Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:37 AM

59 posts, read 377,860 times

Advertisements

Having moved no less than 8 times in 10 years....including international.

It is all in what you make of it....it is up to YOU. Milwaukee is great, went to university there. But if you stay and home and expect it to hit you in the face, everywhere will suck.

Milwaukee and the surrounding areas have more festivals during the summer than anywhere on the planet. Most of the time there is TOO much to do and the dilemma is deciding out of the zillion things to do what one SHOULD we do.

Cheeseheads rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 06:53 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,315,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherfer View Post
Milwaukee is one of the MOST boring cities I have ever visited. Hope you like eating and drinking because that's all there is to do. I just spent a weekend there, I don't know what I was thinking.
Did you spend the weekend in your hotel room? I've spent nearly seven years here, and there's still a lot here to do. But then again, I could go to a provincial town in Europe or South America and find lots to do.... If you ever find yourself back in Mke, pick up a local weekly or newspaper and browse the entertainment section and get out and find stuff to do. A little effort will go a long way.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:51 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,767,890 times
Milwaukee was definently not boring, i just got back a week or 2 ago and I really liked it! All I can say is that it is not boring at all and seems very livable to me. And the Riverwalk was really nice too. I also had EXTREMELY good italian food somewhere downtown too and WOW is it good. It easily competes with this italian food I had in San Francisco. Yum. I was full for 24 hours though, but It was really good

oh, and sorry if i made anyone mad when I created this thead. sorry if I did

Old 08-21-2007, 04:07 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,054 times
EP's first post was great. Milwaukee is a very interesting history with more history than you can shake a stick at. I also believe that the East Side of Milwaukee is probably one of the coolest neighborhoods in the US bar none. Milwaukee has awesome architecture, a helluva better lakefront than Chicago's (not a jab at Chicago ), great down-to-earth people, diversity, great nightlife, great cuisine, and a very unique charm. It is by far one of the more unique cities in the country and probably one of the most festive. Needless to say, you won't be bored.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:59 PM

232 posts, read 948,401 times
milwaukee is boring in many things point blank i wish it was like chicago

the city shuts down after 5pm

Old 09-09-2007, 05:25 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arimor View Post
milwaukee is boring in many things point blank i wish it was like chicago

the city shuts down after 5pm
Apples and oranges aren't the same either. Chicago's metro size is about 5 times that of Milwaukee, so you're going to see differences no matter what. The thing about Milwaukee and Chicago is, there is action in Milwaukee, and there is action in Chicago. There is 5x the action in Chicago, than Milwaukee. Maybe more too, Chicago is a world class city along with New York.

Like Chicago, Milwaukee has areas that shut down at 5pm. Chicago has areas like that all over the place. Ever walk the Loop at 9pm on a weeknight? How about other areas of the city? Suburbs? I lived there for five years and there are areas of the city that are asleep as soon as everyone gets home from work. Exceptions being major thoroughfares and 7-11s.

Check out the loop on a Tuesday night sometime, at 10pm. The only people left are bums living under the tracks, and people getting out of work late trying to catch a train (and avoid bums). I'd hate to live in the loop because weeknights are such a bore. Weekends too, in winter. It is a business area. But, go a little farther north and it is anything BUT dead. It all depends on where you live within the city limits (especially the suburbs).

IMO if you go almost anywhere south of Bay View in the Milwaukee area, the sidewalks start rolling up at dusk. Ditto for the North Shore... *yawn* ...

If you go to the East Side (upper or lower) there's always something going on. Bay View is starting to catch up. But wander through the North Shore at 7pm and all the good people have shut themselves indoors for the evening. I would have to agree that certain areas are absolutely shut down at 5 and you are out of place if you dare to step out of the house later on. I lived in Fox Point for a while, and that was the epitome of "dead" after everyone raced home from work. Especially where I lived next to Lake Dr, nothing happening, nowhere to go, everyone parked indoors for the evening. Nice area for those who don't mind that. If I had to do something after 9pm, I wasn't doing it anywhere within village limits. I spent so much time going south to Shorewood or the city, I moved to the East Side and found it totally the opposite.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:27 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Apples and oranges aren't the same either. Chicago's metro size is about 5 times that of Milwaukee, so you're going to see differences no matter what. The thing about Milwaukee and Chicago is, there is action in Milwaukee, and there is action in Chicago. There is 5x the action in Chicago, than Milwaukee. Maybe more too, Chicago is a world class city along with New York.

Like Chicago, Milwaukee has areas that shut down at 5pm. Chicago has areas like that all over the place. Ever walk the Loop at 9pm on a weeknight? How about other areas of the city? Suburbs? I lived there for five years and there are areas of the city that are asleep as soon as everyone gets home from work. Exceptions being major thoroughfares and 7-11s.

Check out the loop on a Tuesday night sometime, at 10pm. The only people left are bums living under the tracks, and people getting out of work late trying to catch a train (and avoid bums). I'd hate to live in the loop because weeknights are such a bore. Weekends too, in winter. It is a business area. But, go a little farther north and it is anything BUT dead. It all depends on where you live within the city limits (especially the suburbs).

IMO if you go almost anywhere south of Bay View in the Milwaukee area, the sidewalks start rolling up at dusk. Ditto for the North Shore... *yawn* ...

If you go to the East Side (upper or lower) there's always something going on. Bay View is starting to catch up. But wander through the North Shore at 7pm and all the good people have shut themselves indoors for the evening. I would have to agree that certain areas are absolutely shut down at 5 and you are out of place if you dare to step out of the house later on. I lived in Fox Point for a while, and that was the epitome of "dead" after everyone raced home from work. Especially where I lived next to Lake Dr, nothing happening, nowhere to go, everyone parked indoors for the evening. Nice area for those who don't mind that. If I had to do something after 9pm, I wasn't doing it anywhere within village limits. I spent so much time going south to Shorewood or the city, I moved to the East Side and found it totally the opposite.
This is accurate...I would also add that parts of downtown and the Third Ward are similar in activity to the East Side of Milwaukee. I too have lived in both cities.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post

i can agree with much of this but i dont think neigborhoods like that should have action. when you think of city size do you think in terms of population or the city size itself meaning land mass? i made a thread about other cities with smaller land mass and or the same amount or similar people population and rapid transportation...

overall i think milwaukee can do better, there should be skate park here

Old 09-09-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
This is accurate...I would also add that parts of downtown and the Third Ward are similar in activity to the East Side of Milwaukee. I too have lived in both cities.
i think downtown milw should have more. theres just some things about milwaukee that dont make sense at all.

which do you like better, cost of living not an option

Old 09-09-2007, 08:54 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,315,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arimor View Post
i can agree with much of this but i dont think neigborhoods like that should have action. when you think of city size do you think in terms of population or the city size itself meaning land mass? i made a thread about other cities with smaller land mass and or the same amount or similar people population and rapid transportation...

overall i think milwaukee can do better, there should be skate park here
Arimor, just because there's not a lot of foot traffic in a place, it doesn't mean there isn't a lot of stuff going on. The reality in Mke, as in most other cities in the U.S., is that people shuttle from place to place via automobile. Many times at night I've been downtown or in Bay View, the Third Ward, etc. and have seen very few people walking around, but that's because everybody's inside a building--a restaurant, a bar, a bookstore, whatever--especially during winter. When people here are done at a place, they tend to run to the car and move on to the next place; this is not really a nighttime strolling culture. But it's also not the sort of city where everyone is in bed by 9pm, either. Sure, many are, but you'll find lots of people in retail/entertainment establishments at 9pm. They just won't linger outside (unless, perhaps, a smoking ban is put into effect).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee