Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 10:54 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times

Advertisements

I think a large swath of St Paul west of downtown and south of I-94 fits your criteria.

I love living in Minneapolis as a single person but if I had a family I would probably want to move to St Paul, it is more of a rooted community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 11:01 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychegirl View Post
I haven't explored the Twin Cities much, but liked what I've seen of Grand Ave area.
The Macalester/Groveland area of St Paul is one of the nicest places in the metro area, and there are several apartment buildings along Grand Ave. I lived on Wheeler, near St. Clair, for years, and always liked the neighborhood.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:06 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
For neighborhoods in southwest Minneapolis (will leave the other neighborhood suggestions to the others) I'd move Kingfield up high on the list, then. It's fairly diverse, safe, good food options, seems to have a lot of kids, and has duplexes within your price range.

Kingfield

Other neighborhoods on the other side of 35W could be an even better bet. Maybe Longfellow or Seward or one of the neighborhoods along the river, or over by Lake Nokomis. Or near the 48th/Chicago commercial district. 48th and Chicago - SCABA - Home
What she said!

Old 05-22-2011, 12:49 PM

64 posts, read 223,106 times
I live in the Regina neighborhood and think its quite nice.

one bit of advice I can give is to actually see and if possible walk the neighborhood a couple of seperate times and days of the week. I did this before buying my house last October. I checked it out during a weekday morning, weekday evening, Saturday night and a Sunday morning. A place can seem great on a Wednesday morning, but during the weekend it may turn in to a warzone. Maybe drive a few blocks in each direction to see how close to possible bad areas you are. Drive down a few alleys and see how things are kept up. Within great areas there are bad spots. If I go three blocks west of my house it gets a tad sketchy If I continue west its great. North of my house by more than 5 blocks is a little shady. If one were to go east or south you are in a great neighborhood.

you could also contact a Real estate agent. They may not be able to help you directly, but they could steer you to a person who could help you find a suitable place to rent based on your needs.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:36 PM

North Mpls is a good place to avoid this afternoon, unless you bring a chainsaw, and want to help cut up downed trees.

{edit} I just heard on the news that they are asking citizens to stay away from downed trees and not try to help cut them up. The danger of having a 10 ton tree roll over you is too great.

Last edited by audadvnc; 05-22-2011 at 05:00 PM..

Old 05-22-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzy View Post
one bit of advice I can give is to actually see and if possible walk the neighborhood a couple of seperate times and days of the week.
Exactly so. +1

Also note that the "one bad apple" paradigm makes or breaks a neighborhood. Last year's party house with drugs, guns and police presence may have church ladies living there this year. That's the case of the house next to mine.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:20 PM

356 posts, read 605,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychegirl View Post
I haven't explored the Twin Cities much, but liked what I've seen of Grand Ave area. My husband and I like older neighborhoods and houses. I want somewhere that is family friendly and it would be a plus if there was a lot to do close by. It would also be a plus if there were good restaurants and more local type places (rather than chains). I would like to be able to feel safe walking outside at night. It would also be nice to have parks near by, but I'm guessing that most places will have those within a close distance.
Does that help? I'm not really sure what else to say. Safety and family friendly are probably our top priorities.
The suburbs are filled mostly with chains. In fact, it is quite the quest to find non-chain style restaurants. Sure, they exist, but not in great numbers. So the suggestions for Kingsfield and chicago avenue area would probably be best.

Do you have a car?

Old 05-23-2011, 05:24 PM

19 posts, read 63,754 times
We do have a car. We aren't looking to live in the 'burbs, but wouldn't rule it out either.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:31 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Shot in Minneapolis alley, he cried for help | StarTribune.com

So although this neighborhood didn't pop up in this particular thread, it has been mentioned before. I still don't think it's THAT dangerous, but this isn't a good way to show it....

...stories like this always are hard to read!!!

Old 05-25-2011, 07:28 AM

But you better watch out for those gangs of urban street toughs!

Last edited by audadvnc; 05-25-2011 at 08:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul