Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 08:10 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times

Advertisements

4 shot in St. Paul, 2 dead; suspect in custody | StarTribune.com

Old 07-17-2010, 08:17 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Sounds like the guy went off the deep-end. The case sounds strictly domestic as they were all members of his family and were all shot in the same residence...two were reported dead and two others are in the hospital being treated for gunshot wounds.

For me private residence domestic violence cases, although tragic, don't compromise my sense of safety about an area nearly as much as murder happening in public, much like the incident the other day at the car wash in Rosemount.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:42 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
A very sad story, and I'm sure shocking for those in the neighborhood and for those who knew the victims, but the location is irrelevant; this is the sort of thing that can happen anywhere, unfortunately. This is a domestic incident, and while still absolutely tragic, is not a neighborhood or city-specific story.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Sounds like the guy went off the deep-end. The case sounds strictly domestic as they were all members of his family and were all shot in the same residence...two were reported dead and two others are in the hospital being treated for gunshot wounds.

For me private residence domestic violence cases, although tragic, don't compromise my sense of safety about an area nearly as much as murder happening in public, much like the incident the other day at the car wash in Rosemount.
So, it's ok for a guy to go off the deep end in St. Paul but not in Rosemount or the stabbing case in Rosemount that you keep posting about--same thing, domestic violence but all of the sudden we are the murder capital of the world . There is no "compromise" of safety in Rosemount. The guy that shot the kid at the car wash was a nut job that should have been in jail, and now he is. Rosemount is infinitely safer than ANY place in Minneapolis.

Neighbor kid left his bike out last night-still there this morning--not going to happen in Minneapolis.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:04 AM

The guy in Rosemount went crazy and attacked a stranger. The person in St. Paul attacked his family. MASSIVE difference, although I would agree that crazy people can go off the deep end anywhere -- city, suburb, small town, rural area, etc. I certainly don't think Rosemount is a dangerous place, but it's not immune from crime, either, and to believe otherwise is rather naive. (not saying you, Golfgal,think that necessarily, but obviously some people out there do)

Where's your statistics to back up the idea that Rosemount is safer than ANY place in Minneapolis? And "infinitely safer" no less?

People in Minneapolis leave their bikes out all the time without them being stolen. Most of my neighbors do. I wouldn't (wouldn't in Rosemount, either), but they're obviously not having troubles. My impression, based on many of your posts, is that you haven't spent much time in Minneapolis, outside of a few neighborhoods. Minneapolis is a much bigger city than Rosemount, and there's a much greater variety in types of neighborhoods. Perhaps you should check more of them out in person (or even just read the crime statistics) before making sweeping statements about the entire city as a whole.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
The guy in Rosemount went crazy and attacked a stranger. The person in St. Paul attacked his family. MASSIVE difference, although I would agree that crazy people can go off the deep end anywhere -- city, suburb, small town, rural area, etc. I certainly don't think Rosemount is a dangerous place, but it's not immune from crime, either, and to believe otherwise is rather naive. (not saying you, Golfgal,think that necessarily, but obviously some people out there do)

Where's your statistics to back up the idea that Rosemount is safer than ANY place in Minneapolis? And "infinitely safer" no less?

People in Minneapolis leave their bikes out all the time without them being stolen. Most of my neighbors do. I wouldn't (wouldn't in Rosemount, either), but they're obviously not having troubles. My impression, based on many of your posts, is that you haven't spent much time in Minneapolis, outside of a few neighborhoods. Minneapolis is a much bigger city than Rosemount, and there's a much greater variety in types of neighborhoods. Perhaps you should check more of them out in person (or even just read the crime statistics) before making sweeping statements about the entire city as a whole.
I have spent plenty of time in Minneapolis. Just look at the crime logs for both cities to see that things here are much safer. We have basically NO personal crimes and the police logs are full of "found dog" reports. I see no difference in a psychotic man killing someone in a fight then a psychotic man killing his family. The result is the same.

I understand that Minneapolis is larger than Rosemount but I think you will find that for the Suburbs as a WHOLE the amount of crime, personal crimes, assault, murders, etc. is less then what you find in Minneapolis alone, a fact that you city dwellers just don't understand. Most people around here don't even lock their doors (maybe at night but not much during the day). If your garage door is left open you can be certain that your stuff will be there in the morning. You can walk around alone late at night and have no fear of being attacked, mugged, whatever. For as much as you THINK Minneapolis is this safe place I highly doubt as a female you will walk around Minneapolis at 2 AM alone.

Honestly, I don't even see this as a "Rosemount" crime-some nut job from Burnsville shoots a NICE kid when they happen to be in Rosemount.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:27 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,707,161 times
Geeze, the twin cities are turning hood.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:27 AM

Are you looking at crime logs for the city as a whole, though, or specific neighborhoods? To look at city versus city is like comparing apples to oranges; take a smaller part of the city of size and population similar to Rosemount, though, and I think you'll find some neighborhoods are more similar than what you may realize.

I tend to be sleeping at 2 am, but I have female friends who do walk their dogs at weird hours; while I certainly wouldn't do it in every neighborhood, there are also many parts of the city where people can and do walk around at that time of the night without fear or reason to worry. If I were up and awake and had any reason to be walking at that time of night I would have no worries about doing it in the part of south Minneapolis where we're temporarily living. Many of our neighbors don't lock their doors, either, but I don't see that as something to be proud about; why tempt fate even if there's not much reason to worry?

I haven't checked the numbers, but I highly doubt that the numbers of crime as a WHOLE for the suburbs will be more than the city of Minneapolis alone; that may have been true in years past, but things are changing. There's more poverty in the suburbs now, and there's clear evidence of traditionally "urban" problems like gangs, etc., moving outwards. The idea between a monolithic city versus suburb division is outdated. Some city neighborhoods are far, far safer than some suburban neighborhoods. Just because a suburb is a suburb doesn't mean that they share much in common; do you think Rosemount has more in common with Brooklyn Center or Hilltop than with Lynnhurst in Minneapolis? I doubt it. Breaking things down along artificial city/suburb boundaries doesn't make much sense these days.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:28 AM

177 posts, read 425,531 times
I agreed with 'Uptown' post.

When it comes to their own neighborhood people tend to defend themselves greatly. We live in the neighborhood, we don't own the neighborhood. Crimes happen anywhere. No such thing to defend one is better over another. There is no such thing as 'infinitely safer', absurd.

To compare crime rate of Minneapolis vs Rosemount is like orange to apple. Rosemount is family oriented area mostly where as Minneapolis is more less of family but singles and or couples. The city of mpls is more concentrated with mix, diverse populations where as Rosemount is not, not to mention level of income or economic differences in certain area of mpls in compared to Rosemount. So to generalize the city of mpls in comparison does not hold truth. Crimes tend to happen more when all these factors combined.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:01 AM

52 posts, read 98,715 times
I think it's time for a massive exodus from the Twin cities up to Duluth. We could surely use the influx of new people up here.

Come now and excape while you can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul