Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the fact that most of the year the trees are bare in Minnesota bother you?
NO, I have other things to think about than trees! 11 57.89%
YES, it is brown and bleak for too long here 6 31.58%
I have no idea what you are talking about! 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 12:18 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

Advertisements

some ignorant people seem to not know there's a type of tree that covers most of the state that's known as an evergreen, it's....ever-green
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 01:07 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
I am just asking, does it bother you and does it impact your quality of life?
Does it affect my quality of life?!? No.....not one iota!

When I look out my back window, I see the lovely arrangement of my neighbor's 3 evergreen trees. My other neighbor has placed a bird feeder near them, so there is a wide variety of birds year round. When I look out my front door, I see the huge evergreen trees my other neighbor has lining his yard. When I look to the east, I see the river birch tree grouping with its gorgeous bark. If I don't want to look outside, I simply walk into my living room and look around the room...I have 12 different houseplants in there...huge houseplants.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:34 PM

950 posts, read 924,487 times
I solved the problem by retiring and moving to the Ozarks of north Arkansas.

Been here 3 years and love it.

Usually 20+ degrees warmer in winter with early spring, late falls and mild winters.

Make your money in Minnesota then take your money with you and retire here. Many Minnesotans have.

Getting away from high taxes is just icing on the cake.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:45 PM

195 posts, read 231,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
some ignorant people seem to not know there's a type of tree that covers most of the state that's known as an evergreen, it's....ever-green
There are few evergreen trees in the parts of MN most people live. Only in the North Woods, a part of the State where the rest of the trees are green for just four months.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:04 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,601,386 times
Quote:
There are few evergreen trees in the parts of MN most people live. Only in the North Woods, a part of the State where the rest of the trees are green for just four months.
That is what makes this state so great, is the different tree species that grow here, and the winters so special, going through the northwoods seeing evergreen trees, hardwoods birch, maple and so on.

Minnesota has special places not found anywhere else, at all, and specific ranges for its trees, and grass type lands, from the south to the northen part it is all special, that is why so many people come here to live, come here to raise family, and come here for recreation, because of the great wealth and the never ending variety of activities, from hiking to walking indoors.

People have always known that this place is one of the best, as far as the four seasons we have, and the summers not so overpowering hot and the great fall days, to the wintertime, where most people embrace the winter, and all the seasons.

Because it seems to bother you that the trees do not green up, its a part of where Minnesota is located on the map. As someone said it does get cold here, and there are some hot days, but that the trees do not green up any faster than they do? As was mentioned earlier, the trees, everything have been doint this for a very long time now, its hardly worth a second thought, it is just the way is.

Does it bother me? Not in the least.

Last edited by demtion35; 05-02-2015 at 07:26 PM..

Old 05-02-2015, 07:16 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,042 times
For me, Minnesota is paradise typically from April thru November with the lakes, forest, bike trails, great urban neighborhoods, parks, cultural amenities, educated population etc. Yes winter is cold, but there are actually certain aspects of it that I like as well. Some years the trees green in April, some years in May. I guess I really don't care. It's not like the south is some paradise either. Half the year its too stinking hot and in the winter the damp cold and ice storms are no picnic either.
Taxes may be higher, but it helps with a lot of things that attract me to the state- see educated population, bike paths, great neighborhoods, decent transit. I grew up in Missouri where it is typically warmer than Minnesota but I will not be living there again as long as I can help it. I find myself wanting to head back home to Minnesota every time I visit there. Maybe when I retire, I will spend a month or so each winter in Florida. I know a lot of retired people that do that but still maintain a Minnesota residence. You could not pay me enough to live in Florida year round!

Last edited by Minnesota Spring; 05-02-2015 at 07:44 PM..

Old 05-02-2015, 07:46 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
One of the worst things about living in Minnesota is the lack of greenery for most of the year. How many other places are the trees and bushes and yards green for less than half of the year. Many times it is late May before the trees finally turn green and the fall colors start in September. So there is 7 months or more of bare trees and no flowers or green grass.

Combine that with the terrible weather and I say it is bleak for too long. Agree?
You must not know how to plant pine, fir, and spruce trees that stay green all year long. I've had entire lots covered with them. Take a look at some landscaping and start taking notes.
With that being said, I do agree that the "leaf off" period for many deciduous trees is a bit long compared to other regions of the US. If you want a longer green period with a milder climate the Pacific Northwest would fit the bill.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:50 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
That is why most people plant evergreen trees in their yard and why many park areas have them. If you want greenery close to the house I like Balsam Fir for northern and eastern exposure areas of the property (good for windbreaks). They have less in the way of roots and do not have large overhanging branches.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:13 PM

182 posts, read 197,421 times
Look at the bright side--trees without leaves allow for maximum solar warming exactly when it's needed most. And it's really only an issue in the shoulder seasons since bare trees against a snowy landscape in winter are beautiful.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:47 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
I'm in the metro and there are evergreens here....they are all around my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul