Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:01 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times

Advertisements

That is true, but even in black flags you have to sometimes form-up and march. Being in the dorms farthest away from the MPF processing centers and uniform issues, ect, can still lead to lots of time in the heat! Only 97 today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 08:18 AM

225 posts, read 1,092,306 times
well it's low 70's here in iowa today. it's been an unusally cool summer this year. but i'd still rather be down at basic getting it over with

Old 09-08-2009, 08:06 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
I went from USAR to active USAF back in 1983 and the "dream sheet" actually in those days had more bases and locations to choose from since the BRAC actions have closed down so many in the years since. A lot will depend on your AFSC, so don't waste time listing bases where your job does not exist. I don't recall many getting assignments they wanted be it CONUS or OS, but we did have a unique opportunity at Tech School when orders came out in that we could swap assignments. That is how I ended up going to Alaska rather than Keesler AFB in Ms which worked out well for me as I was able to extend my tours there via IPCOTs until 1992.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 7,424 times
Collin, If you haven't already left for basic training, just wanted to wish you the best of luck! It's definitely cooler now which makes a huge difference but when I was there it was the hottest months of the year July & Aug and it was rough. I'm in the Air National Guard now and drill at Lackland so I may see you marching by real soon. Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:54 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
And...I don't want to rain on your parade, but don't put too much stock in the AF dream sheets. Think about it for a while but don't dwell on the paper. Don't write down your top 3 list and start looking for apartments or telling friends and family that you are heading to one of those locations.

I am a retired (for the last 2 years) AF wife who worked as a DoD civilian for 2 years at Ramstein's MPF and saw for myself that very few people get their top choices on the dream sheet. It's a "wish list." There aren't lines and waiting lists of people who want to get stationed in Kunsan or Minot. Everyone would like to go to overseas or get stationed in a sweet location like MacDill AFB, FL. A lot of it is luck and a lot of it is maneuvering, but most of it is just a SrA having to fill slots during their work hours.

When you start getting further into your career, you can start to make "deals." My husband volunteered for a 1-year remote tour to Honduras in exchange for an assignment to Ramstein. He was also chosen to do another remote tour to Honduras a few years later which landed us at MacDill where he retired. If you have a specific skill set (a language skill for example) you may have more leverage, but for every person I met who was PCSing to a great location, there were many more dejected and p%ssed when they got nothing on their dream sheet.

Finally, keep in mind that a duty location is only as good as you make it and as good as the people you will encounter. I was shocked by how many people I met who absolutely HATED Hickam and others who didn't want to leave Ellsworth. Enjoy your assignment and the city it's in for what it DOES have to offer and not for what it doesn't. You may even get a place on your dream sheet and realize it totally stinks. Happens all the time.
When my husband graduated from flight school, they completed a "dream sheet." He listed a couple of bases in the Western U.S. and got Ft. Riley, KS. Somebody in his class that wanted Ft. Riley got one of the bases he wanted. Those dream sheets usually mean NOTHING. That being said, you might enjoy the mystery locations the Air Force has for you. We miss the moves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues