Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 11:13 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,455,272 times

Advertisements

I've been perusing the JS and talking to people about what the big local newsworthy issue are in MKE but I'm struggling to create a concise list of what the really big/important issues are in the Milwaukee metro. Can someone give me a list of a few things that tend to keep coming up in local watercooler talks? For example, I know that fresh water management is a big deal. Obviously you have race and segregation too. What are some of the other big issues that Milwaukee and its metro area is dealing with? Not looking to start a flame war, I'd just like to know what topics might be worth looking into since I'm an outsider! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 11:37 AM

63 posts, read 205,516 times
Some issues would be the role/imprortance (or lack thereof) of unions, racial segregation and all that it entails, controversial budget cuts to the public transit system and other such services, the city's ongoing struggle to rejuvenate itself in the face of de-industrialization, and Scott Walker and the conservative legislature (in what is traditionally a somewhat blue state).

But really, there aren't any "watercooler talks" in the state of Wisconsin. It's a lot of outspoken animosity from both sides. I thought the political climate was tense in Minnesota but it's really crazy here.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:10 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,882,016 times
Incredibly high taxes, yet can't seem to do simple things like keep the roads paved smooth. And yet by golly they'll build that trolley. For a conservative/libertarian-ish person, I don't mind mass transit too much, but that thing just sounds silly... what awful timing to try and build a fru-fru thing like that.

Last edited by northbound74; 09-24-2011 at 08:21 PM..

Old 09-27-2011, 10:07 PM

8,297 posts, read 23,170,890 times
The street car that is now looking like it will cost 50-70+ million for a two mile route. Meanwhile, roads need to be fixed, bridges are in bad shape and have you seen the bus system lately oh yeah laying of some city employes and fire fighters but yet we need this street car no matter the cost. All I am saying is just as you weigh cost benefit analysis in your own house Milwaukee County, MMSD and the city of Milwaukee does not. Oh yea forgot about MMSD spending 52,000 per to tear down houses along KK river because they want to recycle 80% of the house meanwhile they MMSD likes to dump millions of gallons of sewage in lake michigan but they want to be green on this issue. Anyone else find it weird that Barrett is eliminating requiring households to separate trash and recycling but is worried about recycling 16 houses at 52K per and spending around a million dollars when you can tear down houses for 6-10,000 per. Waste full spending, you wonder why we have money problems.

One word: Priorities!

Old 09-28-2011, 07:55 AM

358 posts, read 452,677 times
From what I understand, the money for the streetcar can't be used for roads, bridges, the existing bus system, or jobs. The money was given to us by the federal government years ago, so it's not like it's something that was just decided on a whim.

Can you provide any links on the house tear-downs and the recycling issue? I'd like to learn more about these topics.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:50 PM

8,297 posts, read 23,170,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogee View Post
From what I understand, the money for the streetcar can't be used for roads, bridges, the existing bus system, or jobs. The money was given to us by the federal government years ago, so it's not like it's something that was just decided on a whim.

Can you provide any links on the house tear-downs and the recycling issue? I'd like to learn more about these topics.
Yes it was deemed for rail however it's not like it has not been switched before. The Obama administration could change the funds to be used for buses if he or Herb Kohl or Ron Johnson wanted it to.

MMSD to pay $833,960 for deconstruction of 16 houses - JSOnline

Old 09-28-2011, 07:14 PM

711 posts, read 1,693,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Yes it was deemed for rail however it's not like it has not been switched before. The Obama administration could change the funds to be used for buses if he or Herb Kohl or Ron Johnson wanted it to.

MMSD to pay $833,960 for deconstruction of 16 houses - JSOnline
Sounds like you didn't learn anything from the hsr walker fiasco... how's that working for ya? Then you change the subject, are you a.d.d. or just scared of the facts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: