Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 01:31 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genise1953 View Post
Come now...let's be honest.

Here you are, an African immigrant, from humble means, trying to realize the "American Dream", with barely a clue on how to attain it...and getting snookered in the process.

On the other hand...experience is the best teacher...or so it's said.
"Texan" definition of snookered: to pay market value for goods or services but retain the right to beotch and moan about it later when the mood fits.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:51 PM

16 posts, read 18,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBlue View Post
Just out of curiosity, have you researched what comparable homes in other parts of the Twin Cities go for?

I highly doubt discrimination was a factor here. For one thing, you'd have to show that other people in this market were paying less money for very similar homes. What people pay in Texas is irrelevant.
lol...you do realize I am only relating my guy friends' stories, don't you?

What I learned...

A $100,000+ house in Texas is a bargain...all around...compared to some other states.

You get more for your money!

Old 07-26-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVegas View Post
Markets vary wildly by state. I know someone who recently sold a home in the heart of Silicon Valley, CA for nearly $1.5M - A nondescript 4 +2 ranch (rambler), not a custom executive home in a gated community - just a regular neighborhood in a desirable school district.
Oh my!

Shades of my elderly cousin in California!

Old 07-26-2013, 02:03 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,716,900 times
Quote:
You are more than correct!

For $100,000, you can get a badass house in a good neighborhood in Texas...compared to the average house in Brooklyn Park...especially in the 55443 zip code.

IMO...for $100,000, I had better see a brick house...not a wood frame house...which is par for Brooklyn Park.
Brick houses are wood framed. The brick is merely the exterior finishing material.

I am afraid that you do not know much about houses or real estate.

Obviously, as I tried to show you with the link I provided, housing prices vary greatly across the nation. I know you don't understand this, but let me try to list some of the reasons why this may be:

Land costs
Labor costs in construction
Differences in building codes
Availability of land to build on
Supply overhang from foreclosures
Cost and availability of rental properties
Differences in average incomes
Desirability of one area vs. another to most people
Availability of employment
Size of the community ( generally homes in large metro areas are more expensive then rural areas)
Quality of schools

These are a few that come to me right off the top of my head. So it is absolutely useless to compare two houses that are thousands of miles apart based on price alone and determine which is the better value. And to then complain that someone may be discriminated against simply because the house they bought cost more than one that was superficially comparable but located thousands of miles away, well I find that offensive. If your friends wanted a cheap house they should have stayed in Texas.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
"Texan" definition of snookered: to pay market value for goods or services but retain the right to beotch and moan about it later when the mood fits.
snookered - to trick, entice, or trap: "they were snookered into buying too high".

Perception is everything!

Old 07-26-2013, 02:10 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
snookered - to trick, entice, or trap: "they were snookered into buying too high".

Perception is everything!
What else were they going to buy--that is about as low of a price as you will get anywhere in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area--sorry you can't seem to grasp this. No one was snookered, cheated or discriminated against. They bought a cheep home in an expensive marketplace, end of story.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Brick houses are wood framed. The brick is merely the exterior finishing material.

I am afraid that you do not know much about houses or real estate.

Obviously, as I tried to show you with the link I provided, housing prices vary greatly across the nation. I know you don't understand this, but let me try to list some of the reasons why this may be:

Land costs
Labor costs in construction
Differences in building codes
Availability of land to build on
Supply overhang from foreclosures
Cost and availability of rental properties
Differences in average incomes
Desirability of one area vs. another to most people
Availability of employment
Size of the community ( generally homes in large metro areas are more expensive then rural areas)
Quality of schools

These are a few that come to me right off the top of my head. So it is absolutely useless to compare two houses that are thousands of miles apart based on price alone and determine which is the better value. And to then complain that someone may be discriminated against simply because the house they bought cost more than one that was superficially comparable but located thousands of miles away, well I find that offensive. If your friends wanted a cheap house they should have stayed in Texas.
$100,000 is a lot to pay for a house.

What would you expect?

Be honest!

Old 07-26-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
What else were they going to buy--that is about as low of a price as you will get anywhere in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area--sorry you can't seem to grasp this. No one was snookered, cheated or discriminated against. They bought a cheep home in an expensive marketplace, end of story.
So...a $100,000 house in Brooklyn Park, MN is cheap comparred to a $100,000 house in Texas.

Gotcha!

I have been educated!

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2013, 02:43 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
So...a $100,000 house in Brooklyn Park, MN is cheap comparred to a $100,000 house in Texas.

Gotcha!

I have been educated!

Thanks!
No, a $100,000 in Brooklyn Park is a dump compared to a $100,000 house in Texas. If they wanted a comparable house they would have had to spend about $300,000 here...that is the education you need and that you can't seem to grasp.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:47 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,716,900 times
Quote:
$100,000 is a lot to pay for a house.

What would you expect?

Be honest!
Let me be honest with you. In this area, $100,000 is NOT a lot to pay for a house. It may be a lot in Texas or wherever, but here it's not. What seems to be the obstacle to your grasping the concept of relative value?

Let me try to explain it this way.

In some third world countries a wage of five dollars a day would be considered a lot of money. Do you think that would be a lot of money in Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul