Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:04 PM

7 posts, read 10,329 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are considering a house on the 3600th block of 27th ave S. We are relocating to Minneapolis from California. My husband is there now, looking at houses. The house and block is very nice, but there are some sketchy looking surrounding areas. We have checked out crime stats and noted that burglary is a problem in the Standish community (which is not that unusual, from what we have seen). We have 2 small children, so safety is our top priority. We are moving to Minneapolis from a suburb, so we will have some definite readjusting to do. We just do not want to feel uncomfortable walking around our neighborhood, or have to see shady people selling drugs or taking part in other nefarious activities.
BTW: I have been lurking on this forum for most of the year, and I've learned so much about the city from everyone on here! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 06:11 PM

927 posts, read 2,467,001 times
It's not the most desirable neighborhood, but you should be pretty safe there. I delivered pizzas late at night in that neighborhood for years and never had a problem carrying cash on me.

However, I would suggest looking more east, toward the Mississippi River or more south toward Minnehaha Falls.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:16 PM

411 posts, read 992,727 times
Depends on your level of comfort. I'd feel safe there. My guess is that it's a nice quiet neighborhood. It only starts to get sketchy if you go north several blocks or east maybe 10 blocks.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:24 PM

927 posts, read 2,467,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Depends on your level of comfort. I'd feel safe there. My guess is that it's a nice quiet neighborhood. It only starts to get sketchy if you go north several blocks or east maybe 10 blocks.
North would be worse until you hit downtown. East by 10 blocks would probably be about the same. East 19 blocks would put you at the River, which is a very nice area.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the replies! We are having a tough time finding a house we like in our price range (150k and under). We need to be in the southern part of the city, and most of the houses we initially like end up being on very busy roads, next to apartment buildings, or in not-so-great areas. We love Armatage, but all the houses in our price range there get snagged very quickly. DH has driven by the house in Standish at different time of the day and hasn't seen anything bad so far-mothers walking with kids, little old ladies-just your average nice and harmless neighbor-types

Old 10-11-2011, 08:26 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
This area is going to work fine for you. You might also look east of Hiawatha. I think it's a bit quieter. Some areas of Seward are also pretty neat. Good luck on your search.
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/abou...ghborhoods.pdf

Old 10-11-2011, 08:46 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
We live close to where you're looking. There are alot of families and kids in the Corcoran/Standish/Erickson neighborhoods and safety shouldn't be an issue. There have been some car/garage break-ins reported and there have been some issues with graffiti in the area but other than that I haven't really seen/heard of much crime in the area. It's surprisingly pretty laid back around here, which is nice. I agree with some of the other suggestions if you're not convinced on the area though. I'm glancing on the MLS right now and I see a fair amount of houses in the neighborhoods southeast of Lake Nokomis and in the Longfellow area (other side of Hiawatha Ave). Those neighborhoods are quieter than where you're currently looking.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
We live close to where you're looking. There are alot of families and kids in the Corcoran/Standish/Erickson neighborhoods and safety shouldn't be an issue. There have been some car/garage break-ins reported and there have been some issues with graffiti in the area but other than that I haven't really seen/heard of much crime in the area. It's surprisingly pretty laid back around here, which is nice. I agree with some of the other suggestions if you're not convinced on the area though. I'm glancing on the MLS right now and I see a fair amount of houses in the neighborhoods southeast of Lake Nokomis and in the Longfellow area (other side of Hiawatha Ave). Those neighborhoods are quieter than where you're currently looking.
Do you mean quieter as in not so close to the light rail, and with just less going on in general? My DH said he could hear the LRT outside the house, but not inside. The break-ins don't sound like a big issue. Burglary is another thing, certainly, but car and garage break-ins seem to happen most places. We've also been looking in the Longfellow area but have eliminated most of those houses for one reason or another. Perhaps we should take another look!

Old 10-11-2011, 11:05 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMplsRes View Post
Do you mean quieter as in not so close to the light rail, and with just less going on in general? My DH said he could hear the LRT outside the house, but not inside. The break-ins don't sound like a big issue. Burglary is another thing, certainly, but car and garage break-ins seem to happen most places. We've also been looking in the Longfellow area but have eliminated most of those houses for one reason or another. Perhaps we should take another look!
No, I guess when I say quieter I mean less traffic, less density, less people walking around talking loudly on their cell phones or arguing in the street, etc. Also, statistically those other areas have less reported crimes than Corcoran and Standish if I'm not mistaken.

Like I said earlier, I can't really talk too downly about the specific area you're looking in because we own a home nearby and we enjoy living there. It's possible we have a different mentality due to the fact that we don't have any kids nor any valuable possessions that would cause us to be overly worried about getting robbed? I don't know. Regardless, in the 3.5 years we've been here the only incidents I've heard of were in vacant properties. As long as you take precautions you should be fine.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
No, I guess when I say quieter I mean less traffic, less density, less people walking around talking loudly on their cell phones or arguing in the street, etc. Also, statistically those other areas have less reported crimes than Corcoran and Standish if I'm not mistaken.

Like I said earlier, I can't really talk too downly about the specific area you're looking in because we own a home nearby and we enjoy living there. It's possible we have a different mentality due to the fact that we don't have any kids nor any valuable possessions that would cause us to be overly worried about getting robbed? I don't know. Regardless, in the 3.5 years we've been here the only incidents I've heard of were in vacant properties. As long as you take precautions you should be fine.
Yes, I see what you mean. We don't have any valuables to protect, just our kids. It seems like crime isn't the issue there so much, but it is a ""City" type neighborhood with all the liveliness that goes along with that. I am glad to hear mostly positive things about the area, since we really do like the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul