Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:25 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,839,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I personally think there is a conspiracy at work. I always fill out the "optional" info at the end of the application about race, gender, etc. and since I'm not a black, gay, parapalegic woman who is rockin' sexy, I don't get their attention. I know, poor white guy, right? JK! But one great thing about Target IS how amazingly beautiful the women (and gay men) are there!! It's something my friends and I go out of our way to notice around lunchtime on Nicollet Mall (the women, that is)!
I'm glad I'm not the only one talking about the above and/or Target's wierd corporate culture on this forum anymore! But just a correction to the most favored Target employee- I think first and foremost young, generally good-looking, bubbly upbeat women have preference. And although the majority of their workforce seems pretty white, of their affirmative action hires, I would say that they really go for the light-skinned racially ambiguous types. The people you can't quite pinpoint exactly what race, or collection of races, they are without further lines of inquiry.

I once interviewed for a Target Corporate job. It was one of the few corporate jobs I've ever applied to, and was a good reminder of why I really don't want to work in a highly corporate setting (the strangest, most surreal interview I've ever had) . They have their own culture, their own language, their own way of relating to the rest of the world (whether business or personal)- it's downright creepy if you ask me. I once asked a friend that just started at Target corporate about this, and, after looking around nervously as if Target spies were hiding in the corners of the restaurant (granted, we were in DT Mpls), she admitted that the company and its reinforcement of culture/branding was a little crazy/unsettling at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 07:33 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,891,998 times
That could be any corporate environment though. After seeing Wells and UHG, I may NEVER work at a large corporation ever again, and am now pretty much set on working as an entrepreneur and actually (hopefully) "adding value" to society (if you work for "corporate", you know all about "adding value").

Old 05-20-2011, 01:54 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,031,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
I once asked a friend that just started at Target corporate about this, and, after looking around nervously as if Target spies were hiding in the corners of the restaurant (granted, we were in DT Mpls).
Target really does have spies, I think. I swear, every time I'd call in sick to work because they wouldn't give me hours off (to be fair, I'm a cashier, so I'm pretty replaceable), they always would find out because one of my managers would run into me or some other ratty cashier would tattle. Ah, minimum wage jobs.

It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that Target practically owns downtown Minneapolis, especially Downtown West.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:32 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,660,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I may NEVER work at a large corporation ever again, and am now pretty much set on working as an entrepreneur and actually (hopefully) "adding value" to society ...
Good, I wish you all the best on that venture. IMO, big corporations are more trouble than they're worth.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:01 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,391,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one talking about the above and/or Target's wierd corporate culture on this forum anymore! But just a correction to the most favored Target employee- I think first and foremost young, generally good-looking, bubbly upbeat women have preference. And although the majority of their workforce seems pretty white, of their affirmative action hires, I would say that they really go for the light-skinned racially ambiguous types. The people you can't quite pinpoint exactly what race, or collection of races, they are without further lines of inquiry.
Without being a part of or being in a position where I can look at the inner workings of Target's HR department, I wouldn't be able to confirm or deny this. From what I have seen and heard it seems pretty apparent that there are specific personality traits they are looking for that will fit their "Target culture." Target is pretty big on women and racial/ethnic diversity though so based on my limited knowledge I wouldn't necessarily agree with your racial assessment, and not to mention that would constitute unlawful discriminatory hiring practices. Most large corporations go way out of their way to avoid that as they don't want to deal with the legal exposure...and understandably so.

I currently go to a school that is dominated by Target corporate employees (Carlson School of Management) and I can tell you without hesitation that I have yet to meet one of them who isn't drinking the "Target Kool-Aid" so to speak. They all loooooove their Target.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:36 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,714,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Without being a part of or being in a position where I can look at the inner workings of Target's HR department, I wouldn't be able to confirm or deny this. From what I have seen and heard it seems pretty apparent that there are specific personality traits they are looking for that will fit their "Target culture." Target is pretty big on women and racial/ethnic diversity though so based on my limited knowledge I wouldn't necessarily agree with your racial assessment, and not to mention that would constitute unlawful discriminatory hiring practices. Most large corporations go way out of their way to avoid that as they don't want to deal with the legal exposure...and understandably so.

I currently go to a school that is dominated by Target corporate employees (Carlson School of Management) and I can tell you without hesitation that I have yet to meet one of them who isn't drinking the "Target Kool-Aid" so to speak. They all loooooove their Target.

I just finished my MBA at CSOM, and I can agree with the Target kool-aid comment.

I'll also second the previous comments about large companies. I've worked for a few of F100 companies in the area, and it's just not worth it IMO. The way in which people are treated in these corporate environments is just atrocious. To each their own I suppose, but personally, I'm done with them.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:52 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,758,141 times
If the OP is looking at real estate management/development positions in the Twin Cities, there are plenty of smaller, local companies around. Not sure how many are hiring, but there are definitely some interesting projects going on around town these days. I know that's not what the OP asked, but it would probably be a less jarring introduction to the private sector than jumping headfirst into Target-style corporate culture.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:39 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,891,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
If the OP is looking at real estate management/development positions in the Twin Cities, there are plenty of smaller, local companies around. Not sure how many are hiring, but there are definitely some interesting projects going on around town these days. I know that's not what the OP asked, but it would probably be a less jarring introduction to the private sector than jumping headfirst into Target-style corporate culture.
In my experience, these positions are THE hardest to break into in business. My degree was tailor-made for real estate management and development, with a degree in Business with a double major in Finance and Real Estate, as well as a minor in City & Regional Planning, yet I have STILL not ever had the opportunity to work for a developer. It's a very tough business to break into, and usually people get hired because they "know a guy" or something.

I wish better luck to the OP!

Old 05-20-2011, 02:41 PM

166 posts, read 391,828 times
urban peasant lol 21st C. Oliver Twist ........ I have interviewed with Target once and there were four of them staring at me and taking notes lol..... I wasn't sure about maintaining equally proportional eye contacts with all four.

on a side note, for a reason I can't explain, I don't like Target nor BestBuy stores.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:13 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,784,600 times
Thanks for all the comments and replies everyone. Honestly, I have never worked professionally in a private company before, having spent my entire professional career up to now in the public and nonprofit sectors, so I don't really know what corporate culture is like. I am still looking at different areas and seeing if my skills and knowledge match but the things I hear about working for big companies like Target are really interesting. I guess it all gets down to experiencing it if I get the opportunity. Thanks for the replies once again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul