Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 06:49 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,749,122 times

Advertisements

I hate those developments. Strip malls are strip malls, wherever they're located. I would hope that they would not be allowed to develop in their current form if proposed today. I don't think they're unique to Minneapolis, however. And remember that many of those locations used to be highly industrial; I'm assuming part of the reason the big-box stores were plopped there was simply because that's where they could find the land. The first Target there, for example, came in the mid-1970s (an unfortunate period for Minneapolis -- and national -- city planning) on the shuttered Moline factory site, and I assume people were just happy to have local shopping available as well as to keep the money within city limits. That's the same era when they closed Nicollet at Lake and put in that Kmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 08:02 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,228,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I hate those developments. Strip malls are strip malls, wherever they're located. I would hope that they would not be allowed to develop in their current form if proposed today. I don't think they're unique to Minneapolis, however. And remember that many of those locations used to be highly industrial; I'm assuming part of the reason the big-box stores were plopped there was simply because that's where they could find the land. The first Target there, for example, came in the mid-1970s (an unfortunate period for Minneapolis -- and national -- city planning) on the shuttered Moline factory site, and I assume people were just happy to have local shopping available as well as to keep the money within city limits. That's the same era when they closed Nicollet at Lake and put in that Kmart.
Yeah, bad time period, I know. What about the strip mall on the west side of the light rail? That strikes me as a newer one, since it seems to make incredibly lame attempts to be pedestrian friendly. But I don't know.

That's something I've been wondering about for a while.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:12 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,029,749 times
While I'm not generally a fan of strip malls in the city, I actually really don't mind the Quarry. It's really convenient for me as I live just south of there in the Como neighborhood. It's a quick 5 minute drive and the whole area feels fairly suburban to me anyway. Another nice thing about the Quarry is that if you need to get there by bus, there seems to be a decent drop-off zone that doesn't make you cross any roads or anything.

That said, I wouldn't generally promote strip-mall-style developments in the city.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:14 PM

398 posts, read 994,523 times
I suspect that many of the larcenies cited for the Longfellow neighborhood are shoplifting reports from the Target at the northeast corner of Lake and Hiawatha. 100 larcenies in three months, that's about one shoplifting report per day. Most of the crime is probably in that shopping center.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:15 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,659,346 times
Target moved out of their Broadway location years ago, partly because of the high rate of shoplifting. The building sat empty for years until Cub took it over.

I'm ambivalent about urban strip malls. They're aesthetically empty and eat up tremendous space, OTOH it's easy to park there, and brings the aura of "American Middle Class" to people in neighborhoods that have been beaten down by poverty. The Quarry is a tremendous improvement over what was there previously - an industrial junkyard. And the Lake St Target used to be an abandoned rail switchyard, didn't it?

Old 05-06-2011, 09:19 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,344,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Yeah, bad time period, I know. What about the strip mall on the west side of the light rail? That strikes me as a newer one, since it seems to make incredibly lame attempts to be pedestrian friendly. But I don't know.

That's something I've been wondering about for a while.
The Hiawatha-Lake Center actually was built back in the late 1950s-early 1960s. However, the center received a new facade about 6-8 years ago. I'm not a big fan of the design, but they really didn't have a lot to work with either. They did urbanize the layout somewhat by adding the Corridor Flats condo building, with Aldi.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:26 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,384,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Target moved out of their Broadway location years ago, partly because of the high rate of shoplifting. The building sat empty for years until Cub took it over.

I'm ambivalent about urban strip malls. They're aesthetically empty and eat up tremendous space, OTOH it's easy to park there, and brings the aura of "American Middle Class" to people in neighborhoods that have been beaten down by poverty. The Quarry is a tremendous improvement over what was there previously - an industrial junkyard. And the Lake St Target used to be an abandoned rail switchyard, didn't it?
I would agree with this. It isn't an ideal use of space over there but it could certainly be alot worse. As a nearby resident, I can't complain about living within a mile of a Cub Foods, Rainbow, Target, Radio Shack, Dollar Tree, etc. I think it fits the area alot better than the KMART that was plopped down on top of Nicollet Ave at least.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:33 AM

411 posts, read 993,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I think it fits the area alot better than the KMART that was plopped down on top of Nicollet Ave at least.
Cant wait for them to get rid of that mistake.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:11 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,228,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
The Hiawatha-Lake Center actually was built back in the late 1950s-early 1960s. However, the center received a new facade about 6-8 years ago. I'm not a big fan of the design, but they really didn't have a lot to work with either. They did urbanize the layout somewhat by adding the Corridor Flats condo building, with Aldi.
Thanks - I always wondered about that strip mall. Between the condo and the fact that there are several stores that sort of wrap around the parking lot it sort of seems like it could be a newer development. Plus the weird carnival like decorations around the buildings.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:04 AM

687 posts, read 1,256,889 times
So, what makes something a "strip mall"? I'm seriously asking. I hear lots of people putting down strip malls (here and elsewhere), but I don't quite understand what is objectionable. To me, it seems that adjoining a bunch of stores together is economical, environmentally-friendly, and walkable.

Is it the parking lots that are the issue? Is there any real difference between a strip mall and something like Dinkytown? (besides Dinkytown being bigger) Is it the perception that only chain stores are in strip malls?

Maybe a better question is, what would you like to see instead? Individual buildings? Parking behind the buildings? A parking ramp somewhere nearby? Brick facades?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul