Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:49 PM

127 posts, read 214,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Could have been the evolution of taxes. Over in the west metro, lots of cities have higher sales taxes, partly due to actions of the Hennepin County board. The Ramsey County board did not emulate Hennepin County. So it could be the tax differential was smaller at the start, but as it grew, more people started looking east as a place to escape countywide tax decisions made in Hennepin.
Really? Why then does Hennepin county have 1.18 million residents and ramsey county 508k?

In addition, the median income in Hennepin county is significantly higher than ramsey county and Hennepin county has many more wealthy communities.

I just don't buy your thesis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 05:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain of Lakes View Post
Really? Why then does Hennepin county have 1.18 million residents and ramsey county 508k?

In addition, the median income in Hennepin county is significantly higher than ramsey county and Hennepin county has many more wealthy communities.

In 1950 ?

Old 02-21-2014, 08:52 AM

152 posts, read 290,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain of Lakes View Post

Lets remember Hennepin is much larger than Ramsey, 606 total sq miles (556 of it land). Ramsey is only 170 miles (155 land).

It's worth pointing out Ramsey is much more denser than Hennepin, 3,280 vs 2,050 people per sq mile. I think Ramsey is also the densest in all of Minnesota.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
In 1950 ?
I was specifically responding to one person's thesis that people moved to the east metro.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:26 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times
Quote:
Could have been the evolution of taxes. Over in the west metro, lots of cities have higher sales taxes, partly due to actions of the Hennepin County board. The Ramsey County board did not emulate Hennepin County. So it could be the tax differential was smaller at the start, but as it grew, more people started looking east as a place to escape countywide tax decisions made in Hennepin.
This seems pretty unlikely, given that the Twins Tax was about 50-some years away.

But honestly, have we ever seen a mass exodus to new city because one levied a slightly higher sales tax? I mean really, you would sell your house because of a fractional difference in the tax you pay? Anyone bothered by it could probably save the hassle of selling their house and buying a new one by simply shopping in the next city over.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:24 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
This seems pretty unlikely, given that the Twins Tax was about 50-some years away.

But honestly, have we ever seen a mass exodus to new city because one levied a slightly higher sales tax? I mean really, you would sell your house because of a fractional difference in the tax you pay? Anyone bothered by it could probably save the hassle of selling their house and buying a new one by simply shopping in the next city over.
Good points, if undiplomatically stated. But take it in a more complicated context. Crime goes up. Families require bigger houses. Many many factors encourage moving away from urban center. THEN comes the factor of people looking at different communities in all their complexity. Where are the good schools? Where are the affordable houses? Where are property taxes and sales taxes more favorable. It all feeds into a long process of pushing decisions one direction or the other. I won't go with a single-factorial explanation. But in a multi-factorial situation, I think taxes could matter. And again, there was a sequence of development. In that sequence, I'm pretty sure south and west were where Hennepin County residents moved first. Over time, the focus of developers began to fall on other directions like east and north. In this scenario, it makes sense to me that Minneapolis would lose residents more and earlier.

And, personal bias, St Paul is just a cooler town. Had classic Irish bars long before the fad caught on in Minneapolis.

I moved into town first when the Plymouth Avenue riots happened. Did St Paul EVER have a race riot.. Even when Rondo was being gutted to build a freeway? I was here, but frankly I don't remember any mass race action in St. Paul.

Last edited by Beenhere4ever; 02-22-2014 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: Added question

Old 02-22-2014, 05:53 PM

Hold on. In your previous post you suggested that taxes in Hennepin county communities initiated movement to the east side of the twin cities. However, I see zero evidence of this.

You have now changed the subject and are now referencing a 1960s race riot and irish bars.

This is confusing and I don't understand your point.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Good points, if undiplomatically stated. But take it in a more complicated context. Crime goes up. Families require bigger houses. Many many factors encourage moving away from urban center. THEN comes the factor of people looking at different communities in all their complexity. Where are the good schools? Where are the affordable houses? Where are property taxes and sales taxes more favorable. It all feeds into a long process of pushing decisions one direction or the other. I won't go with a single-factorial explanation. But in a multi-factorial situation, I think taxes could matter. And again, there was a sequence of development. In that sequence, I'm pretty sure south and west were where Hennepin County residents moved first. Over time, the focus of developers began to fall on other directions like east and north. In this scenario, it makes sense to me that Minneapolis would lose residents more and earlier.

And, personal bias, St Paul is just a cooler town. Had classic Irish bars long before the fad caught on in Minneapolis.

I moved into town first when the Plymouth Avenue riots happened. Did St Paul EVER have a race riot.. Even when Rondo was being gutted to build a freeway? I was here, but frankly I don't remember any mass race action in St. Paul.
I have no doubt that if you're comparing a variety of factors, the taxes could indeed come into effect. That said, I'm suspicious that it would be high on anyone's list. With food and clothing tax free, that's a significant savings that applies across the state. And I'd think things like property taxes come much more into play. I'm guessing someone in Minneapolis who mostly shops in Minneapolis is paying marginally more than someone in say, the Ramsey County suburbs, in sales tax.

I like Saint Paul, but are Irish bars really a fad? Certainly not with the younger crowd. They exist, of course, but I don't know anyone who specifically wants to go to them. I'd rather have a beer at Republic than some Irish bar, no matter the city!

Old 02-23-2014, 06:01 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
I have no doubt that if you're comparing a variety of factors, the taxes could indeed come into effect. That said, I'm suspicious that it would be high on anyone's list. With food and clothing tax free, that's a significant savings that applies across the state. And I'd think things like property taxes come much more into play. I'm guessing someone in Minneapolis who mostly shops in Minneapolis is paying marginally more than someone in say, the Ramsey County suburbs, in sales tax.

I like Saint Paul, but are Irish bars really a fad? Certainly not with the younger crowd. They exist, of course, but I don't know anyone who specifically wants to go to them. I'd rather have a beer at Republic than some Irish bar, no matter the city!
You're mistaken when you say "food and clothing tax free". I've run into many, many purchases of food that I was surprised to find were taxed. Dried banana slices. Orange juice. Didn't keep a list, but it educated me on the fact that the tax-free status of food is dotted with exceptions. Meanwhile I could buy a $300 pair of sneakers and not pay any tax. Crazy decisions made at state level. Beer could be called a "food" but the tax in Minneapolis is ridiculous. Sin tax, I guess. Nobody needs to drink beer. Especially if the city wants some project and can make drinkers pay for it. And I suppose that goes with no Sunday liquor sales. That's a funny one. We want to pick drinkers' pockets, but even that we won't do on Sunday in stores.
http://minneapolis.about.com/od/shop...issalestax.htm

Last edited by Beenhere4ever; 02-23-2014 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: add link

Old 02-23-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
You're mistaken when you say "food and clothing tax free". I've run into many, many purchases of food that I was surprised to find were taxed. Dried banana slices. Orange juice. Didn't keep a list, but it educated me on the fact that the tax-free status of food is dotted with exceptions. Meanwhile I could buy a $300 pair of sneakers and not pay any tax. Crazy decisions made at state level. Beer could be called a "food" but the tax in Minneapolis is ridiculous. Sin tax, I guess. Nobody needs to drink beer. Especially if the city wants some project and can make drinkers pay for it. And I suppose that goes with no Sunday liquor sales. That's a funny one. We want to pick drinkers' pockets, but even that we won't do on Sunday in stores.
Sales Tax in Minneapolis
You've brought this tax point up before, but this seems to be an issue more with the retailer. There are so strange food exceptions, mostly around candy and any ready-to-eat food, but I can't recall ever being taxed on orange juice (exception again maybe going to a snack-sized drink at convenience store).

But even with the handful of items that occasionally seem to get taxed, saving approximately 8 percent on most food and clothing items is a savings and does insulate families who live in higher-tax areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul