Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 12:41 PM

145 posts, read 155,232 times

Advertisements

I'm about to buy a Mazda CX-9, and am moving to Minneapolis shortly thereafter. Should I get the all wheel drive, or is front wheel drive w/ good tires good enough for the winters there? There is a small mileage and cost hit to get the all wheel drive, so wondering how necessary it is for Minneapolis winters. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 01:22 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Front wheel drive is MORE than enough. You MIGHT need AWD or 4WD maybe 1 or 2 days/year, maybe, if you have a steep driveway, maybe . It's not worth the loss of gas mileage to get AWD.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:41 PM

701 posts, read 1,708,978 times
We have one car with 4WD and one with front wheel drive. The FWD is usually fine, but I'm happy to have the all-wheel drive quite a few times during the winter. It really depends on where you live and where you go, but I'd get the 4WD if it isn't a huge price difference and it's the kind you can turn off (I wouldn't want to be all-wheel all the time). We live in Minneapolis and our one-way street isn't plowed well...or we get plowed in. I need the 4-wheel then unless I have to have a ton of time to clear the end of the driveway. So glad winter is over!

Old 06-01-2013, 02:13 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
I've sometimes thought AWD would be nice. There are rare times, after a snow and before the plows get to city streets, where AWD would save a wintertime emergency. Might save one from getting to work late. I hesitate to call them NECESSARY after 40 years of never having one, but I think they do redeem themselves. Subarus seem very popular around here. Can't think of another reason one would buy them instead of a Honda or Toyota that are better in other ways. That could be an argument for a Rav4 or CRV (Toyota and Honda). The mileage hit is not what I'd call "small", but that depends on how much one drives overall. My 4000 miles a year would make it small. But for someone living in Forest Lake or Apple Valley, that could add up.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:41 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlilly31415 View Post
I'm about to buy a Mazda CX-9, and am moving to Minneapolis shortly thereafter. Should I get the all wheel drive, or is front wheel drive w/ good tires good enough for the winters there? There is a small mileage and cost hit to get the all wheel drive, so wondering how necessary it is for Minneapolis winters. Thanks!
I have a Subaru AWD and live in Wisconsin and it does come in handy at times during the winter when road conditions are quite poor and slippery. I do a good bit of town and country driving on marginal roads so I do like the safety the vehicle provides in adverse conditions. Fuel economy is 27-30mpg, mostly highway driving, with the four cylinder. I know the CX-9 is quite a bit larger. Have you looked into the CX-5 by chance? If you do mostly urban driving in the Twin Cities I would think front wheel drive would definitely be more than adequate.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:00 PM

42 posts, read 146,078 times
FWD and a set of all seasons with good winter traction ratings will be just fine IMO.

Minneapolis is usually on the ball for the main streets, but side streets can be a different story... AWD will definitely help here.

However, if the additional money for maintenance and gas is not an issue, then I would consider the AWD. I've never met anyone that's complained they had a AWD vehicle during the winter.

The reality of the situation is that if the roads are iced over, AWD and high traction tires aren't going to really matter.

I drive about 600 miles a week in a Honda Civic with good all seasons for the last 8 years and have never gotten stuck or gone into a ditch.

Just drive smart, be patient, and watch out for other drivers.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:15 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_n_d_y View Post
FWD and a set of all seasons with good winter traction ratings will be just fine IMO.

Minneapolis is usually on the ball for the main streets, but side streets can be a different story... AWD will definitely help here.

However, if the additional money for maintenance and gas is not an issue, then I would consider the AWD. I've never met anyone that's complained they had a AWD vehicle during the winter.

The reality of the situation is that if the roads are iced over, AWD and high traction tires aren't going to really matter.

I drive about 600 miles a week in a Honda Civic with good all seasons for the last 8 years and have never gotten stuck or gone into a ditch.

Just drive smart, be patient, and watch out for other drivers.
On November 1, 1991, I sure wish I had 4 wheeled drive. My FWD was totally inadequate on that day. Actually lost a temp job due to driving conditions. Again, you can "skate by" (literally) with FWD or even RWD, but I'd definitely consider 4WD, esp if its a hybrid model.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:48 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,800,032 times
I have a Front Wheel Drive from Florida. While there is no doubt my next vehicle will be at least 4WD, I think I would prefer AWD. I hear such positive things from those with AWD about how much better it makes winter driving, than unless it was significantly cost prohibitive, that would be my choice.
That being said - it's year four of Front Wheel Drive only and we have been fine.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:07 PM

145 posts, read 155,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I know the CX-9 is quite a bit larger. Have you looked into the CX-5 by chance? If you do mostly urban driving in the Twin Cities I would think front wheel drive would definitely be more than adequate.
Yes, the CX-5 is too small for our needs, though. We looked at a lot of cars, and for a number of reasons we're set on the CX-9, just trying to decide if the AWD is worth it, since it is an option.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:23 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlilly31415 View Post
Yes, the CX-5 is too small for our needs, though. We looked at a lot of cars, and for a number of reasons we're set on the CX-9, just trying to decide if the AWD is worth it, since it is an option.
If the vast majority of driving is in the cities I would just get the FWD version and invest in a good set of winter tires. A good set of winter tires can make a big difference considering most modern vehicles come with a plethora of standard safety features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul