Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 05:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Golfgal is dealing with an outdated understanding of the demographics of Edina. Her perception of the city is perhaps 10-15 years behind the current situation. While Edina will not have kids in every family of the city, as a newly developed suburb might, plenty of neighborhoods are turning over from their owners in the 70s and 80s and younger families are moving in. This is exactly what is happening in my neighborhood in southwest Minneapolis. With 18.8% of its population aged 14 and under, Edina is not at all "old" in the context of the surrounding communities of Minnetonka (18.7%), Bloomington (16.8%), and St. Louis Park (15.9%). You should know that golfgal lives in Rosemount which is not all near Edina, while west336 has more personal experience with the area you're considering.http://censtats.census.gov/cgi-bin/pct/pctProfile.pl
Oh give it a rest. Why do you feel you have to live in an area to know everything about it. We have a lot of friends in Edina, we are in the area quite often, we hear this from people all the time. Edina doesn't even rank in the top 100 MN cities with "a lot of kids" . You don't have young children so how would you know what the atmosphere is like for preschool kids?

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2012 at 07:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 06:34 AM

27 posts, read 40,719 times
Wow, this is great! To answer the question about what kind of neighborhood we like, i should say that our move to MN is short term. We will only be there 1-2years so property tax and schools are not important but we want to really experience it while we are there. Being as we have a dog and little one, sidewalks are important. I think its safe to say that we would want to be near Minneapolis but being that I have never been there, I am not sure why I feel that way. Do places like Eagan, Chaska and Eden Prairie have a suburb feel with new construction or are the more rural?

Old 03-17-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny.denver View Post
Wow, this is great! To answer the question about what kind of neighborhood we like, i should say that our move to MN is short term. We will only be there 1-2years so property tax and schools are not important but we want to really experience it while we are there. Being as we have a dog and little one, sidewalks are important. I think its safe to say that we would want to be near Minneapolis but being that I have never been there, I am not sure why I feel that way. Do places like Eagan, Chaska and Eden Prairie have a suburb feel with new construction or are the more rural?
Eagan, Chaska and Eden Prairie are more suburban. Chaska and Eagan have a lot of green areas, walking/biking paths-wider than sidewalks so great if you are pushing a stroller and walking a dog Eagan is across the river from Minneapolis so getting in and out of Minneapolis is easy but gives you more room/space for the dog and your child. It's an easy hop to Edina from Eagan as well. I guess it just depends on if you want to live in a more urban area with houses on top of each other or in a more suburban area where you get a yard, green space, parks everywhere, and more families with younger children. They are all nice areas, safe, etc.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:46 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Oh give it a rest. Why do you feel you have to live in an area to know everything about it. We have a lot of friends in Edina, we are in the area quite often, we hear this from people all the time. Edina doesn't even rank in the top 100 MN cities with "a lot of kids". You don't have young children so how would you know what the atmosphere is like for preschool kids?
okay, how about this? I DO have a preschool-age child, I live within walking distance of Edina and spend a fair amount of time there, I know parents with young children there, and I agree with Glenfield. It does, however, seem to vary by specific neighborhood.

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2012 at 07:01 AM..

Old 03-17-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny.denver View Post
It sounds like SW Minneapolis are going to be your best option, given that you want sidewalks. The more suburban areas you're mentioning don't generally have sidewalks, and yes, they do feel like new construction suburbs (although I'm not sure if that's what you are looking for, just with sidewalks, or not). The suburbs GG is talking about have walking paths, but those are very different than sidewalks -- they're nice, but it's not the same thing as having your toddler/preschooler be able to ride their tricycle in front of your house without having to worry about them getting hit by a car. You've got to GET to those walking paths, after all. Obviously personal tastes vary, but as a parent with a young kid I really love being able to sit out in our front yard hanging out with other neighborhood parents while our kids ride their bikes up and down the sidewalk and we don't have to worry about cars. Having a sidewalk i really helpful with the little kids, as it sets a definite parameter (i.e. stop at the corner and wait for an adult, if the ball goes into the street ask one of the older kids or a parent to go get it, etc.).

Personally, I'd just move to Linden Hills in MInneapolis and call it a day. I can't think of a more kid-friendly neighborhood ANYWHERE in the Twin Cities, it has sidewalks, there are a ton of kids around, you can walk your dog around Lake Harriet, and it's very close to Edina. Its location on the banks of the lake(s) will give you the ultimate Minneapolis experience -- in a GOOD way. There's an active neighborhood group, lots of opportunities to meet other parents, tons of parks, etc. I don't live in Linden Hills (although go there a lot), but I still consider it the ultimate in family-friendly locations, and very unique and Twin Cities-specific. Families absolutely love it there, and with good reason.

If you need further incentive, check out the Wild Rumpus bookstore. It has a national reputation, and (beyond the fabulous book selection) one reason it is a perennial child and parent favorite is that it is filled with animals. They have chickens, cats, lizards, ferrets, you name it.

It's true that if you rent in Linden Hills you aren't going to have an acre or half-acre yard (although the houses DO have yards), but you WILL have sidewalks, the lakes, wonderful playgrounds, parks everywhere, and your neighbors will all be out walking around, so you'll have an easier time meeting more people than if you lived out on a winding suburban road with huge lots.

Again, all personal preference, but there's nothing about, say, Eden Prairie, that would give you a Twin Cities experience. If you do prefer a new place on a winding street in a modern suburb (and can forego the sidewalks), there are plenty of those around, too.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:03 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
Oh give it a rest... You don't have young children so how would you know what the atmosphere is like for preschool kids?
What is your basis for making this statement? You don't know me. You know nothing about me, and you are flat out wrong. As a matter of fact, I do have a young child. How about you? Anyone under 10 in your household?

Last edited by Glenfield; 03-17-2012 at 09:29 AM..

Old 03-17-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
okay, how about this? I DO have a preschool-age child, I live within walking distance of Edina and spend a fair amount of time there, I know parents with young children there, and I agree with Glenfield. It does, however, seem to vary by specific neighborhood.
And like I said, she would have more of a chance of landing in a neighborhood with lots of kids in Eagan, Chaska, Eden Prairie, etc....

Old 03-17-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
And like I said, she would have more of a chance of landing in a neighborhood with lots of kids in Eagan, Chaska, Eden Prairie, etc....
yeah, but she'd have a MUCH better chance of landing in a neighborhood with both a LOT of kids AND sidewalks in an Edina-adjacent neighborhood in SW Minneapolis.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:06 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
Since the OP never said she wanted to be in an area with "lots of kids," and since no one has argued that mature suburbs like Edina have more kids than more newly developed area like Eagan, Chaska, Eden Prairie, etc., I think we can all agree that you have killed your straw man.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
yeah, but she'd have a MUCH better chance of landing in a neighborhood with both a LOT of kids AND sidewalks in an Edina-adjacent neighborhood in SW Minneapolis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Since the OP never said she wanted to be in an area with "lots of kids," and since no one has argued that mature suburbs like Edina have more kids than more newly developed area like Eagan, Chaska, Eden Prairie, etc., I think we can all agree that you have killed your straw man.
You two are really a piece of work. The OP comes here asking about Edina and OTHER PLACES TO CONSIDER, I give a VERY REASONABLE suggestion and you act like the only place to live is in Minneapolis because there are sidewalks. Well, let me clue you in, there are PLENTY of sidewalks all over the places I suggested and are a BETTER fit for a young family than Edina, period. Edina is lovely, but you get small yards, older houses, and not very many young kids. If that is what the OP wants, great, but she did ask for other suggestions and I gave her some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul