Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 08:10 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,005,213 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee City, sorry if I was a little strong before, you know I always respect your opinion. Back to the point. I believe you were correct when you stated that many view everything east of 124th Street as being "hood". I believe this is ingrained in them as children through the local news and their parents, neighbors etc. They subconscious think this without even realizing it. It's simple: suburb = good, wholesome, to aspire to, urban = old, liberal, to escape. This is drilled into their heads during childhood. So why should we be surprised when threads like this appear. This is the way they were raised. The evidence is clear. The safest place for a child to grow up is an urban environment(such as Tosa). I realize nobody believes me so take 2 minutes and google it. The studies are clear. I'm not making this up. But learned behavior is hard to change. Such as Tosa is ghetto. I hope over time people can take realistic looks at neighborhoods and see them for what they are and not give in to the paranoia and negative hype. Some areas deserve their bad reps and with good reason. Wauwatosa is not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 10:53 AM

402 posts, read 977,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koalamama View Post
I think you have been living a sheltered life! lived in Tosa for three years...The majority of Wauwatosa is perfectly fine. The only dicey part would be the eastern edge as many have stated, but I know lots of families that live in Tosa (and on the east side of it ) and love it. I think St Francis is fine too (having lived next to it in Bayview previously). Can't really say about the other places, but I think you might need to get out a bit more.

What exactly are you referring to as the dicey eastern edge of Wauwatosa? I lived on 70th St immediately south of the rail tracks at State St (the area that is now leveled for floodplain) from 1980-1993 and even when I would go to areas bounding the "eastern" edge (60th st etc)it didn't seem ghetto. Have things changed that much since then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Some people just think the hood is anything east of 124th St.
I think you just had hammer meet nail. very well put!

Old 05-29-2010, 11:09 AM

Like I said before, the Washington Highlands ,on the far eastern edge of Tosa, boarders Milwaukee on 60th st. For crying out loud, how much nicer can you get. Elegant mansions in a park like setting. We should all be so unfortunate to end up in a dicey neighborhood like this.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:01 PM

180 posts, read 663,445 times
I'm not surprised that someone from Waukesha would grow up so sheltered that they'd think the eastside wasn't safe, but Wauwatosa? That's not even part of Milwaukee, it's a suburb. But I guess so much as sharing a border with the city is reason enough for most Wisconsinites to look down on somewhere.

(And before anyone says "But Tosa is in Milwaukee County" think about how no one from Chicago says they're from "Cook" or Madison people don't say they're from "Dane")

Honestly, the stuff I read on this board alone is enough to let me know I'd never raise my kids in the suburbs unless I wanted them to grow up to be whiny little p***bags who are intimidated by anywhere that people outnumber the cows. Maybe that's a little harsh but I'm honestly frustrated at how ignorant people are. Yet they all come from rural/suburban towns that are frequently said to be great places to start a family... no wonder educated people leave this state.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:53 PM

204 posts, read 752,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWMEastsider
So I have been living in Milwaukee the past two years attending UWM but I grew up in Waukesha. I have read many threads on here that suggest certain areas are very nice that i would NOT consider very nice. ex. Wauwatosa, south milwaukee, cudahy, st. francis. i'm especially getting at wauwatosa here. I'd live in any of these places just fine, and after graduating probably will but the second i have kids you better believe i'm leaving because i just don't think these are areas that are good for kids. wauwatosa to me just seems so ghetto. even the east side milwaukee where i live (about 2 blocks from shorewood)i think is safe enough but the other night walking home a cop pulled over and goes "did you here any gunshots?" and this is something that i can't even fathom happening in waukesha. in my opinion if i'm raising kids i want them in the best area possible which would not be any of these areas. what does everyone else think?
This is just ludicrous to the point of being offensive.

What exactly is ghetto to you? A one-car garage? 1940s era bungalows? Tree-lined streets? Or is it just black people? I'm certain we could all find worse looking houses and dumpier looking neighborhoods in Waukesha than the east side of Tosa. (By the way, lumping Wauwatosa in with Cudahy is ridiculous. It's miles apart in location, education, income-level, and culture.)

I'd raise my kids in any of those municipalities you mentioned, Cudahy included. The one and only reason I would think twice about raising my kids there is for fear they'd get eaten by Waukesha County cannibals whose appetites are driven to insatiable levels by the ingrained bacon-y cologne that is steeped into the very fiber of all the kids in Cudahy. Damn that stench wafting over from the Patrick Cudahy factory! But thankfully, since we rarely deviate from I-94 that's not a major issue. And if and when we do go off course to patronized their Brookfieldized strip malls, gawk at their crass Delafieldian McMansions, stare in awe of the dueling hospitals of that megalopolis that is Oconomowoc, and sip from their magnanimous radium-tinted wells of Waukesha proper... I'd be sure to spray my children down first! Safety is of the utmost importance, you know.

(I'm sorry but one type of hyperbole begets the other...)

And apparently your mythical "best area possible" for raising kids is anything like where you came from, it doesn't correspond with proper punctuation, grammar, or common sense. I want no part of it.

So in a nutshell, if you truly believe what you've wrote you've lived a beyond-sheltered life. How embarrassing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solas View Post
But I guess so much as sharing a border with the city is reason enough for most Wisconsinites to look down on somewhere.
Look out Brookfield! Look out Menomonee Falls! Look out Mequon! Look out Germantown! Welcome to the inner-ring! You've officially been tainted...

Old 05-29-2010, 11:14 PM

68 posts, read 179,098 times
Ha-ha geez some of you really got upset about this which I’m sorry for, I guess I’ll clear some things up right away. I’m going to attempt to defend my opinion.
1. I think the Upper East Side is safe yes but would I raise kids here? Maybe. As a UWM student I get emails every time there is a crime within 5 blocks of campus, and let me tell you I get about 4 a week and the most common are armed robbery or assault. Also in the 2 years I’ve been here there has been over 15 shootings, which is more than Waukesha has had in my lifetime of course I’m not going to want my kids living here. I walked home from a friend’s house in Waukesha just 20 minutes ago at 11:15pm without a worry in the world, when I’m at school I have to constantly be looking over my shoulder and wondering every time I pass someone if they’re the one that’s going to rob me at gunpoint. Don’t believe me? I have e-mails to prove, the UWM police and MPD has upped the amount of officers patrolling the area because of the recent problems. Bottom line: I would let my kids walk home from a friends in Waukesha with no worry in the world, some of the places I’ve mentioned is a different story.
2. Yes Waukesha has some very sketchy and run down areas but I probably should’ve pointed out that I live in the Town of Waukesha, not the city. I live about a mile from Vernon. So I may not be used to city living as I live in basically a suburb of Waukesha, yes a suburb of Waukesha because Waukesha is the 7th biggest city in the state it’s not considered a Milwaukee suburb and was its own entity until Milwaukee and its suburbs swallowed it.
3. My first house will probably be in Cudahy which I plan on buying from my grandma, but it’s a starter home, when my family grows we’re leaving to better schools and bigger yards and friendly subdivisions.
4. Why are you so offended? Can’t I have an opinion just like you? My dad grew up in Milwaukee until he entered high school his family moved to Cudahy. My dad moved to the suburbs and to more and more rural areas with every move. He loves it. Same story goes for my mom except she ended up in Oconomowoc. I’m not really sure why so many of you are city lovers. My point: you’re either a city person of a suburb person, so no reason to lash out at someone’s opinion.
5. I again hope I don’t offend you, I just like the ‘burbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solas View Post
I'm not surprised that someone from Waukesha would grow up so sheltered that they'd think the eastside wasn't safe, but Wauwatosa? That's not even part of Milwaukee, it's a suburb. But I guess so much as sharing a border with the city is reason enough for most Wisconsinites to look down on somewhere.

(And before anyone says "But Tosa is in Milwaukee County" think about how no one from Chicago says they're from "Cook" or Madison people don't say they're from "Dane")

Honestly, the stuff I read on this board alone is enough to let me know I'd never raise my kids in the suburbs unless I wanted them to grow up to be whiny little p***bags who are intimidated by anywhere that people outnumber the cows. Maybe that's a little harsh but I'm honestly frustrated at how ignorant people are. Yet they all come from rural/suburban towns that are frequently said to be great places to start a family... no wonder educated people leave this state.
1. your first sentence is stated as if its a small town but its really the 7th largest in the state
2. you saying that a kid in the suburbs will "grow up to be a whiny little p***bags" is not any better than me calling the cities i named ghetto. we both made an opinion of something were not knowledgeable about. hypocrite much? that is Ignorant
3. don't let this ruin your day. just a little friendly debating here.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:39 AM

I've lived in the UWM area for the past 25 years and there has been no where near 15 shooting in the area total in the past 25 years. Maybe one a year and thats alot. Also, I get the same crime reports as you. There have been very few armed robberies this year. About two weeks ago there were a group that robbed 3 people. They were caught. Thats it for the past 3 months or so. So why don't you chill out on the hyperbole. I've raised 2 children on the east side and have had ZERO problems. You overblow everything. It's hard to have a friendly debate when we have to deal with complete ignorant paranoid comments. I not surprised when many on this board get irritated with threads like this.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 05-30-2010 at 10:29 AM..

Old 05-30-2010, 01:06 PM

To clarify my previous post. The UWM Neighborhood Housing web site list 3 armed robberies and assults between March 1 and May 8th. Not perfect but a far cry from 4 a week. I stand corrected from my claim of only one. This site list all the crimes. Six total armed robberies/assults total for the year as of May 8th. When taken in account the school has over 28,000 students and another 30,000 residents in the nearby neighborhoods it doesn't look to bad. Of course all crime is bad, but lets keep this in preceptive. Lets compare the city of Waukesha with the UWM area with crime and compare.

2008 total per FBI

Rapes 23 If 23 UWM students were raped in the area we would never hear the end of it. Advantage UWM
Assaults 37 Let see here. UWM reports a few in 5 months. Advantage UWM
Robberies 24 Call it a draw
Burglaries 320 Hard to call on this one, but 320 is alot. Slight advantage UWM
Theft 1050 Petty thief is huge on college campus and off campus, But again
1050 is a lot. I give it a draw.

There are the facts and take as you may. What gets me here is the 23 rapes in Waukesha. Far far more than what is found in the UWM area. Also Robberies are a close call. The point is your no safer in Waukesha.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 05-30-2010 at 01:42 PM..

Old 05-30-2010, 02:56 PM

UWMEastside - Why don't you set yourself up with the Waukesha Police Department and then you can be linked to every crime in Waukesha. Then you would see things a bit different. Just think. Every 2 weeks a violent rape, every 2 week a dangerous violent robbery(Probably armed), every 9 days a dangerous physical assault, almost every day a home or garage broken into, 3 thefts (probably retail) every day and thats what is reported. This is what UWM offers you. And in return you become very paranoid. They do it for your safety, but thats all you hear. You don't take at look at the crime blotter in Waukesha. If you did your outlook would be very different.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:30 PM

68 posts, read 179,098 times
Did you really just compare the entire city of waukesha to the UWM area? I'm not even going to bother debating with that because there is zero logic. I don't know the number but most UWM students commute to school so that argument doesn't work. Waukesha has close to 70,000 residents, are you seriously suggesting that the Upper East Side has 70k residents? All the things that go down in waukesha are in little mexico area near downtown. Plus i live in the TOWN of waukesha. Find one occurance of one of those crimes besides theft in the last year. i bet you couldn't even find an occurance of theft. And yes there have been shootings i have been told by campus police and asked if i heard gun shots before. i remember a murder last year at the eastsider. i know theres been more. i'll go through my emails in the morning...its all the riverwest trash coming in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee