Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Favor A Freeway Bridge Over LK Michigan to Muskegon?
Yes, I wouldn't have to go through Chicago anymore 36 53.73%
No, I'm a party pooper! 31 46.27%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 11:55 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Has anyone out there ever sailed on Lake Mich?

I don't mean 30 minutes on a waverunner in a sheltered harbor in July?

The open water in Nov., or Jan is what I mean.

We're just not understanding what approx 1200 cubic miles of water spread out over 22,400 sq miles is capable of.
Average of 4 times a week all season for 22 years. Some weeks during the best sailing times, every day. Powerboating too, but that only for 15 years, give or take.

A bridge across Lake Michigan isn't going to happen. I think the OP already stipulated "if it was possible". It's 80 miles. Such a thing doesn't exist. Not even half the size. But it's fun to think about. Even more interesting is that an eighty mile stretch of open water is a bigger obstacle than a 10,000 foot mountain range of the same geographic area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 12:06 PM

274 posts, read 709,019 times
I started a thread like this in the Chicago section.

The I-55 Bridge?

Old 02-07-2009, 01:17 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
What's wrong with the ferry that already makes this trip possible?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:56 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,711,383 times
Milwaukee City -

You seem like a great guy and all that, but gee whiz, you have indicated that you are a conservative or sorts, yet, you are always about these crazy-expensive unbelievable-tax-and-spend projects.

I know this was a hypothetical, however, even in that hypothetical, this project would cost about 3-bajillion dollars. How in the blue hell would Wisconsin (a high-spending / high-taxing state that finds itself currently in a budget shortfall) and Michigan (well, why kick a dead horse when it is down?) build such a thing? And would the reward - other than "Packers fans having an easier commute to the once-a-year Packers v. Lions at Detroit game" - outweigh the mind-boggling costs?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:45 AM

115 posts, read 795,712 times
This thread is hilarious. Thanks for the laugh at work! If this was a real proposal I'd bet a hundred bucks Gov Doyle would insist on adding bike lanes in the middle of it. Then you'd have to add giant nets to catch all the bikers getting blown off of it.

If we are going to build a bridge you can see from space, I vote on building an elevated highway that takes you through Chicago but has no exits between Great America and Joliet. This way I wouldn't have to add an extra 1-2 hours travel time on road trips when driving through.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:02 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Hey - maybe you can get the Obamatron to put some of our tax money into this project as part of his all gov't stimulus package!! He seems to think gov't can solve every other issue in life.
Was this really necessary and/or pertinent to the discussion?

Old 02-13-2009, 11:44 AM

115 posts, read 795,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Was this really necessary and/or pertinent to the discussion?
Money for this fantasy bridge is just as well spent as the money MPS will get to build more empty buildings.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:57 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Quote:
You seem like a great guy and all that, but gee whiz, you have indicated that you are a conservative or sorts, yet, you are always about these crazy-expensive unbelievable-tax-and-spend projects.

I know this was a hypothetical, however, even in that hypothetical, this project would cost about 3-bajillion dollars. How in the blue hell would Wisconsin (a high-spending / high-taxing state that finds itself currently in a budget shortfall) and Michigan (well, why kick a dead horse when it is down?) build such a thing? And would the reward - other than "Packers fans having an easier commute to the once-a-year Packers v. Lions at Detroit game" - outweigh the mind-boggling costs?
The reason I have "fun" post sometimes is because, even me can get over whelmed with our posts sometimes. So I like to have "fun" post that yes would not even come close to financial sense but like you said a hypothetical question....just having fun. Brining fun to cd in a board where our emotions get the best of us....Just enjoy life cd'ers. From now on I'll let everyone know if it is a "fun" post or not.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:31 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
The longest highway like in America is the one in New Orleans. I had a chance to ride across that long highway.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:51 AM

767 posts, read 2,065,898 times
Do you have any idea what this would cost??? Wow!! Just think what kind of toll they would have to charge just to maintain it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee