Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 10:57 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,549 times

Advertisements

EP,

Don't forget the fact that MKE supports a more respectable NFL team than the Cities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 09:26 AM

756 posts, read 1,883,099 times
Well, Milwaukee will always live in Chicago's shadow, but that doesn't mean it has an inferiority complex. Chicago is, after all, bigger, and more prominent. A city with an inferiority complex would be San Jose, more populous, yet still in San Francisco's shadow and don't see that ever changing.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:32 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,139,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
Well, Milwaukee will always live in Chicago's shadow, but that doesn't mean it has an inferiority complex. Chicago is, after all, bigger, and more prominent. A city with an inferiority complex would be San Jose, more populous, yet still in San Francisco's shadow and don't see that ever changing.
I don't know about that. My opinion is the exact opposite. The people here seem to have an inferiority complex. Being from the SF Bay Area, I would say that San Jose doesn't have an inferiority complex, yet it is in SF's shadow.

People here just aren't as proud. I've been to the pharmacy to get some allergy medicine which has psuedafed in it so they need to see my ID. The Pharmacist and Pharmacy Tech were like, "You are from California? Why would have come to Milwaukee? The weather here is terrible, you'll hate it." I was like... um... ok. I've met a few people like that, and they seem to get down on the weather and act like this isn't a great town. I just don't understand. Milwaukean's, BE PROUD OF YOUR TOWN! IT IS AWESOME! You guys have a live night life, an MLB team, an NBA team, Lake Michigan, beautiful season, you have it all!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:44 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thequon View Post
does anyone else feel Milwaukee suffers from an inferiority complex? What can and should Milwaukee do about this problem to turn around the city?
if milw had an inferior complex then milw would be jealous or suffers the complexes of inferiority.

the truth is milw has a superior complex, the city mayors etc do not want change in milw, barrett said it himself. which makes the city think its ***** dont stink

i think norquist brought the issue of urbanization yrs ago but it never took of here for some reason.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:27 AM

295 posts, read 547,157 times
Milwaukee needs to adopt the "Act as if" attitude. Act as is you are New York of Philly, act as if you are a world class city. Once you change the old way of thinking in the Milwaukee area other attitudes will go away, however to change attitudes people who are stuck in their ways need to see things change in their city to give them reason to change their way of thought. IE the change of downtown, third ward, walkers point, bayview, brewers hill, avenues west, concordia, riverwest. Once people see they have a reason to be cocky or proud they will start to change their view point.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:32 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,139,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILWCITY View Post
Milwaukee needs to adopt the "Act as if" attitude. Act as is you are New York of Philly, act as if you are a world class city. Once you change the old way of thinking in the Milwaukee area other attitudes will go away, however to change attitudes people who are stuck in their ways need to see things change in their city to give them reason to change their way of thought. IE the change of downtown, third ward, walkers point, bayview, brewers hill, avenues west, concordia, riverwest. Once people see they have a reason to be cocky or proud they will start to change their view point.
I agree. And also stop focusing on the weather. I don't see Chicago stuck on it, and we have nearly identical weather.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:40 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,716,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
I agree. And also stop focusing on the weather. I don't see Chicago stuck on it, and we have nearly identical weather.
I really abhor our weather up here for much of the year, however, I agree with this sentiment too (so I admittedly am talking out of both sides of my mouth).

But I have always pointed this fact out - Chicago's weather is no different and they don't moan and dwell in it, and heck, the Twin Cities are some of the most prominent towns around as a metro area and their weather is even worse.

People should recognize that the weather is a negative factor here, but there are many positives / good things going for it.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:04 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,305,405 times
If there is an inferiority complex maybe its due to how the city has declined these past 50 years or so. In that case every city in U.S. has an inferiority complex.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:43 AM

6 posts, read 29,371 times
Default It's all in the attitude. . .

We am from San Jose, California (though originally from rural Minnesota) and we are relocating our family and business to Milwaukee in June largely due to the positive spin a few of your residents (who apparently DON'T have inferiority complexes) put on life in Milwaukee. They spoke of their city as a great place to live and invited us to come and see for ourselves.

So there ya go. We are leaving sunny California for gritty-and-cold-Milwaukee, and bringing with us four children, a new business and some economic stimulus, buying a house etc. all because some Milwaukee folks got their heads out of their dooms-day bums and said, "Hey, our city is great!"

Try it and you might be surprised by what can happen!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:12 PM

280 posts, read 648,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
if milw had an inferior complex then milw would be jealous or suffers the complexes of inferiority.

the truth is milw has a superior complex, the city mayors etc do not want change in milw, barrett said it himself. which makes the city think its ***** dont stink

i think norquist brought the issue of urbanization yrs ago but it never took of here for some reason.
You really think the invisible mayor represents the views of all, or even most Milwaukeeans? The only thing he represents is an old boys network that has held its influence over local politics long past its relevancy on account of achieving levels of corruption that would make a 1920s Chicago ward boss blush with envy. Why do you think so many of our Aldermen end up in jail?

Believe me, there are plenty of groups in Milwaukee that want actual progressive leadership in this city, but bitterness and petty in-fighting (largely caused by the local political establishment's apathy, not-so-surprisingly) has thus far prevented them from organizing themselves into a coalition that could force some actual change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee