Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 02:16 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,652,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
How bout it?

My wife and I are coming back in a few months and didn't get to experience any a few weeks ago.

I figure that close to Wis. and Chicago you have got to have some that arn't New York style or Wolf Gang Puck inspired.

Yes I can do Yelp but you people in the Twin Cities don't seem to be as avid about using it as out here based on the number of reviews I saw for things I did lookup in August.
Recommendations really are subjective because people like different things about pizza. Obviously, I like fresh ingredients. Some are content with canned tomatoes.

Cheese is important to me. I like mine stringy and chewy, not puddled into a near liquid.

The wonderful thing about the Twin Cities is that there are heaps of mom-n-pop, one-of-a-kind restaurants to choose from! That's actually my favorite thing about the Twin Cities over everything else.

So, here are my recommendations:

If you're in Uptown Minneapolis, Dulano's is fantastic. Lots of cheese and they have a really good sauce. Just make sure to ask for a pie cut, if you like traditional slices. They cut theirs into little squares, which I've NEVER understood.

My absolute, all-time favorite, hands down, no contest pizza that I've ever had comes from Punch. They have the best, most authentic, freshest ingredients and is the closest thing to real Italian pizza that I've ever had in the U.S. In fact, the only way I think they differ, is that Punch provides more toppings than they did when I was in Italy. Toppings are sparse there. But, the wood-fired oven they use to bake it in 90 seconds puts this pizza over the top.

I've heard fantastic things about Lola's (in Edina) but I haven't gotten there to try it yet.

Last edited by plain and simple; 09-14-2014 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 02:23 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,412,243 times
dominos is edible if you order the pan pizza

choose bacon as one of the toppings

also dont order thin crust unless you want to eat what taste like the pizza box with cheese on it

and breadsticks or parmesanbites with marinara is edible

also shoprunner(no idea how they stay in business) will get rid of the "delivery charge" i seem to get a renewed unpaid membership every year for some reason (comes i handy for a couple of online stores i may buy from)

Old 09-14-2014, 02:38 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,652,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
dominos is edible if you order the pan pizza

choose bacon as one of the toppings

also dont order thin crust unless you want to eat what taste like the pizza box with cheese on it

and breadsticks or parmesanbites with marinara is edible

also shoprunner(no idea how they stay in business) will get rid of the "delivery charge" i seem to get a renewed unpaid membership every year for some reason (comes i handy for a couple of online stores i may buy from)
I had the hand-tossed crust. I have to admit, it wasn't bad. It's the only improvement I noticed in Domino's. Pan is thick crust, right? That I can't do. It's like eating a loaf of bread in one sitting.

Bacon was one of my toppings. Glorious bacon. Let's face it, bacon is just a meat candy bar and is never the wrong answer. Unfortunately, I couldn't taste any bacon on my pizza. None of the topping flavors came out.

Actually, I just ordered a pizza from Dulano's. I had no idea they have finally have a website! New menu items, too. I love taco pizza so that's what I ordered. Can't wait till it gets here! I'm dreaming about all that chewy, stringy cheese!

Old 09-14-2014, 02:49 PM

145 posts, read 324,738 times
Pizza hut tomatoes taste canned to me even if they aren't. I like the Papa Johns tomatoes the best, but sometimes there's other considerations than whether tomatoes are canned or not when I order pizza- I love the Pizza hut stuffed crust and Dominos is by far the closet to me- like 5 minutes instead of 15.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:19 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,424,673 times
I don't order from Domnino's a lot since I have legit Italian Pizza places near me, but I have ordered a couple since the change when I have friends over since their not the Pizza professional that I am but I noticed a huge difference since the new CEO took over. Much better tasting pizza more or less back to the 30 min delivery time, pizza is built a lot better.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:55 PM

171 posts, read 195,649 times
avoid the noid

Old 09-14-2014, 06:05 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,847,256 times
Why pay $10 for 1 pizza? You can get 2 at Little Ceasers for that or make about 10 homemade ones!

I dont like Dominoes either BTW.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:12 PM

98 posts, read 199,702 times
I used to live on Nic & Grant for years (not at the expensive apartments next to Ichiban - the scary, dumpy place across the street). I loved Pizza Shack. Never had a pizza that was just great like that since. Someday I'll get down there to have it again, if it's still open...

Old 09-14-2014, 11:47 PM

988 posts, read 1,829,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
But, I have to address a couple things you said.

1. You couldn't possibly have read my post about the high bogus fees company's invent just to make more profit. I explained why I commented on the delivery fee. This is a field I'm very well acquainted with. That's why I said it would be more HONEST if they just raised their prices instead of pawning off bogus excuses for them that aren't true. Also, if they don't have to justify the extra charges, why do they continually try to, and lie about it? THAT'S the problem I have with it. It's not so much the fee as it is the deception behind what they feed the public about it. Ultimately, it hurts the drivers because those fees affect tip amounts. You say they're charging me for a service they're providing. True. But they were already charging for that when there WASN'T a fee named for it.
I generally understand where you're coming from, and have complained about add-on fees in other industries myself - most noticably in airlines with luggage fees. Luggage fees are far more difficult to avoid so I might give in to your argument there. However, it's easily avoidable in purchasing a pizza if you don't want to pay for the convenience.

Domino's and others included the cost in the price of food in the past, but I think the economics were different at that time. Inflation and rising costs hit Domino's just like everyone else, and there's still pressure to keep prices low with lots of competition. It has become more difficult to include the cost while maintaining the ROI on the product. It really has become, at least more so than the past, an expense not as easily hidden in the cost of the product.

As far as the amount of $2.50, it's probably not that unreasonable and think I disagree with your assessment it's a lot of profit. Many moons ago in the mid to late 90's I did pizza driving for Davanni's (which, BTW, charged it separately back then and made sense- with full sit down restaurants there was a much larger percentage of customers picking up or eating in). If we used our own vehicle we were reimbursed at that time around $.75-1.25 for compensation of gas, insurance, and wear and tear - and that's in an era of gas being around $1.05/gallon. More than tripling the price of gas plus increased insurance is surely going to up the reimbursement. Shoot, IRS lets you write off $.56/mile for mileage and it doesn't seem unreasonable for a driver to make 4 mile round trips, which is well on the way to $2.50/delivery.

In the end, the $2.50 delivery charge is disclosed pretty plainly on their website before you hit the "order" button. As mentioned, if you don't want to pay it go pick up the pizza.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:32 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,188,782 times
I don't know how anyone can actually eat and enjoy pizza from dominos and pizza hut......just my opinion...I guess one has to be Italian to understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul