Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 04:26 PM

22 posts, read 48,211 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one, or does it seem silly to anybody else that many are so afraid of riding the bus that they'd rather drive? I mean, don't tens of thousands of people die each year from automobile accidents? According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 41,945 people died in automobile-related accidents in 2000. That's pretty scary and enough to turn me off from driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 06:24 PM

80 posts, read 548,262 times
Umm and talking about thugish behavior how about "Road Rage"? Yea you can get into an incident just driving along as well... Seems to me there was a time in LA you might get shot

Old 06-07-2008, 11:41 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mke91 View Post
Am I the only one, or does it seem silly to anybody else that many are so afraid of riding the bus that they'd rather drive? I mean, don't tens of thousands of people die each year from automobile accidents? According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 41,945 people died in automobile-related accidents in 2000. That's pretty scary and enough to turn me off from driving.
Awesome point! I'm not afraid of taking the bus, plus who the hell wants to put on all those extra miles on the car & use up so much gas nowadays? No thanks.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:47 AM

Well thank you, karfar. I just wanted to illustrate that safety really isn't, or at least shouldn't be, the issue that deters people from riding the bus.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:18 PM

52 posts, read 216,088 times
When I was a student at UWM I used the park-n-ride. It worked out really well for me and was way easier than trying to park on campus. When we move back I would use the transit system. When we lived in Germany we used their bus and train system all of the time. They also had extensive bike trails and I knew a lot of locals that got to and from work on the bike during good weather.
Anyway - we use it when we live someplace with a good system.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn.Sunshine View Post
Anyway - we use it when we live someplace with a good system.
Alright! So then, why don't we consider some PLANS that are actually out there. Let's begin with Tom Barrett's plan, found here:
eBulletin:* A Comprehensive Transit Strategy for Milwaukee (http://www.mkedcd.org/ebulletin/transit/ - broken link)

PLEASE say what you think about this SPECIFIC plan. I'll start by saying that I don't like his streetcar idea, but the rest seems fine.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:08 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mke91 View Post
Alright! So then, why don't we consider some PLANS that are actually out there. Let's begin with Tom Barrett's plan, found here:
eBulletin:* A Comprehensive Transit Strategy for Milwaukee (http://www.mkedcd.org/ebulletin/transit/ - broken link)

PLEASE say what you think about this SPECIFIC plan. I'll start by saying that I don't like his streetcar idea, but the rest seems fine.
street car thing is idiotic and will be outdated they should use a rail that can easily be converted to EL if needed.

something similar to what minneapolis has.... milwaukke has become the step sister city of the midwest sister cities, everyone is moving forward

Old 06-24-2008, 12:55 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
street car thing is idiotic and will be outdated they should use a rail that can easily be converted to EL if needed.

something similar to what minneapolis has.... milwaukke has become the step sister city of the midwest sister cities, everyone is moving forward
I like street cars, I think they're quaint.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:15 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times
i envy cities with subways, light rail and elevated trains esp minneapolis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee