Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 08:51 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,005,213 times

Advertisements

I don't know the city of Waukesha from the town of Waukesha. I didn't realize there was a difference. The Upper East side has the highest population density in the state with the area around Farwell and North exceeding 20,000 per square mile. Combine Shorewood, Riverwest and the Upper East side plus the commuting students and the population is well over 50,000 easy. Not 70,000 like Waukesha, but it has a large population and is very busy many hours of the day. With the nearby lakefront, bars, restaurants and nightlife I don't think it would be a stretch to have the population coming and going in a day to well exceed 70,000. To me Waukesha has a low crime rate and I don't believe the upper east is high crime either. Thats my view. I've been on the east side, I'm assuming, longer than you have been alive. I'm involved in the neighborhood association and I work for the city. I have a good idea whats going on.
It's obvious we see things different and where not going to agree. Your from a small town in the middle of the exburbs. I assume you look at things in a completely different light. To me Gary Ind or East St.Louis is the ghetto, not the upper east side or Wauwatosa. The city is not for everyone. I don't think Milwaukee is for you.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 05-30-2010 at 09:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 06:23 AM

104 posts, read 416,520 times
What a stupid, stupid Riverwest comment. You OBVIOUSLY know nothing of Riverwest to say something so asinine. You didn't grow up around here and are obviously not smart enough to be open to the new experience an urban area could give you. Please lock your doors and go back to Waukesha as soon as you can and let the "trash" of Riverwest go back to robbing, raping and murdering the very special, special people of Waukesha who lower themselves to come to this gritty, crime ridden city.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:31 AM

402 posts, read 977,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWMEastsider View Post
but the other night walking home a cop pulled over and goes "did you here any gunshots?"
Has ANYONE else ever had a cop stop them to ask if they heard gunshots?
I think not. Embellishing a story? I think so.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:24 AM

180 posts, read 663,445 times
Quote:

1. your first sentence is stated as if its a small town but its really the 7th largest in the state
2. you saying that a kid in the suburbs will "grow up to be a whiny little p***bags" is not any better than me calling the cities i named ghetto. we both made an opinion of something were not knowledgeable about. hypocrite much? that is Ignorant
3. don't let this ruin your day. just a little friendly debating here.
1. 7th largest in Wisconsin really isn't saying much. Especially when we're talking about a town that people only move to because of its proximity to Milwaukee.

2. It's a natural reaction to the unapologetic ignorance that is spewed here by people who have no clue about Milwaukee, yet still insist on expressing their opinions about it. When this board starts seeing 2-3 threads each week about how Waukesha is a white-bred s***hole with no culture populated by brain-dead drones who believe whatever Fox 6 tells them, THEN you can complain. Until then, just **** and smile while people sh*t on where you proudly choose to live. Us Milwaukee dwellers certainly seem to be expected to.

3. There's nothing friendly about anything you've said so far. In fact, do us all a favor and transfer to Carroll College... the city clearly is not for you.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:42 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,317,677 times
Quote:
Ha-ha geez some of you really got upset about this which I’m sorry for, I guess I’ll clear some things up right away. I’m going to attempt to defend my opinion.
1. I think the Upper East Side is safe yes but would I raise kids here? Maybe. As a UWM student I get emails every time there is a crime within 5 blocks of campus, and let me tell you I get about 4 a week and the most common are armed robbery or assault.
I get those e-mails, too. Don't forget that UWM's campus is not just at Kenwood and Maryland, it also includes the new dorms at Kenilworth and Riverview. Any time an incident takes place within several blocks of any of these sites, it is reported. So, basically, UWM's alert system covers the entire Upper East Side and part of Riverwest. That's a lot of terrain. If UWM had not expanded, we wouldn't get so many reports.

Quote:
I’m not really sure why so many of you are city lovers. My point: you’re either a city person of a suburb person, so no reason to lash out at someone’s opinion.... I again hope I don’t offend you, I just like the ‘burbs....
Some of us are both. The more you travel, the more you see the beauty in all sorts of situations. I would hate to be an either/or person.

It's fine to have an opinion, but your "Maybe I've lived a sheltered life?" subject line seems to be providing a handy excuse for your opinion--a readymade explanation for all sorts of misperceptions. So how to answer your question? Perhaps, yes, you have lived a sheltered life, though you nevertheless conclude that you prefer the suburbs.... That conclusion makes your question sound disingenuous. Do you prefer the 'burbs even though you believe you ought to prefer cities? Or do you simply dislike the city and hope that your subject-line question will deflect criticism?

Ultimately, it's your deal to prefer the 'burbs over cities. However, I hope you like the 'burbs for reasons that actually derive from suburban living, and not for reasons of contrast to the city (e.g., "I like suburban living because it's not city living."). There are many reasons to like suburbs, but those reasons are flimsy if they are not based on positive and well-considered characteristics. It is not constructive to have to tear down a place in order to like another.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:56 AM

8,290 posts, read 23,122,463 times
Waukesha is a Suburb, get used to it. Just like Joliet is a suburb of Chicago.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:05 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,692,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
Nah, I believe that a cop stopped the guy and asked the question.

It's a pretty standard excuse to check someone out and find out if their behavior is "off". Did you hear gunshots, did you see 2 weird guys breaking into cars, do you know a guy named so-and-so. It's actually a really good way to engage someone in a discussion for the purpose of analyzing that person's behavior. The question could have been many types of events that could have occurred.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:37 PM

146 posts, read 343,491 times
Quote:

Wrong; that's just the police doing their job. Does it mean gunshots were fired in the area? No. It could mean that someone heard shots and called the police; it could be that the police heard shots while on patrol and were trying to solicit some help in keeping us safe.

So yes, I have heard of it and have seen it, and it happens everyday in this city; no big deal.

Remember those veterans among us today, and everyday; I know I appreciate my freedom.

Remember; all gave some, but some gave all.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:39 PM

68 posts, read 179,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
I don't know the city of Waukesha from the town of Waukesha. I didn't realize there was a difference. The Upper East side has the highest population density in the state with the area around Farwell and North exceeding 20,000 per square mile. Combine Shorewood, Riverwest and the Upper East side plus the commuting students and the population is well over 50,000 easy. Not 70,000 like Waukesha, but it has a large population and is very busy many hours of the day. With the nearby lakefront, bars, restaurants and nightlife I don't think it would be a stretch to have the population coming and going in a day to well exceed 70,000. To me Waukesha has a low crime rate and I don't believe the upper east is high crime either. Thats my view. I've been on the east side, I'm assuming, longer than you have been alive. I'm involved in the neighborhood association and I work for the city. I have a good idea whats going on.
It's obvious we see things different and where not going to agree. Your from a small town in the middle of the exburbs. I assume you look at things in a completely different light. To me Gary Ind or East St.Louis is the ghetto, not the upper east side or Wauwatosa. The city is not for everyone. I don't think Milwaukee is for you.
where did you find these facts? i would love to see them. you think waukesha doesn't have an increase in population from commuters? not to mention uw-waukesha and carrol college, which yes are small universities but still have commuters.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:41 PM

68 posts, read 179,098 times
Quote:
i'm not embellishing a story what-so-ever it has happened twice actually. And on other occasions where there's been robberies in the area and the cops gave me a description and asked if i've seen anything. i live on kenwood btw. I'm glad others here have told you how wrong you are and that this actually does happen (cops asking people walking)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee