Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 11:10 PM

10 posts, read 15,454 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be staying in Brookyn Center in a motel near Freeway Blvd / Shingle Creek Parkway for about a week. Is this area safe to stay or would you recommend else where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 11:15 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
Yikes! Why did you end up there? I'm not a BC expert but from what I've heard motels along the main thoroughfares are among the worst places to be. Maybe this is a nicer pocket of town.

I know the crime in BC is probably overstated but I can't help but worry that BC is destined to become a major slum-hole in the future (near and long-term).

Old 04-08-2015, 11:20 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solafive View Post
Hi,

I will be staying in Brookyn Center in a motel near Freeway Blvd / Shingle Creek Parkway for about a week. Is this area safe to stay or would you recommend else where?
I don't know this specific area of Brooklyn Center, but in general BC has a lot of crime and gang problems. Probably one of the worst areas, city or suburb, in the Twin Cities. I could be wrong, maybe it's a nice look nook, but I wouldn't choose this motel. If you are visiting someone in BC or your new job is a block from the motel, maybe. If proximity to something/someone isn't your main factor, look elsewhere. My .02

Old 04-09-2015, 06:21 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Brooklyn Center has some high crime areas but also some very nice areas. There are some nicer chains where you're staying, e.g. Marriott etc. that serve people calling on companies out that way. If it's something like this, you'll be fine. You're not going to be walking around anyway.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:57 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,959 times
I wouldn't be afraid to stay there, but I also wouldn't choose to stay there. Unless you have a compelling business or personal reason that you must be exactly there, I would suggest you move your stay to a more interesting corner of the city. "More interesting" in this case would be basically anywhere else, but I would recommend the downtown area for the highest concentration of amenities.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:28 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Calm down, everyone.

Brooklyn Center (especially at Freeway Boulevard and Shingle Creek Parkway) is perfectly safe. The Brooklyn Center Police Department is very close to this intersection, and it's a high-traffic area. Solafive, you'll be perfectly fine. The Twin Cities subforum on City-Data is probably the very last place you should be asking about crime; a lot of people here are sheltered exurbanites and equate seeing black people walking down the street to "sketchy" or "slummy".

As long as you'll be hanging out at the hotel or restaurants in the area, there is entirely nothing to worry about. Like anywhere else, just keep your wits about you, keep your car locked, don't go walking alone at night, and you'll have a great week.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:53 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,683 times
That are is as safe as any other area around here. I'm in that area frequently. It's not overly exciting but take precautions like you do anywhere and you'll be fine. The main thing I'd dislike about that location is the lack of variety for dining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I know the crime in BC is probably overstated but I can't help but worry that BC is destined to become a major slum-hole in the future (near and long-term).
They're making a lot of progress in Brooklyn Center. Crime has dropped a lot. I think there's a lot of positive things happening in the area. I think the reputation is harder for them to overcome than the crime.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:08 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Stay in Maple Grove, it isn't far away and a thousand times nicer. There's more selection of everything.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:22 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Stay in Maple Grove, it isn't far away and a thousand times nicer. There's more selection of everything.
What is in Maple Grove that isn't in every other suburb that makes it so great? Nordstrom Rack?

Old 04-09-2015, 06:26 PM

10 posts, read 15,454 times
Thank you everyone for chiming in with your information!

I am mostly going to be driving in towards the downtown Minneapolis area and will probably only be sleeping there. Also want to explore things around as I am from California and have never been to MN. I am excited to go and see!

I only asked because upon my search a lot of people were saying how bad it is and such so, I wanted to make sure I'm not staying in gang filled area or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul