Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2011, 01:40 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
How is this thread not closed yet?
Why close this thread? Are you against a healthy debate or are you so racially sensitive that it gives you the chills to even think about the subject?

Old 02-26-2011, 02:25 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Why close this thread? Are you against a healthy debate or are you so racially sensitive that it gives you the chills to even think about the subject?
I have one question: What exactly are you suggesting? I ask because I hear alot of talking, but I haven't heard any solutions.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
There are two main contributors to the racial problems that plague Milwaukee (and any city for that matter with a similar representation and similar economic, career limitations).

1) Not all whites are this way but there is a fair representation in Milw of extremely narrow-minded whites who persist in the area. They are bigots pure and simple and nothing can change that short of a traumatic experience (similar to what segregationalist George Wallace experienced when he was shot). These people shun blacks in interviews, favor whites over blacks for jobs and promotions. They do what they can to block the development of black-owned businesses in the city. The prejudge, racially profile, and are content to practice "color-blind racism." It doesn't bother them that their workplace, their neighborhoods, their schools have little to no integration. They are incapable and unwilling to give any black person the slightest of consideration and even when exposed to a black person who is articulate, educated, and superior to them in every way, they clutch on to severe feelings of denial. These people are incapable of taking the high road. They can't extend consideration to even a qualified black person because doing so would be out of character. They can't open their minds and consider blacks as equals because they are incapable of doing so. In essence, given all the advantages that this society bestows on them simply because of the color of their skin, they choose to take the low road. This makes them worse than even the most ignorant of black people. They are rigid, can't be reasoned with, and contiribute mightily to the rage that some blacks feel. Mayfair may have been an example of the reaction to these type of whites by a group of young blacks whose dignity was being challenged.

2) Not all blacks are this way, but in Milw there exists a large number of ignorant black people who tend towards criminal activity, are content to remain semi-illiterate, have little means to better themselves (especially in a city which provides few options and limited rewards), and perpetuate and celebrate ignorance. I was in Milwaukee last August, even spent a great deal of time in Mayfair. Can't describe the number of blacks who I would classify as ignorant thugs. They dress like hobos and thugs, are intrusive with their wild antics and loudness. They are simply offensive. No respect for education or educated people. These people represent a tremendous BURDEN on the city and a threat to the peace and tranquility that was once places like Mayfair and Wauwatosa. It stands to reason that even those whites who are fair-minded, inclusive, and respectful would be completely turned off by this group. Many blacks who value a good life for themselves and a good education and environment for their kids flee from this bunch. They embrace hip-hop and rap, not classical music. They would rather deal in drugs and disrupt, rather than try to qualify themselves for a respectable career and contribute to the peace and tranquility that people seek where they live. Live around them and you're liable to have your car or home broken into. A friend of mine was shot on Capitol and 27th street while sitting at a stop light. He was simply coming home from work when a bullet pierced his windshield and killed him instantly. Nobody wants to live around this element and I don't blame people for moving, patrolling, or fighting damn hard to keep these savages at bay. They represent a national problem.

Given these two sides, Milwaukee has serious problems and the Mayfair incident is simply a manifestation of this. The warning is that if something is not done to either eliminate or reduce the presence of both these groups, these problems and racisl incidents will persist and solidify Milwaukee's reputation as one of the most segregated cities in this country.
I found a few holes in this. Hip hop, well, hip-hop didn't start out as a bad thing. If you know the history of hip-hop, it started out as a movement involving social consciousness. It was a response to housing projects being torn down, and the hard life of the inner city. There are still hip-hop artists who are singing about social consciousness(Mos Def), and gospel hip-hop artists(Kirk Franklin is among them). However, it is the love of money that ruined hip-hop. Li'l Wayne is given more attention than the social conscious rappers and the Christian hip-hop artists, which is rather sad. The love of money basically ruined hip-hop in many ways. It doesn't mean that a person has to embrace classical music. Just because a person doesn't embrace classical music doesn't mean that person is a bad person. I know many Black people who value and good lifestyle and don't engage in criminal behaviors who don't listen to classical music.

All of this mentioned, there is one thing I do want to add: It is the "thug" elements and the "racist" persons who seem to scream the loudest or have the most amount of power. No one seems to pay much attention to the African-American college student who is working towards something better. And there are White people who aren't racist, but might get lumped in with the White persons who are racist. What I am seeing is that the worst elements getting the most attention and the better elements get ignored.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:11 AM

280 posts, read 648,144 times
Quote:
If what you've been doing is your idea of a "healthy debate," then you really need professional help. You have not contributed a single constructive sentence to this entire conversation and none of the regulars at this forum see you as anything but a joke. Either grow up and learn how to speak to adults or just stop talking!

And I agree with Milwaukee City... mods, please delete this thread.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:52 AM

358 posts, read 451,000 times
Angorlee, what is your argument? I guess I just don't understand what the point you're trying to make is. Crime is bad?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:48 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,222 times
Lightbulb Two Things Here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogee View Post
Angorlee, what is your argument? I guess I just don't understand what the point you're trying to make is. Crime is bad?
As a non-Milwaukeean, I had posted here previously...my post may have been a little heated, mind you, but there have overall been some really great points made here in regards to the Mayfair incident...

LOL...now as to your other point, I don't think that individual has one, short of seeing how much pointless bluster and name-calling he can engage in ('politically correct *******s' 'chimp-out', etc.), trying to bait other posters here into his little reindeer game...

But I've seen those 'goods' before, and I'm not buying...it seems every time people want to engage in an intelligent discussion of an issue, even one as sensitive as race relations, or a specific racially-oriented incident, there's always one person who wants to drag out a raft of old tired stereotypes and scream 'The sky is falling! The sky is falling!' and shut down the discussion so they can rant about how the world is coming to an end...

The best thing to do in situations like that is to ignore those folks, and continue to intelligently discuss the issue at hand...pretty soon, that person will realize that their ranting, and screaming, and name-calling, and jumping about like a kagaroo with a hotfoot, is largely falling on deaf ears, and they'll go away

Old 03-04-2011, 03:15 PM

131 posts, read 209,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogee View Post
Uh, I believe his argument is something along the lines of black people are inferior/violent/dangerous and the only way to prevent stupid teenagers from acting like stupid teenagers is to keep cultures good and separate.

On the other hand, it's MY argument that garbage like that has no place in modern society, and as such, this archpig should, ahem, GTFO.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:12 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagbardCeline View Post
Uh, I believe his argument is something along the lines of black people are inferior/violent/dangerous and the only way to prevent stupid teenagers from acting like stupid teenagers is to keep cultures good and separate.

On the other hand, it's MY argument that garbage like that has no place in modern society, and as such, this archpig should, ahem, GTFO.
Of course different cultures and races should be seperate. Its when they live in close proximity that they get into each others faces with the resultant hatred. Thats why one hears more and more people chanting "Stop the hate, seperate".

Old 03-05-2011, 02:01 PM

280 posts, read 648,144 times
Quote:
Of course different cultures and races should be seperate. Its when they live in close proximity that they get into each others faces with the resultant hatred. Thats why one hears more and more people chanting "Stop the hate, seperate".
Yea... I don't think the old-timers at the Elks lodge count as "more and more people." In fact, I honestly don't know of any Milwaukeeans in my age bracket (of any race) who would give two s**ts if someone of a different race moved next door to them... maybe you should stop assuming that your childish inability to adjust to change applies across the board.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I am going to be honest. This sounds like a throwback to the 1930's, a time I don't want to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee