Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:44 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCity'Burbs View Post
Im not sure thats a fair statement. The county and city of Milwaukee's residents and government leaders have more influence over its progress than neighboring towns.

Iagree. I admit that I could be more proactive in defending MKE. I will put an honest effort into doing so. They should not have a free pass. But, city dwellers should think about not bashing suburbs as much either. Look at the countries in the mid-east who have been fighting for a thousand years. I know that is on a completely different level, but the point is, that both sides point the finger at eachother and nothing will ever get resolved that way.
This is an admirable stance, but lets look at the reality of the situation. For decades now the suburbs(Waukesha County in particular) have had carte blanche when it comes to degrading the city. They feel zero repercussions from their ignorant and harmful statements. Now many of us are fed up and are going to start calling them out on this. They have gotten away with this far to long. Milwaukee is the cultural, historic, financial, educational and industrial base of the entire metro area. Without Milwaukee Waukesha country and the others would be an area of small towns and farms such as Dodge country. Do you think any of these morons realize this? I don't think so. They are wrapped up in their personnel bubble and have no idea of the bigger picture. The suburbs need to do the heavy lifting on this one and realize they are part of a larger picture which together form a vibrant metro area of which Milwaukee is the hub. Why they don't understand this is beyond me.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 06-12-2010 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 04:19 PM

68 posts, read 179,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
This only applies to classes for which a "2.0 or above" policy (or similar policy) is specified. If no such policy is specified, a student may earn a D in a class and then proceed to the next. I should know; I teach for a living.

At UWM, there is also the very permissive policy of letting students repeat courses (even courses taken semesters ago) in order to boost GPA. It seems counterproductive to let students do this (shouldn't students get an acceptable grade before moving on to the next courses?), but that's the way it's done there.

Even with the filtering process you described, there are a lot of people graduating who may have a good command of their specialized major, but who have a poor general education. A student with a lot of Ds and Cs in general ed courses may wind up getting a B average later in a specialized major, but that success does not necessarily make up for the poor education in the basics.
No you can't move onto the next level class with a D sorry. I should know I attend the school.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solas View Post
You're also a soft suburban p***y who thinks Wauwatosa is a ghetto... not being a jerk, just the truth

Wow... that's quite a tale there! Was this before or after the cop asked you about the shooting?

LOL, you and every other bigot who gets called for it...

LMAO!!!! Fine, I'll call your bluff... what is the name of this whimsical school of Benetton's wet dreams that just happens to be in the heart of one of the most whitebred and prejudiced counties in all of Wisconsin?

You've clearly been bullsh***ing your way through this thread ever since you got through the shock of recognizing that there's intelligent people in Milwaukee who proudly choose to live here and wouldn't automatically co-sign with your delusional Fox 6 influenced view of the city. I'm just surprised more people haven't been calling you on it.
It was before the cop asked my about the shooting. The guy claimed that he didn't have money for gas to get him and his 6 year old son home, he pointed to a car at the gas station he claimed was his and as I looked over some guy got in the car. I said "your car is being stolen" and drove off (I didn't believe him. he first was on the corner on mlk and locust talking to the car next to me as i looked at what was going on the guy made eye contact with me and then he ran to mine. This was at 3AM.) as for the school. White Rock Elementary School. look it up. As for the shooting question from the cops. Its common.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solas View Post
Actually, I know a few people who live around there... it's not the most aesthetically pleasing part of the city, but it's safe enough for kids to play out in on the sidewalks during the day... which they do.

How familiar are you with that area, anyway? I mean, I'd hate to think you just picked a random area where black people live without knowing anything about it... especially after assuring everyone that you're definitely NOT a racist and have a racial grab-bag of close brown friends to prove it
mod cut I took this road every day for awhile because my friend is getting a degree in education and had to student teach at an elementary school nearby.

Last edited by golfgal; 06-14-2010 at 04:37 AM.. Reason: inappropriate comments

Old 06-12-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I think you're guilty of being a chronic exaggerator. I have never once been approached for change while driving my car, in the nearly 2 years since I've lived in Milwaukee. I really don't even know how that would be possible. Do your windows not roll up or something?

Another thought that enters my mind is, perhaps people like yourself attract this type of negative attention through your own actions? With the lone exception of a break-in that happened when I first moved to Denver, I have never been the victim of a crime in my entire 27 year life. The perpetrators who broke into my apartment weren't dangerous colored folks, but rather students from the Art Institute of Colorado.
i've also lived in milwaukee two years and it has happened this one time. not an exaggerator. read what i responded to solas. i opened the window a crack to hear what the guy had to say being a nice guy. he tried sticking his hand in my car after i said your car is being stolen and i drove off.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Racine County is most definitely part of the 5 county Greater Milwaukee Area.

Milwaukee-Racine-Waukesha, WI CSA - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2006-2008

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

I'm not even sure why I'm arguing this, when you're from the town of Waukesha, population >10,000 at 97% white.
i'm aware of this. and yes its true. but i think it could be up for debate as the the milwaukee metro area is. milwaukee-waukesha-west allis Statistical area combined with Racine metro statistical area. If were talking crime statistics shouldn't we be talking about the statistical area we reside? I just think Racine is to far to be a suburb. I think something like that is opinion when it comes to what were talking about.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:34 PM

last but not least. how many times to I have to stress this? I LOVE MILWAUKEE. I just think when its time to settle down why not buy a home in the suburbs where its almost a guarantee that property values are going up? (long run) real estate is a huge investment, better get right when buying property. Also whatever any of you want to beleive. the suburbs are safer. I must admit after this i did a lot of driving around. verdict? I was mostly wrong. I love wauwatosa after driving through it. but the part right next to milwaukee in my opinion is still a little shady. Thanks I learned a lot and think I Taught a lot also.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:19 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWMEastsider View Post
No you can't move onto the next level class with a D sorry. I should know I attend the school.
Well, take a look at this document on General Ed requirements:

www.uwm.edu/current_students/ger_information/

Notice that for some courses, a "C" or higher is required; also notice that no such designation is specified for other courses. This is because, unless otherwise specified, a "D" is a passing grade.

By the way, I happen to teach at UWM, and I also advise students in one of the departments. Have a nice day.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:20 PM

6 posts, read 18,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
What exactly are you referring to as the dicey eastern edge of Wauwatosa? I lived on 70th St immediately south of the rail tracks at State St (the area that is now leveled for floodplain) from 1980-1993 and even when I would go to areas bounding the "eastern" edge (60th st etc)it didn't seem ghetto. Have things changed that much since then?

I think you just had hammer meet nail. very well put!
I didn't say it was ghetto and I would never refer to it as ghetto. I've been in the ghetto. But I will stand by dicey, my friend lives around 64th and North Avenue. Having checked the Milwaukee Police Dept 2009 stats for District 3, which is adjacent, I stand by this remark. The stats show higher crime rates per 1000 people in this District than Milwaukee overall - in every category.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:21 PM

180 posts, read 663,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWMEastsider View Post
your an idiot. I took this road every day for awhile because my friend is getting a degree in education and had to student teach at an elementary school nearby.
Then you must've known it was an area where a lot of people raise kids and feel comfortable with them playing outside. So then why would you use it as an example of an unsafe neighborhood?

BTW, you do have the option of coming clean instead of just digging yourself deeper... although I'd be surprised if anyone believes anything you write at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee