Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:22 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Well, lucky for you I don't take that way often. I'm not afraid to merge when I have to though, like on 62 when it goes to 1 lane west of 169. I zipper merge from the right lane on nearly a daily basis along with all of the cars coming onto the freeway late.....there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.
No, there IS something wrong with it. That's another clear case of cheating IMO and when people do it to me and I know they know better I make them feel VERY uncomfortable when they try to do it. You are in complete denial about this whole thing -- you think it's okay, yet you know it's not.

If there is a sign saying the right lane is ending and you choose to ignore that sign until the very end, you disobeyed a traffic sign. I mean, seriously, why do you think EVERYBODY else waits in line -- because it's fun? Because they're "stupid"? Because they're sheep? It's the right thing to do not to cut, and you know it!

Oh well, your life I guess..,...I'm just trying to talk some sense into you. Let the die fall as they may.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 09:00 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
No, there IS something wrong with it. That's another clear case of cheating IMO and when people do it to me and I know they know better I make them feel VERY uncomfortable when they try to do it. You are in complete denial about this whole thing -- you think it's okay, yet you know it's not.

If there is a sign saying the right lane is ending and you choose to ignore that sign until the very end, you disobeyed a traffic sign. I mean, seriously, why do you think EVERYBODY else waits in line -- because it's fun? Because they're "stupid"? Because they're sheep? It's the right thing to do not to cut, and you know it!

Oh well, your life I guess..,...I'm just trying to talk some sense into you. Let the die fall as they may.
I think you need to review the following link:

Zipper Merge - Minnesota Department of Transportation

Old 06-28-2012, 12:32 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,676,441 times
On 394, you should get in line. That is not a "zipper merge" situation. The lane does not end, it goes to a different freeway. To cut in right before the double line is rude, and to cut in over the double line is illegal.

On 62, where a lane actually ends and it tends to back up, they want you to use the zipper technique. Drivers do whatever they do, but MN-DOT considers it underutilized infrastructure, and would rather see drivers use it than not.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:57 AM

23 posts, read 40,297 times
I would also call the 94 W lane on 394 E "underutilized infrastructure." Be honest with yourself...there's no difference between the two situations. Using both lanes would speed up traffic, plain and simple. Do it.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:47 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I think you need to review the following link:

Zipper Merge - Minnesota Department of Transportation
I think YOU need to re-read that link. The FIRST thing it says is: "If a lane is closing due to construction". This situation is not a construction closure.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:51 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,676,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theweekend View Post
I would also call the 94 W lane on 394 E "underutilized infrastructure." Be honest with yourself...there's no difference between the two situations.

The lane to 94 west is certainly not under-utilized by the many people driving to 94 west.

When I want to go west, it's annoying (to say the least) when I have to slam on my brakes behind some eastbound cutter that nobody will let in.

You should be more honest with yourself: There is a very clear difference.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:42 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post

On 62, where a lane actually ends and it tends to back up, they want you to use the zipper technique. Drivers do whatever they do, but MN-DOT considers it underutilized infrastructure, and would rather see drivers use it than not.
Thank you. Finally somebody who knows what they're talking about.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:47 AM

Hope some of you are listening to KFAN. Common Man has a state trooper as a guest and asked him about merging in this exact 394/94 spot. He said there is absolutely nothing wrong with using the center lane, and then sliding over to the right lane at the last minute to get on 94-E.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
On 394, you should get in line. That is not a "zipper merge" situation. The lane does not end, it goes to a different freeway. To cut in right before the double line is rude, and to cut in over the double line is illegal.

Yes, it is basically a zipper merge situation if you want it to be. And it's the best way to do it. If everyone did it, there wouldn't even be a traffic problem.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:13 PM

117 posts, read 377,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post

What are you talking about dude? The correct way to merge is to zipper merge. It is completely idiotic to sit in a line when there is a another lane. That is the whole point of that lane it was not built to just sit on the sideline.

You are not disobeying a traffic sign in this example the sign is merely informative so you are aware you will need to merge as soon as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul