mind
I'm sure, but I doubt that's all it is.

Quote:
ROTC is a good disipline factor...sounds nice...not the same as crawling on the stomach thru mud with bullets flying over your head. Have him ask some vet about the obstacle course.
Veteran here. Never crawled on my stomach thru mud, with or without bullets. In fact I have never had a bullet fly over my head (unless you count funerals and I think those are blanks anyway).

It's a very different military now than it was in the 40s or 50s.

Quote:
If I were in his shoes...I would finish high school and take two yrs of College for a AA degree. He would be 19 or 20...a little more mature and would have a better chance for advancement be it in the ranks or via military training school.
Absolutely agree 1000%, but it doesn't sound like he's about to consider that option.

PS: thank you for your service.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:58 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
We are finally going to sit down with the Army recruiter next week sometime and I need to know what kind of questions to ask, and what lies we will hear !

Currently our son is a Junior in HS (will be 18 in Sept) and due to graduate early - in Feb 2010 - because he has enough credits. I have a HUGE issue with this. I want my son to graduate next June with the rest of his class and experience all the fun of his Senior year - including prom. DH doesn't think it is a big deal and our son is rather neutral about it. Of course the minute he graduates, the Army will take him and as a mom, I am totally dreading this.

My son is in his 3rd year of ROTC and knows he is going in the military. I am in favor of this solid career choice, however I am scared to death and I do not want him to die a young soldier. This is very very hard for me.
Of course it is extremely difficult for a mom to see their son or daughter go in a field that may cost them their life. Who wouldn't think the same? Try to think about his viewpoint and honor his choice to serve our country so bravely and proudly.

Yes, you may think I do not know about today's military and it may be partially true but as a triple wounded Vietnam Vet with Purple Hearts who was in K Company, 75th Rangers, I can say I was proud to serve and I did return home wounded.

There is virtually nothing that can replace the comaradier I had and still have for my "brothers in arms" on my team and in my entire unit. A parent, a wife or a child cannot replace or affect the admiration and love we have for each other. Race means nothing to us and I think all guys need to learn a thing or two about a thing or serving our country in a time of need that only the military has to offer.

Enjoy the end product and the process of going into the military. Just have an open mind make sure his eyes and ears open during the recruitment process. Ask for a contract and if they are liable if it is broken or if if he doesn't score enough to go into that field.. Chances are that if the Occupation Specialy he chooses is not Infantry, Rangers or Special Forces he may find that he will be waiting in a line...If he chooses any of the above it is really a tough stepping stone to achive the end result. Rangers and SF first require him to be Airborne and if he doesn't achieve the Airborne status he may be assigned to an Occupation Speciality field he may not desire.

Wish him good luck from me and I am sure you will be proud of him no matter what he selects...

Old 03-16-2009, 08:25 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,333,333 times
Thanks to all the additional comments. At this point, our son has decided to finish his complete Senior year and not graduate early. The $1000 bonus IS a part of his decision to sign in June, however I like to think my son is a responsible young man and he has saved $1200 in the last year working a few hours a week. Of course he wants a car, but I really think he wants to have money to start his adult life more than a fancy car. As working parents, we do not have much extra money and college (or even an extra family car) is not possible right now. Our son definitely wants to go to college, but his best option for that is to join the Army and get his college education that way. As much as I would like to delay his entry and send him to a 4 year college, it is just not possible.

For the record, we went as a family to meet the recruiter. The recruiter was mainly speaking to us (parents) and giving us info however, he did ask my son direct questions and it was clear that my son needed to do more research on possible career choices.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:04 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
I cannot identify him, but my Uncle is a retired general. He was military through and through, but always said a recruiter "will tell you anything." His exact words.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:32 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Do believe that some of our instincts were correct on the mom's last post.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:16 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,764 times
I have some frustration with the recruiters I have been with. I had an Honorable discharge from the National Guard but an Re-3 because I had high blood pressure. I want to get back in but none of the recruiters seem to want to deal with the paperwork of putting a waiver in.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:11 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,027,041 times
Glad to hear he'll be finishing up and graduating with his class,
(and staying around a bit longer before he joins, Stacy.)
Best of Luck to him and to you as a family.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:54 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,333,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besitomio View Post
Glad to hear he'll be finishing up and graduating with his class,
(and staying around a bit longer before he joins, Stacy.)
Best of Luck to him and to you as a family.
Thank you
So we now have another option to consider... The Natl Guard recruiter spoke to the ROTC class the other day. In their program, my son can go to college full time (paid for by the Guard) and just serve his weekend once a month and then 2 weeks in the summer. Of course he can be called up at any time though. However, once he graduates he can continue to serve part time or he can transfer full time into the Army (or whatever) which is what he wants to do - full time military career. So, it looks like a meeting with the Natl Guard recruiter to get facts straight and make sure our son is getting what he wants. My biggest concern is that I do not want him to be stuck in the Army Natl Guard for 6-8 years part time. When what he really wants is school and full time military career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues