Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best thing about Minneapolis?
Weather 3 15.79%
People 3 15.79%
condition of the city 5 26.32%
transportation 0 0%
Overall things to do 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 02:56 PM

15 posts, read 51,619 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am considering moving to the Twin Cities to attend college, and would like someone to give me information about the cites. Where are the nice areas to live? Is the crime high? Is it easy to find a job? And most importantly can I live in Minneapolis on 1000 dollars a month? Thanks.

Daniel True
[email]TrueDaniel_G@hotmail.com[/email]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 09:03 PM

19 posts, read 98,616 times
I can not comment on crime as compared to other cities but I live on the more northern part of the north side and the worse areas seem to be immediately north or south of downtown. I think living here can be done on 1000 if you can find a very small appartment and also because you can bicycle or bus almost anywhere in the city so you could very well go carless.

Old 10-13-2006, 10:16 PM

66 posts, read 489,283 times
What college????

It would determine alot!

Happy to answer!

Old 10-13-2006, 10:16 PM

213 posts, read 1,087,595 times
Which college will you be attending? If it's UMN, there are lots of apartments in and around Dinkytown that are affordable--so yes, $1000 per month is doable.

Even though you can get around the city carless, you wouldn't want to be too far from whatever college you'll attend, I don't think. It's just easier/more convenient to be able to walk.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:48 PM

Default Reply

Hi, I am going to be attending a two year college first. Not sure which one. Then I want to transfer to a four year. Hopefully University of Minnesota Twin Cities. I have a situation at home, and I have to go out on my own. I am not sure where to begin. I will only be 18 when I plan to move in June. If anyone could give me just any info at all, I will be very greatful. thanks again .

Daniel True

Old 10-14-2006, 02:27 PM

19 posts, read 98,616 times
Maybe you would be better off deciding what school to go to after you get here. A job as a server can pay well here and there are many such jobs in the uptown area. Many young people have roomates in uptown and will room with others who will live up to their responsabilties like rent and being nice. It is sort of the "artsy" section of the city. After living the uptown lifestyle for too long they lose their ambition for college though. If you move in june I would start saving some money now. Then you could rent out a room first until you find a friend who wants another person too share expenses for a bigger or better place

Old 10-15-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_true View Post
Hi, I am going to be attending a two year college first. Not sure which one. Then I want to transfer to a four year. Hopefully University of Minnesota Twin Cities. I have a situation at home, and I have to go out on my own. I am not sure where to begin. I will only be 18 when I plan to move in June. If anyone could give me just any info at all, I will be very greatful. thanks again .

Daniel True
TrueDaniel_G@hotmail.com
It will save you money to live near the 2-year college you want to attend. Normandale Community College is on the south side of the city, Anoka-Ramsey CC and North Hennepin CC are both on the north side.

I don't think you'd have trouble finding an apt. in any of those areas, though I think housing is spendier by Normandale than the other two.

I would strongly encourage you to contact all three of those community colleges and get information. They will send you info for free. Then I would urge you to call, email, or meet with an admissions counselor. They will be able to give you info about housing. You should be able to find affordable "student" housing (apartments, rental homes) near the college--and often there are (as the last person said) people looking for a roommate to share expenses with.

When you apply to whichever college you decide to attend, please talk to a financial aid counselor too. There are a lot of scholarships/grants available (free money) especially to people who are first generation college students, people in need, and people with high academic standing (good grades).

The uptown area (that the last person mentioned) is very nice but can be quite spendy (and trendy). For a young person just starting out, I'd recommend something less expensive and closer to the college you will be attending.

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2006, 07:55 PM

Hey--I forgot to ask if you have an idea of what you want to major in. That could help you decide which CC to attend. They each have their strengths!

Old 10-16-2006, 08:11 AM

Default Reply

Thanks for all of your information. It helps. I want to go into journalism. I have always wanted to do that. I am already starting to save money. I have about 1000 dollars so far. I am going to save more though. Does anyone know of any hostels or anything? I think I will need a place to stay while looking for an apartment. Also, does anyone know anything about jobs at the public library? What is the minimum age to work, and how much does a shelver make? I do that here in Arizona, and a lot of places require you to be over 18, or have a high school diploma or GED. The only thing I am really worried about is the weather. I used to live in Alaska. Almost 14 years. Now being in Arizona for 3, I can't handle the cold real well. It was 49 this morning and I felt like I was going to die. I think though, after being in the weather there for awhile, I can adapt. Also, one more question. Is Minneapolis North different than North Minneapolis? I have seen the two referenced, and don't know if they are the same or not. If you can get back to me, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Daniel True

Last edited by daniel_true; 10-16-2006 at 08:58 AM..

Old 10-16-2006, 09:37 AM

Here in MN, you can work in the public library at age 16. Shelvers without experience make minimum wage. Shelvers with experience make more. You might want to consider applying at Barnes and Noble or Borders Books. With your experience, you'd probably get hired there and I think you'd make more money. Plus the hours are more flexible (b/c they are open later)--I mean, you'd be able to work around your class schedule and still get enough hours in to pay your bills. I'm sure you would be able to get a job in either a public library or in the library at whichever college you attend if that appeals to you more.

Have you considered going right to a 4-year university (by-passing community college)? With your experience in a library, I'll bet you could get a work-study position in the university library, which would pay a good chunk of your education. Plus you could live in the dorms, which would solve your problem about finding an apartment, fixing meals, and all that stuff. I'm not sure you'd be saving much money by attending a CC if you have to live in an apartment. You'll have groceries to buy, meals to prepare, laundry to do, utilities (gas and electric) to pay. That all adds up. Plus it's harder to meet people if you're new in town and living on your own, and you'll want/need a support system of friends.

I don't know of hostels in Mpls--does anyone else? I know that at many universities, there are families that host students (especially international students) at the holidays or even on the weekends. They provide a home away from home (for students who live too far away to bop back home for a home-cooked meal). Also, I'd highly recommend you get involved in a religious organization of your choice once you are here--you might find a host family that way.

Is there any particular reason you want to move to Mpls? There are a lot of other good universities and colleges (public and private) throughout the state. The private ones may look spendy at first, but with financial aid packages they generally average out to be okay. Plus, you're more likely to find a host family through a private university.

Okay, assuming you want to continue on your route to a 4-year university via a community college, Normandale CC has a program in journalism. Google Normandale Community College and then search journalism at their site. You might even be able to get an entry level job in journalism after completing a 2-year program there--especially if you complete an internship or work on the school newspaper or something like that.

Most of the CCs in MN have a more technical type focus: broadcasting, desktop publishing, graphic design, that sort of thing. I don't think North Hennepin or Anoka-Ramsey have journalism programs. Neither does Dunwoody or Brown Institute. (They're both more technical.) At 4-year inivs, Journalism is usually housed with the depts of either Mass Communications or English. I know in some states, a degree from a CC will buy you the general (or CORE) courses--but I will bet you that most universities in MN will require you to take some of the gen eds at their institution anyway. Our system is supposed to be compatible (from CC to university), but oftentimes the university will require 2 writing courses (or equivalent to one full year), whereas the CC will require only one semester. That means you'd still have one more writing class (one more semester) to take once you go to the university. Trust me on this.

As for the weather:
If you lived in Alaska for 13 years, you'll get used to the weather in MN. Your 49 degrees in AZ happened abruptly so it probably shocked your system! Personally, I like the weather in MN though most folks here complain about it. (I think it gives them something to talk about.) Yes, it gets cold. But the snow is fun, and the best way to adjust to it is to get outside and play in it!

That brings up another issue about housing though. If you get an apartment, be sure the heat is included with the rent or it can get costly. (Wouldn't have to worry about that in a dorm.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul