Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:09 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,425,172 times

Advertisements

You'd be perfectly safe getting off at Cedar-Riverside, at least during the day, although its fairly easy to get turned around over there. You'd be looking at a good 20 min to get from there over to the closest edge of East Bank, and more to get to, say, the Engineering Buildings, or to wander through Dinkytown, or anywhere like that. If you want to take public transit, I'd take the Metrodome -> 16/50 bus route RC01 described.

You might consider just grabbing a cab. I'm not sure what they cost around here, but it would be more convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 10:37 AM

643 posts, read 1,038,133 times
Take the LRT to the Metrodome and then take the 3, 16 or 50 which will drop you off on the north side of campus as mentioned above.

You can walk through Cedar-Riverside but I think it will be confusing to get to the West Bank...though you will certainly encounter many good places to eat.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:48 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I agree with above. The main problem with the Cedar-Riverside station is that it can be confusing; it's not really a "campus" stop, and the signage isn't great. But you'll be close enough, so just build in a little time and you should be fine. One way or another, I think it's an excellent idea to walk across the bridge from West Bank to East Bank (or vice-versa); when I was a student at the U I was back and forth over that bridge all the time, as undergraduate classes are usually scattered across both banks. The West Bank is also home to Wilson Library. Besides, it's a pleasant walk; it's nice to be able to see the river, and you'll have nice views of the Weisman (the Gehry-designed campus art museum).

If you go the bus route, those buses run all the time. I doubt you'd have to wait more than 5 minutes (10, tops) at the stadium station, and from there it's a very quick, direct ride over to the West Bank. Maybe get off at Cedar-Riverside on your way to campus, work your way over to the East Bank, and take the bus back on your way home? Best of both worlds. Although the weather is starting to be nicer these days, so it's not a bad time to be putting a lot of time in walking around campus and its assorted neighborhoods.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,772 times
I went to the U and the first couple of times I looked to get on the LR at Cedar Riverside I couldn't even find the stop. That stop is super confusing, its tucked away in a little corner and not easy to find. You can get off there but like others have said you're best bet is to just go to the metrodome and take the 16 bus heading East for a 3 minute ride to the Coffman stop, which is the heart of campus.

Walking from Cedar Riverside to the East Bank is easily a 25 minute walk, and if you're going on a Tour the tours last about an hour and a half and you'll walk like crazy on the tour so you'll be dead tired by the time you walk to campus, take the tour, and walk back to the light rail.

Also mentioned before, Cedar Riverside stop is OK during the day but I wouldn't necessarily take it during the evening if I was an out-of-towner. Yes, its safe if you know the area, but you don't want to take your chances if you stick out like a sore thumb out-of-towner.

Things to see on Campus
-Dinkytown area restaurants
-Walter Library on Campus Mall (amazing building)
-Coffman Union
-Various dorms and eating areas
-Falwell Hall (just redone, looks great)

Old 03-29-2013, 06:59 PM

320 posts, read 711,743 times
A question about the Go-To-Card, on the videos it shows that you can use it to pay for three people at a time so I am assuming the free transfer would also be good for the same three people?

I am thinking about pre-ordering a card and loading it with enough $$ to cover our travels. So if we took the light rail at MOA, we would swipe the card and press button for group and then the number of people. When we get off the light rail and transfer to the bus, we would have to swipe the card on the bus and the transfers would be on the card already -- correct? And the reverse would happen when we take the bus to the light rail?

Old 03-29-2013, 08:32 PM

643 posts, read 1,038,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy62 View Post
A question about the Go-To-Card, on the videos it shows that you can use it to pay for three people at a time so I am assuming the free transfer would also be good for the same three people?

I am thinking about pre-ordering a card and loading it with enough $$ to cover our travels. So if we took the light rail at MOA, we would swipe the card and press button for group and then the number of people. When we get off the light rail and transfer to the bus, we would have to swipe the card on the bus and the transfers would be on the card already -- correct? And the reverse would happen when we take the bus to the light rail?
I think you have to tell the bus driver first. I have never tried to swipe multiple people on a bus:

Go To Card Users Guide - Metro Transit

Paying for a group - YouTube

Old 04-16-2013, 03:14 AM

320 posts, read 711,743 times
OK, the weather report is calling for snow on Thursday and Friday (although it doesn't say how much) -- how much snow before the light rail and bus service close down? We are flying in on Thursday afternoon and suppose to tour the campus on Friday. Does the university close for bad weather?

Old 04-16-2013, 06:36 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I wouldn't worry about it -- I can't imagine that we'll get anywhere near enough for the University to close down. Buses keep going unless the conditions get so dangerous that they can't move -- can't remember that ever happening for snow, but think that for a bad ice storm a few years ago they stopped running for a bit. Light rail gets stopped from time to time but I think that's based on how snow conditions/rate, not on amount. If that happens, odds are that it will only be closed for a short period.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times
Light rail only shuts down when too much ice gets on the power lines, if I remember. This rarely happens because the light rail has something to clean that off itself.

Buses rarely get canceled, but they can be delayed.

I wouldn't worry about it, though. This snow should be pretty limited and I can't foresee any delay (we're hardy, us Minnesotans).

Old 04-16-2013, 11:55 AM

993 posts, read 1,767,871 times
Light rail could close down with ice like others have said. This happened last week for a few hours, but they have buses that replace the light rail. Buses won't stop running for this small amount of snow, but they may be late. Give yourself plenty of time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul